Another Direhorn thread , sorry!

Hunter
TL;DR : For what you get and the time put in, the direhorn falls short imo.

Im sorry to make another thread about this, assuming theres a ton already ( I didnt see any main topic threads on the subject ).

Anyway someone help me wrap my mind around this. I dont mean to sound unappreciative of new pets but I dont see any "advantages" so to speak for getting a direhorn other than cosmetic looks.

You have to grind a tome to be able to learn the ability to tame the creature, its not exotic so theres no exotic ability in addition to its innate one AND its special move is not as good as it looks on paper.

I thought ooo a spell deflect! I was thinking of ways to make use of this ability. I thought you could activate it and then stand behind the direhorn and have a cool spell deflect. A sort of shooting over the animal while being defended from spells for 6 seconds. However, if a caster is NOT targeting the pet specifically his spells will go RIGHT through the "shield".

Only if the caster is directly targeting the pet while its using its special will it deflect. I think it should at LEAST work where you could stand behind it and any spell in the path of the shield gets deflected. That way it would be more tactical.

Your thoughts.
With a proper macro it shouldn't be that difficult to use effectively.
I was sick of mine within a few hours. It's now sitting in my inactive stable, and will probably be deleted once a new spirit beast comes out. lol
Would be awesome if tamed Direhorns instead had that Charge and Tri Horn Attack their wild counterparts had. Sense they require a book to grind it wouldn't be OP for a MM/Surv to have a pet with 2 attacks.
but I dont see any "advantages" so to speak for getting a direhorn other than cosmetic looks.

I pretty much that that was the only reason?

I was fine with that lol Cosmetics were the same reason I hunted down and tamed more then one spirit beasts and most of the other pets I have lol
The Direhorn special is clunky and basically fails in comparison to other PVP and PVE pet abilities. It sucks that arguably the best pet model in game is essentially useless. Maybe even more of a reason for Blizzard to implement universal pet abilities. Making any and every pet skin viable. True customization.
If you thought this would be anything other than a pocket tank...

Well no, I didnt think it would make me auto win but you get what Im saying.

When a DK does anti magic shell the shell is independent and will work against ALL spells entering it on a targeted player inside the shell or affect spells that pass through it.

As stated, you can activate this pets ability , stand behind it and ( actually tested with this ) have a druid friend cast wrath's targeting YOU. The spell will pass right through the spell deflect and still hit you. It should deflect it imo. That way there would be more use to it.

As it stands now the only way this spell is useful is if you have a caster on the run and he LOS's you with the pet on him and starts trying to nuke the pet. Thats kinda lacking ya know? Especially since this pet in now way at all has anything to deal with melee. This pet's ability makes the corehound's casting speed debuff seem uber.
think your underestimating what you can use this pet for ... example boomking doting everything he sees.. direhorn refelct .... frost bomb .. direhorn refelct ... frost nova ... direhorn refelct ...
basicaly any aoe that hurts will help keep up dmg on your target in pvp ...

it has it uses .. just have to figure out the best use for him ... soon as i get one ill be using it in my new kitting formation ... 20 yards away from target blasting them while direhorn chomps at there heels and spell reflects aoe they throw at me ...... assuming i have it up at the right time
I like my old fire turtle better than the new direhorns.
I was underwhelmed by it's ability. I like the look, but wolf still brings more to a group, so I still end up using the wolf more than Bluecheez the direhorn.

Hoping someone comes up with a unique and interesting way to use it that I had thought of that makes it more useful.
think your underestimating what you can use this pet for ... example boomking doting everything he sees.. direhorn refelct .... frost bomb .. direhorn refelct ... frost nova ... direhorn refelct ...

it has it uses .. just have to figure out the best use for him ... soon as i get one ill be using it in my new kitting formation ... 20 yards away from target blasting them while direhorn chomps at there heels and spell reflects aoe they throw at me ...... assuming i have it up at the right time

So it actually better vs AOE? IF so I can work around it and find a better use other than chasing a fleeing caster.
Move over sporebat, youve been replaced as the joke of pets yaaaaaaaaa!!! more useless but better looking ftw :) luv it lol

I don't yet have one so can't comment form personal experience, but... the tooltip says "deflect", not "reflect". This is the first I've heard about them being able to reflect damage back at the caster. Have you actually tried this, or are you just assuming?
I deleted mine the minute I read that the deflect shield only protects the pet, not the hunter or anyone else. Not that I thought it had any practical use to begin with, but that really settled it for me. It's a vanity pet, and with so little space in the stable, who can afford those?
I agree it's sadly lacking in actual utility, but what time put in? Go to the isle, kill a few dinomancers, get a book, click it, tame a direhorn, not exactly huge time investment there ;p

I just actually grabbed one today, couldn't be bothered with it before, but I hit exalted with sunreaver offensive and got my crimson direhorn mount, so I went and tamed a crimson direhorn to match, they're actually both the exact same size so it looks pretty cool. ;p

That's all they really are, vanity pets, what it's lacking though....is a matching companion pet! WTB baby direhorn battlepets!
I love my dire horn. He has the best skin and animation of any pet put in the game when I am doing dailies he is just a monster plain and simple I love to watch him fight. I never had expectations of greatness on him just expectations of an awesome looking tank pet.

He fits that bill better then any other pet I have seen blizzard implement in this game. I chose the green one due to the fact it matched my pve gear set so nicely and I had to name him Slag for obvious reasons.