Class Hotfixes – 3/12

General Discussion
Prev 1 32 33 34 58 Next
Frost Bomb now deals 60% of its damage when used against other players, down from 80%.

Effectively a 5% buff in PvP then?
(1.0 * 0.8 = 0.80) - pre-buff
(1.4 * 0.8 = 1.12) - post-buff
(1.4 * 0.6 = 0.84) - post-buff with nerf
0.84 / 0.80 = 0.05

That seems fine, to be fair.
Wow, if anything I'd expected you guys to do a minor Howling Blast buff.

And didn't you just buff SW:P?? Why did you bother?

And while Chain Lightning is currently very strong, Ele Shammies are still a little lackluster otherwise. How did they end up ignored this hotfix pass? Oh, and WW monks...heck, I almost forgot they exist.

No objection to the Living Bomb change, but the other mage specs were probably in okay shape.

The Howling Blast and SW:P changes are just baffling, though. Stop giving Shadow buffs if you're only going to revert them every time.
Dumb nerf to Shadow is dumb.

gotta nerf something while ignoring others here.. cant let it look like they are ONLY buffing mages can they? that would mean it looks like they only care about mages really.
First you nerf Sacrifice Pet, but you buff the other abilities to compensate

Then you nerf the compensated abilities because of another reason

1 nerf + 1 buff + 1nerf = A nerf......
Lead Systems Designer Greg Street (Ghostcrawler) wanted to give notice of several class hotfixes that went live last night along with the reasoning behind those changes.

Hotfixes:

• Mage: Nether Tempest, Living Bomb, Frost Bomb damage +40%.

• We’re happy with the relative power of Arcane, Fire and Frost mages in PvE to each other, but all three specs are below where we want them. We were hoping that once groups got past the first few 5.2 raid encounters that benefit a lot from multi-dotting that we’d see mage DPS climb, but it’s not there yet. We don’t want to change rotations or force players to change specs, so we wanted a relatively passive change.

We decided to buff the bombs because it affects all three specs relatively similarly and is as close to a passive form of damage as mages have. Had we buffed the cast-time nukes, the risk is that mages would lose even more DPS on high movement or high multi-dot fights, which wasn’t our intent. If these buffs aren’t sufficient, we will happily make more, but we’d rather make a few buffs a few times in a row rather than over buff then have to nerf it back down.

• Warlock: Corruption damage -25%.
  • Warlock: Doom damage -25%.

• Brilliant.
    mage / dk buffs

what else is new?

Actually that was nerfs on DK =P
    Personally buff haunt more to compensate for the 6%+ loss in single target, as well increase Seed damage to compensate for the hard AOE nerf that is the only thing that makes sense without having to compromise "multitarget goodness".
    03/12/2013 04:29 PMPosted by Cyous
    Frost Bomb now deals 60% of its damage when used against other players, down from 80%.

Effectively a 5% buff in PvP then?

That would be correct.
    03/12/2013 04:34 PMPosted by Rygarius

Effectively a 4% buff in PvP then?

That would be correct.

And it needed to hit harder because... it's so difficult to get off? Because it's such a skill-based ability? Because mages don't already have enough burst with typical shatter combos?
    That would be correct.

So this only applies to frost bomb?

And nether tempest that was strong as it was before in pvp? Because the only weak (at least compared to the other two) mage bomb was living bomb.
    03/12/2013 04:34 PMPosted by Rygarius

That would be correct.

WTB answers on resto shaman's complete ineffectiveness in T15.
    That would be correct.

It's actually 5% (whoopsie)
    03/12/2013 04:29 PMPosted by Cyous

Not a 4% buff. Math doesn't agree with that.

((New value - original value)/original value) = %change.

This is a 5% buff to pvp. Not exactly a huge change in any event.
    /follow reverted in arenas like bashiok/gc said it was going to be..................
    And it needed to hit harder because... it's so difficult to get off? Because it's such a skill-based ability? Because mages don't already have enough burst with typical shatter combos?

That's GC giving the PvP mages a bonus. Just like how mages were supposed to be mobile, control and the burst was just a bonus since it was fun.
    lol i love ppl crying about mage buffs, when they dont even read properly, omg 40% buff? oh wait if I read properly i would see its only 5%. Frost bomb op! Oh whats this button? dispell? oh cool, frost bomb damage nerfed to 0%!!
    You can nerf me all you want, life finds a way.
    I really would like to seem some Shammy buffs.