what the hell with mages 5.2 nerf

Mage
why is mages dps so low in this patch be it pvp or pve ? do Blizzard employees even know how to develop the mage class , i don't have to give any instances on how we mages underperform in whichever spec as those who played the mage class will already know what is the problem.

we are a pure DPS class with no access to healing or tanking, we do what our class requires which is pure DPS but even then we are so called stripped of our DPS capability by classes that have tank or healing spec. This is not a learn to play issue as i am a classic player who have been playing on and off , almost all classes have gotten a buff in damage in this patch 5.2 except mage which was hit by lots of nerfs.

i understand everyone wants a buff to their class but we don't whine for no reason,we don't have to global players in PVP we want to be competative .Blizzard people should check this forum and listen to its players to fix this class for it being so bad in terms of development.

and those who do not play a mage but criticize on this forum "EXPECTO PATRONUM!!!"
Low DPS? Be a frost mage, you won't have any problems.

The problem was arcane being the most viable spec and by far the easiest. The level 90 talents just made it a nuisance. I think that all three specs need to be in close proximity of each other in order for it to be fair. Frost is best for PvE and PvP and fire should be best for PvE.
Blizzard just destroyed the Mages.
If there was any justice for mages fire would be the best pve damage. Payback for having to go frost/arcane in the days of mc
They want Mages to be harder to play.

"Play better." ~ Ghostcrawler
http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/25N/all/14/60/default/
If there was any justice for mages fire would be the best pve damage. Payback for having to go frost/arcane in the days of mc

Who went arcane in MC?

Considering fire has been the top mage DPS spec for the majority of the game's lifespan, claiming payback for having to go frost 8 years ago is stupid.
As Arcane I've noticed that my single target non-movement fights, I've lost 20-30k dps. Also Keeping Mana up is a nightmare now, since AB drains it rapidly, just to get to a 4 stack we lose ~20% mana and because of our Mastery that in itself is a dps hit.

Thats showing that pre-5.2 mages were near top of the dps pack, now they're near bottom.

It's not the first time Mages have suffered a major nerf. Mages were *the* dps class in Vanilla and then maybe about 1/4 of the way into BC were beaten with the nerf bat. It was so bad that some of the more competitive servers wanted mages for tables and buffs and that was it.

So, nihil novi. It happened before and it is happening again and it'll be another class in a few patches or next xpack.

ETA: I don't think there is a way for Blizz to balance all of the classes in pvp or pve. It's like trying to keep all he subscribers happy. Good luck.
03/08/2013 11:36 AMPosted by Jacara

Thats showing that pre-5.2 mages were near top of the dps pack, now they're near bottom.

Indeed. I was making the point that we got smacked with the nerfbat. ;(
03/08/2013 12:50 PMPosted by Noraelidra

It's not the first time Mages have suffered a major nerf. Mages were *the* dps class in Vanilla and then maybe about 1/4 of the way into BC were beaten with the nerf bat. It was so bad that some of the more competitive servers wanted mages for tables and buffs and that was it.

So, nihil novi. It happened before and it is happening again and it'll be another class in a few patches or next xpack.

The only time mages ever collectively got sat due to low dps was at the end of Burning Crusade when Sunwell Plateau was the current content.

Warlocks and shadow priests had amazing synergy. Each warlock increased the dps of shadow damage done to the target. And it stacked. So the more warlocks you had the more shadow damage all your shadow damage dealers did to the target. Combined with very low mage dps at the time, and raids found they got much better results when they brought a 5th warlock instead of a second mage. Many top progressing guilds at the time would bring just 0 or 1 mage to the raid.

That stacking synergy is gone, so hopefully the issue won't be as severe now. My own raid group is progressing slowly as we only have the first boss down. On Jinrokh, I was very unimpressed with my performance. In a 10 player raid I was 5th as arcane and 4th as frost. The previous tier I very often came in 1st, yet on Jinrokh I was far in the back with 30% lower dps than our top dps. Yuck!

However, on Horridon, frost seems to do better, as I'm 1st on the meter on most of our attempts due to all the cleave damage. We don't yet have a kill though so I expect my ranking to drop once we get to the final phase.

It's very disheartening seeing posts by other mages who are much further progressed, confirming that even at high levels of gear and progression, mages suck this tier.
Finally mages can't just top DPS charts in greens with one hand on the keyboard and the other hand slowly feeding a pizza to their face.

Arcane Blast's damage has been reduced by 22.9% and mana cost has been increased to 1.66667% of base mana (was 1.5%).
Arcane Missiles's damage has been reduced by 22.1%.
Arcane Barrage's damage has been reduced by 16.1%.

Tears of joy streamed down my face when I read this.
03/08/2013 01:01 PMPosted by Mistwynd

The only time mages ever collectively got sat due to low dps was at the end of Burning Crusade when Sunwell Plateau was the current content.

Warlocks and shadow priests had amazing synergy. Each warlock increased the dps of shadow damage done to the target. And it stacked. So the more warlocks you had the more shadow damage all your shadow damage dealers did to the target. Combined with very low mage dps at the time, and raids found they got much better results when they brought a 5th warlock instead of a second mage. Many top progressing guilds at the time would bring just 0 or 1 mage to the raid.

That stacking synergy is gone, so hopefully the issue won't be as severe now. My own raid group is progressing slowly as we only have the first boss down. On Jinrokh, I was very unimpressed with my performance. In a 10 player raid I was 5th as arcane and 4th as frost. The previous tier I very often came in 1st, yet on Jinrokh I was far in the back with 30% lower dps than our top dps. Yuck!

However, on Horridon, frost seems to do better, as I'm 1st on the meter on most of our attempts due to all the cleave damage. We don't yet have a kill though so I expect my ranking to drop once we get to the final phase.

It's very disheartening seeing posts by other mages who are much further progressed, confirming that even at high levels of gear and progression, mages suck this tier.

Not just that but Sunwell gave the raid a buff to Intell, making the one buff Mages could do pointless.
My god you have never played a mage have you? Fire mages are one of the toughest classes to play and I know, since I have played so many. They have situational DPS, which requires you to create the situation. In cata, I played shatter fire. They had some top burst, medium sustained, med utility, and low survivability. As of patch 5.2 they have low dps and the rest stays the same.

The problem came from people like you complainging when a fully raid geared mage joined your heroic and pulled 130k dps while you did 20k (clearly your bad) and then you !@#$%ed to blizzard.

In raids mages could top, but so could soo many other classes. They just killed a class. Its people like you who do not know how to play that complain and screw the game up. People say shaman healing is tough. I have a priest as well and I am a beast with this class too. No more heroics though.
My god you have never played a mage have you? Fire mages are one of the toughest classes to play and I know, since I have played so many. They have situational DPS, which requires you to create the situation. In cata, I played shatter fire. They had some top burst, medium sustained, med utility, and low survivability. As of patch 5.2 they have low dps and the rest stays the same.

The problem came from people like you complainging when a fully raid geared mage joined your heroic and pulled 130k dps while you did 20k (clearly your bad) and then you !@#$%ed to blizzard.

In raids mages could top, but so could soo many other classes. They just killed a class. Its people like you who do not know how to play that complain and screw the game up. People say shaman healing is tough. I have a priest as well and I am a beast with this class too. No more heroics though.

Finally mages can't just top DPS charts in greens with one hand on the keyboard and the other hand slowly feeding a pizza to their face.

Arcane Blast's damage has been reduced by 22.9% and mana cost has been increased to 1.66667% of base mana (was 1.5%).

i'm assuming the top comment was aimed at the bottom comment.

PS - i agree with the top.
Low DPS? Sellout, give in to blizzBe a frost mage, you won't have any problems.

The problem was arcane being the most viable spec and by far the easiest. The level 90 talents just made it a nuisance. I think that all three specs need to be in close proximity of each other in order for it to be fair. Frost is best for PvE and PvP and fire should be best for PvE.

http://worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Throne_of_Thunder/dps/

These 24 mages seem to disagree.

http://simulationcraft.org/520/Raid_T15H.html

Even after accounting for movement, this doesn't look like "sucking" to me. Give hunters a whirl, it might make your eyes bleed if you already think mages are bad.

Aww how cute it's a hybrid who has no idea what he's talking about.