Warlock Question

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
Why don't mages retain any of their abilities when they become a warlock? Or can they?
For instance, why can't warlocks conjure ice, portals, and mana-biscuits? It doesn't make sense to me that they would just lose all of that knowledge after years of studying it.
Game mechanics? Or maybe they do not wish to use something so ordinary and like using their new fel powers. I can think of a few things that are still there, like fire magic. I am thinking it is strictly a voluntary thing.

And they do have portals in a sense, but they cannot use the mage portals because it puts them in the line of fire. If a warlock were to appear in a mage training area they would likely be instantly killed or something.

I see it as more like they are too self serving to give someone else mana biscuits. Maybe they think it is beneath them to do so?
We can conjure portals, both in lore and game mechanics.

Remember the Dark Portal, arguably the most important portal in the history of Warcraft? All Warlocks.
Game balance. That's all. Lore-wise, yes, we still can do all that stuff. In-game? No, we cannot.
Why would you want to?

The fel grants abilities far beyond what a mage can conjure - while a mage can stand against a warlock and either match him/her or triumph, a warlock's spells are much stronger and have much more damaging effects than a mage's repertoire.
I'm going out on a limb here, but I think that it has to do with what kind of magic you're using.

Things like conjuring food and manipulating things to ice are all schools of arcane magic.

Warlocks don't use arcane magic. They use fel magic, and therefore they have different kinds of abilities they can use.

I could be wrong though, so no promises.
Warlocks have no need for conjured food. We can rip the life essence out of others.

We have no need for portals. If we have need of someone, we summon them to US.

We have no reason to freeze an opponents feet to stall movement, for we are able to fill the enemy with enough fear to make them stop dead in their tracks?

Why don't warlocks use mage magic? Because we're better than that!
Why don't mages retain any of their abilities when they become a warlock? Or can they?
For instance, why can't warlocks conjure ice, portals, and mana-biscuits? It doesn't make sense to me that they would just lose all of that knowledge after years of studying it.

Game balancing mechanics are not lore. Game mechanics dictate warlocks cannot conjure ice, portals, or food because Blizzard feels these should be characteristics of the mage class and not the warlock class.

I haven't personally encountered any actual -lore- that says your warlock cannot conjure ice or do any of the things he used to do before he started dabbling in fel magic.

Korrena summed up beautifully why a warlock may not feel INCLINED to do these things often anymore.

I roleplay a blood mage, which is often describe as a mage/warlock hybrid. So, for a destruction warlock or fire mage I can often blur the specs and "use" Flamestrike and Immolation quite liberally. Of course this also limits me mainly to fire spells, since those are iconic of the blood magi. The class lore states the blood elves abandoned the traditional frost spells of the Kirin Tor to the fire and heat of what some people believe to be demonic magic, which can be interpreted in various ways.

Now, game mechanic wise, yes it would be extremely overpowered for warlocks to use the spells of their former profession. Indeed, some warlock spells seem to be a step up from the typical conjuration spells of mages (i.e. Healthstones, Demonic Portals).

The main reason why a warlock couldn't summon a blizzard even if he had the power/knowledge is that he's on fel blood, which makes all of your spells that you cast fel spells. Only a sober warlock could summon typical magesque spells, and I doubt you'd find many sober warlocks.
When did humans start to practice the Fel arts? Have they always or was it only after the orcs brought it with them during the second war?
Oh and not all warlocks were mages at first. Remember Orc shamans?
When did humans start to practice the Fel arts? Have they always or was it only after the orcs brought it with them during the second war?

Probably around the same time they had mages - so 2,000 years ago.
I recall reading a WoWpedia article somewhere, maybe a Kirin Tor page, where it mentioned the behavior of frost magic being safer and more generally accepted than fire. So, if I remember correctly, this might also be explained in the story as the style of frost being less preferable for someone who makes pacts with demons, which is ambitious, risky, and often frowned upon.

But even acknowledging this as a trend in the story, I don't see why commanding any elemental school would be outside of an equipped spellcaster's reach. Some of the Broken mobs in Outland were a sort of corrupted shaman with lightning spells, so there's one example of fel working with another magic school besides fire.

And with the biscuits issue, my take would be that dark magic doesn't create things the same way a pure power would... or at least nothing that should be edible.
I always liked to imagine using Fel in your magic made casting 'finesse' spells like Blink impossible because the magic is too chaotic for such fine tuned things. That's why the only way a Warlock can teleport is with set runes or gateways.

As long as there are arcane users, there will also be users who abuse the arcane. I have no doubt in my mind that since the orcs came, human Fel users have gone up as well.

I recall reading a WoWpedia article somewhere, maybe a Kirin Tor page, where it mentioned the behavior of frost magic being safer and more generally accepted than fire. So, if I remember correctly, this might also be explained in the story as the style of frost being less preferable for someone who makes pacts with demons, which is ambitious, risky, and often frowned upon.

But even acknowledging this as a trend in the story, I don't see why commanding any elemental school would be outside of an equipped spellcaster's reach. Some of the Broken mobs in Outland were a sort of corrupted shaman with lightning spells, so there's one example of fel working with another magic school besides fire.

And with the biscuits issue, my take would be that dark magic doesn't create things the same way a pure power would... or at least nothing that should be edible.

There is some truth here. The reason blood elf mages switched to pyromancy is it suited their vengeful, fiery demeanor. Also, the reason why most mages use water elementals as opposed to the other types is mainly due to safety (and perhaps control). Medivh used fire elementals, I believe.

I always liked to imagine using Fel in your magic made casting 'finesse' spells like Blink impossible because the magic is too chaotic for such fine tuned things. That's why the only way a Warlock can teleport is with set runes or gateways.

You might have a point, there. I don't see Fel spells as typically easy to manipulate. Of course, warlocks might just be a reckless bunch in the first place.