Why do all "fun" items have such long CDs?

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next
Please explain the exploiting potential of Smite's Compass? or Orb of Sin'dorei? or ANY of the shapeshifting toys that change your race?

I'm sorry but there isn't one. It's just there for a money grab to get people to pay for race changes if they are bored with their current race.

Their already pathetically short time period is only a temporary buff that doesn't persist through death. You're so into restricting things that you think everything is an exploit when so much opportunity could be gained from allowing players to remain entertained as they play.
I think the transformation items should have a shorter cool down at least? I don't really see how you could mess around with those. I just wanna look cool in my raid group D:
Please explain the exploiting potential of Smite's Compass? or Orb of Sin'dorei? or ANY of the shapeshifting toys that change your race?

Please understand that they are not talking about CDs in place but when CDs are changed that it is "mostly" because of an exploit. (not always)

I am sure if you had calmly read the blue post, you would have seen that.
So what is the 'cheat' that is being exploited by using Ra'sha's Dagger?

That one is kinda obvious, you 're just being plain ignorant...
03/20/2013 07:21 AMPosted by Zhana
So what is the 'cheat' that is being exploited by using Ra'sha's Dagger?

That one is kinda obvious, you 're just being plain ignorant...

You know, someone that looks at an item and can't immediately come up with a way to cheat/exploit with it is not a bad thing. Some people lack the ability to be devious and that is ok. Now if they had read the thread, it was spelled out a few times.
Well, if I had to give a serious answer... it's most likely because they don't want them being useable long enough to make them get old. i.e. If they were seen too often, they wouldn't have much appeal.

Really? That's the answer? They got old about a day after I had them. What I find more amusing is the things like the Hozen Peace Pipe, which remained without a cooldown for over a week after Pandaria's launch, allowing people to leap frog on Realm First rep progression, and then a 7 day CD was added, making it impossible for anyone else to compete, but those who scouted the PTR and new what to abuse.

What's the PTR for anyway? Scouting bosses and figuring out exploits that you'll never be held accountable for?
Much of the time, 'fun' items are nerfed to prevent an exploit of one sort or another.

Cheaters are why you can't have nice things. Well, they're still pretty nice, just not as often.

I don't get it. What about all of those little morph items? That iron dwarf flask, leyara's locket, that thingy that turn you into a firelands druid, and all the other ones... how can those possibly be exploited? It only changes your appearance :/
03/20/2013 07:34 AMPosted by Stabbeh
I don't get it. What about all of those little morph items? That iron dwarf flask, leyara's locket, that thingy that turn you into a firelands druid, and all the other ones... how can those possibly be exploited?

People in this thread seem to be missung something....
Please understand that they are not talking about CDs in place but when CDs are changed that it is "mostly" because of an exploit. (not always)
I don't get it. What about all of those little morph items? That iron dwarf flask, leyara's locket, that thingy that turn you into a firelands druid, and all the other ones... how can those possibly be exploited?

People in this thread seem to be missung something....

What does that mean? I still do not get why I can make someone orange for 3 seconds with a 10 minute cooldown or whatever it is.
Much of the time, 'fun' items are nerfed to prevent an exploit of one sort or another.

Cheaters are why you can't have nice things. Well, they're still pretty nice, just not as often.

That is the post, in my eyes this:

is playing with words

its not really that nice if you cant use it as often. things that have 30 min cd's should be things like the orb that turns you into a blood elf. if something that kills me has a 5 min cooldown i feel like carrying it around all the time cause it will be there if i need it and i can have fun with people in orgrimmar, when it has a 30 min cd i feel like putting it in my bank. If you wanted to prevent an exploit do something that stops that exploit, not something that stops them exploit and stops the item from being fun. Not the best blue post ive seen in a while.
If people were exploiting it by everyone using it during raids, then why not make it so the dagger can't be used in raids (like some of the pandaria items from rares).

I do admit, I used it when raiding when it is an obvious wipe and you get told to "wipe it", which is a lot quicker than just waiting to die. I don't see how a whole raid team using the daggers to wipe though is an exploit?

I also like the idea on my paladin to use it. I miss the good ol days wiping in TOGC and constantly having to use DI.

One thing I would really like to change is the cooldown on Visions of Insanity.
What does that mean? I still do not get why I can make someone orange for 3 seconds with a 10 minute cooldown or whatever it is.

What it means is...

There is no "exploit" with those items. That is just what their CD is set to. The Blue post you quoted said "Nerfed". So when they change an item's CD, it is because of an exploit "much of the time" (not all of the time either).

So, the items you, and many other people, linked have nothing to do with the blue post you keep quoting.

03/20/2013 09:19 AMPosted by Evìll
I don't see how a whole raid team using the daggers to wipe though is an exploit?
Repair bills are a part of progression raiding. Removing them for every attempt is wrong (and maybe even bad for raiding in the end).

Then there is the whole thing of the item becoming "mandatory" for raiders.

Do explain how one exploits by suicide, or becoming a gorrilla (and losing a trinet spot) with samian sphere

Please, really, I'm very interested on how to use these to by pass mechanics.
Could just make it not useable in combat.

Or not in raids ? I mean if there's certain items that wont work in RBG's and Arena's I'm sure they can implement the same thing with raids.

How can killing yourself be cheating?
You know what you're normally supposed to do with cheaters? Ban them. Not ruin things for people who are doing no wrong. But, that would bite into Blizzards profit margins.
Am I the only person that saw the tooltip on the dagger and immediately thought it was a pre-wipe tool? The cooldown was too short, but I just assumed you'd use an item that auto-killed you to avoid a durability hit.

I have a hard time believing all the people on this thread didn't see this and think it's cheating. Not sure what to say to people that think an moderately rare item you keep in your inventory that auto-kills you should have more penalties associated with it so no one would ever want to click on it.

Well . . other than they're crying because they don't have one.

How the flying frag grenades does something like Honorary Brewmaster Keg or Totem of Harmony even provide an opportunity for an exploit when it's nothing but pure cosmetics? (Both of these, mind you, are on a one hour cooldown for something that lasts little more than 5 minutes.)
Am I the only person that saw the tooltip on the dagger and immediately thought it was a pre-wipe tool? The cooldown was too short, but I just assumed you'd use an item that auto-killed you to avoid a durability hit.

I have a hard time believing all the people on this thread didn't see this and think it's cheating. Not sure what to say to people that think an moderately rare item you keep in your inventory that auto-kills you should have more penalties associated with it so no one would ever want to click on it.

Well . . other than they're crying because they don't have one.

Well, that's a perfectly valid explanation...the only problem I see is, who cares if you avoid durability loss? Money is so easy to come by repairs are a joke. Between dailies, weekly's, farming, and RNG, you also have 250-1000g x 7 (dungeons), 15 (scenarios), 1 (raids), 3 (challenge modes), 3 (rBG).

Hardly seems worthy of even taking any action over, imo.
How can killing yourself be cheating?

Same reason they took out Divine Intervention.

People were avoiding repair bills.

Whole raid farms that dagger. Wiping? Use daggers. No repair bills.

The illusion items having a long CD pisses me off too. Some of them stay through some transforms. Some don't. Meta? Lose it. Ascendance? Lose it. Ghost wolf? Lose it. Orb of the Sin'dorei stays through my shaman's CDs. Havent tested it with meta because I don't have the orb on this toon. Priest is the only one with Leyara's locket so I can't test that either... but the selective sticking around on selective transforms is annoying.