Jade Owl needs attention.

Pet Battles
This pet is way too unique, cool and gorgeous to have nothing but the abilities of a common bird on a magic type. It doesn't even have nocturnal or predatory strike. Harpy Youngling is similar, but it has the humanoid +heal racial, as well as Counterstrike. The only good move the Jade Owl has is Lift-off, and I can't see any reason why anyone would take Cyclone rather than Lift-Off.

Jade Owl should have a unique ability. I'd like to see it use some sort of Jade Paralysis like the panthers in Pandaria.
Either...
-Stacking debuff that turns the opponent to stone, damaging them and either stunning them or rooting them in place once it gets to 3 stacks. Debuff stacks each time jade beam is used, and the stacks are a light dot that lasts for 4 rounds.
-A move similar to Frog Kiss. It's spammable, damage increases with each hit, and has a chance to CC the opponent.
-Ability that, once activated, will turn the opponent to Jade in 1 or 2 turns.
-Or simply give it the Crystal Prison ability.

Post your support, as well as other pets you think deserve attention to become viable. Also, if you have other ideas for an ability for the Jade Owl, I'd love to hear them. Maybe we'll get looked at.../hopeful
A group-healing ability might be reasonable instead, as well. Jade is associated with healing in Pandaria, and this would make it the only magic pet with a group heal (to my knowledge). That's special-ish.

Failing that, give it a weather effect. This pet needs SOMETHING.

Also, why the heck can't the Jade Owl fly with me on my mount? :(
You think the Jade Owl isn't viable? It is *the* anti-aquatic pet since it has flying moves (+ damage to aquatic) and aquatics do less damage to magic. So it's a double counter. Jade Owl's awesomeness and accessibility means it frequently makes "must have" or "10 ten" pet lists.
If I had to pick a pet that needs help I'd probably go with the Sapphire Cub. Beautiful pet, totally doesn't fit in the elemental family. Seems like it should be a magic pet. Move set is lackluster as well.
That is one point I guess. I'd just like to see it have some utility other than being good solely against aquatics. You can't get much use out of it in pvp unless you can guarantee that your opponent will have an aquatic pet, which, let's face it -- aquatics are pretty rare in pvp matches.
Right now the only real use for it would be if you were fighting NPC pets (i.e. pandaren water spirit) and knew you were going to face an aquatic.
Kinda unfairly limiting. I'd like to at least see Cyclone replaced with one of the abilities I mentioned, so that we'll get to choose between Liftoff and one of those. Right now Lift-Off's second tier move is not comparable with itself at all, so really there's 0 option in that tier. They're supposed to be tricky choices that depend on your favored playstyle, not just "you get Lift-Off, here's a useless ability to fill the other space so it looks like you have a choice when you actually don't." Emerald Proto-whelp has Emerald Dream in its Liftoff's second tier -- one of the most powerful healing abilities in pet matches atm. No reason why we can't choose a heal or a CC instead of an avoid.

Would be nice if Hawk Eye were replaced with something else, too. When your basic attack is a cluster of little scratches like Slicing Wind/Thrash, getting a crit on one of your slashes is not going to devastate the opponent enough for it to be worth wasting a turn putting up Hawk Eye. Not worth it for Liftoff either because of its miss chance.

Adrenaline Rush goes well with Thrash. Would honestly be nice to see something like Exposed Wounds to go with Slicing Wind, which I assume is what you're using against aquatics.
Good points OP. The Minfernal would like to have a talk with you as well.
Jade Owl is actually pretty useful when upgraded. His moveset is nothing special, but he is a monster against aquatics. Not great for pvp since nobody uses aquatics, but there are much more useless pets to complain about.

Most of the pets in 5.2 are pretty useless despite their gorgeous models. Thundertail Flapper, Electrified Razortooth and the Swamp Croakers all look great, but are almost totally un-useable. At least the raptors are good. Maybe too good. And the Elder Python has some interesting possibilites.
You think the Jade Owl isn't viable? It is *the* anti-aquatic pet since it has flying moves (+ damage to aquatic) and aquatics do less damage to magic. So it's a double counter. Jade Owl's awesomeness and accessibility means it frequently makes "must have" or "10 ten" pet lists.

In theory, yes. In practice, no.

Jade Owl has two primary attacks. The less effective of those attacks is the Flying attack. It's also a multi-hit attack, meaning that it's nearly worthless against Shell Shield.

Adrenaline Rush and Hawk Eye are both terrible.

Lift-off isn't that bad... on a fast or a powerful pet that's planning to face pets with massive cooldown attacks. Jade Owl is neither fast nor powerful and most Aquatics don't have massive cooldown attacks. The ones that do (Striders and Crocolisks) are almost exclusively used to counter elementals and otherwise never see the light of day.

From memory, there are 5 Aquatics in tamer battles. Against 2 of them, the Jade Owl is decent. Against the remaining 3, it's mediocre.

If you happen to like the specific Jade Owl move set, you'd be better served getting a 341 power Dragonbone Hatchling. It goes first, hits significantly harder and takes less damage because you're in far more danger from Beast attacks when fighting Aquatics than you are Aquatic attacks.

If you're not married to terrible moves, pick up a Crow/Raven. You can mindlessly Alpha Strike most Aquatics to death. Against Aquatics with Surge, you can actually break out the Darkness + Nocturnal Strike tech.
Agreed Mer...
Too many aquatics have shell shield to justify jade owl being "the anti-aquatic pet" and having thrash/slicing wind as its main attacks..
Blizz cared enough to nerf...hope they care enough to buff.
Jade Owl is actually pretty useful when upgraded. His moveset is nothing special, but he is a monster against aquatics. Not great for pvp since nobody uses aquatics, but there are much more useless pets to complain about.

Most of the pets in 5.2 are pretty useless despite their gorgeous models. Thundertail Flapper, Electrified Razortooth and the Swamp Croakers all look great, but are almost totally un-useable. At least the raptors are good. Maybe too good. And the Elder Python has some interesting possibilites.

I disagree.

I've made a VERY effective Razortooth team. The Razortooth has excellent damage to any number of pet types. It'll take out machines, ruin fellow elementals, and rip open a critter and leave it to bleed to death. It can also shut down teams that rely on switching to set up a combo - and it can shut them down hard. It works well with a Call Lightning Team, an Expose Wounds/Wild Magic team, a Plagued Blood Team, or a mix of two of these.

Oh - and the Jade Owl is a terrible anti-aquatic pet. A crow or a moth (or, really, any flying pet with a move-set other than 'Generic Parrot/Buzzard!') - or an ooze - would all be superior. Its abilities are weak, and its flying damage is way low. If it had even a basic Peck it'd be a big improvement.

The only benefit I can see to the Jade Owl is Adrenaline Rush comboing with Thrash - and with Lift-Off.

A not-very-quick pet with Adrenaline Rush and Lift-Off has the potential to play a pretty dirty trick on its opponent with the right timing: lifting off on a turn when it's faster - then setting down on a turn when it is slower.
A not-very-quick pet with Adrenaline Rush and Lift-Off has the potential to play a pretty dirty trick on its opponent with the right timing: lifting off on a turn when it's faster - then setting down on a turn when it is slower.

And then crying when the trick is wasted because the ability doesn't hit.