Pet Avoidance Broken Post 5.2

Bug Report
Prev 1 4 5 6
If this was an intended change it was not well thought out and it was lazy.

For Skymirror her abilities are on a shorter cooldown than hunter interupts. As soon as you pull your pet out she two shots you.

True about the shorter cooldown... But you have more interrupts than just one. You have
Scatter shot
Entrapment (If Survival. Not sure if this will work on Rares. I dont have that talent tree)
Wyvern Sting (If chosen on the tree. I never use this one)
Intimidation (If BM)
Readiness (To reset your Cool downs one time).
Set pet to passive when you see her casting the kick then just keep your distance from her until the kick is done. Dont back up from her. You will be too slow and get caught in the kick yourself. Straff or just flat out turn and run from the kick.

Another trick, if your pet dies use the Heart of the Phoenix to bring it back up. If it dies again use Stampede and while they are attacking rez your pet. You will always have just enough time to rez your pet if it was killed by the crane kick before she starts another one to wipe your stampede pets.

All I can say is be creative. Everyone else has to stay out of that kick also. Not just hunters and their pets =)
Did you ever raid with a pet class before they added avoidance?Shut up. It was the singular main reason we didn't take BM hunters anywhere.. because it was guaranteed that the pet would die.

Im laughing at someone that thinks LFR is actual raiding.

FYI, i started raiding in BC, before they added avoidance. Guess what, there was very little aoe damage that was even remotely capable of killing pets and mend pet was normally more than enough to keep them alive. You are also talking about a period when most hunters had 1 attack they used, a 3:2 macro that maximized mana efficiency.

I know that you as an LFR only raider are unaware of actual raiding mechanics, but the amount of aoe in raid fights has increased by a drastic amount compared to back in vanilla and BC. It is completely unviable to ask a pet class to control TWO characters at once during a raid encounter that requires non-stop movement, reaction, and use of proper defensive CD's throughout the fight, especially when one of your characters only has 3 commands; stand by my side and horribly gimp my dps, go stand in one spot and dont move, or go attack this target wherever he goes.
I have no problem with my pet taking damage from certain select AOE abilities produced by Pandaren rares that you probably are trying to solo. In that sense, your pet is acting as the tank as well as damage and it makes sense that you would need to take care of it like a tank. FYI, spinning crane kick is easily interrupted by Intimidate or Scatter Shot (not confident about the latter, but I seem to remember it working). I have no trouble soloing Pandaren rares as long as I'm paying attention to the cast bar and am ready to cast Intimidate (and Silencing to interrupt the heal). I just zerg the heck out of the Panda, Intimidate out of crane kick, toss a mend pet or two, Silence the healing mist and blow all my dps cooldowns. They are dead in about... 20 seconds.

I would have a BIG problem with my pet dying to aoe multiple times during actual boss encounters, especially in a raid setting. At that point my pet is NOT the tank, my pet is simply an animal-shaped analog to any other spell or attack other classes do. Everyone likes to dump on hunters as if having the pet deliver damage somehow means you get to be less intelligent at playing, but every seriously damaging attack my pet does requires that I push a button (or two or three) and manage my focus so that it is even available. The pet is a DoT that you have to use some discernment to apply the most effectively. For Beastmaster, that DOT has the potential to be a massive part of your dps and if I had to *constantly* worry about keeping my pet alive during raids I probably would not play BM, which is a spec I love and have always played.

Heart of the Phoenix is there for those "ohsht" moments where you forget to turn off growl or fail to pay attention to your pet's health when having it tank for you, but it's got a huge cooldown that makes in impractical to rely on and long-cast rezzing mid-fight is a huge decrease in DPS. I shouldn't be losing my pet multiple times during a fight if growl is off and someone else is tanking. That puts a level of complexity and strain on playing a hunter that would make it not very much fun to play. It also adds strain on the healers who now have to worry about keeping my pet alive if they want all the dps to be fully functional.

That said, while I don't think I've been in MSV on my hunter since the latest change to pet avoidance so I can't verify any effects on Elegon, I did notice the slugs in LFR before Ji-Kun one-shotting my pet. Select trash killing pets is slightly annoying but I can deal with it. I didn't notice problems on normal 10-man Tortos but it's hard to say because the stone breath, if it went off, generally kills everyone so you don't really get a chance to notice that it killed the pet too.

If the avoidance nerf was not intended to extend to raid bosses and the reports are accurate then I hope the problem is fixed very soon. If it was intended then I'm not a happy hunter.
As a hunter, BM at that, I welcome these changes. While I do not raid, except for occasional pug or lfr, out in the world I like having to keep an eye on my pet's well being.

I actually miss having to feed them to keep them friendly with me. And the food buffs you could give them made it more interesting as well.

I was up on IoG training dinos and discovered that fighting a 91 elite dino resulted in my pet being 2 shot. Even the 90 Elite fights needed my constant attention on healing my pet. It harkened back to the old days when this was common, and I liked it.

So, I really do not care that Blizz didn't warn me about this change. I learned from getting punched in the face. And I have moved on now to what I think will be a more challenging and rewarding play style.

*dons nostalgic rose colored shades
As a hunter, BM at that, I welcome these changes. While I do not raid, except for occasional pug or lfr, out in the world I like having to keep an eye on my pet's well being.

I think most ppl, even hunters, are fine with this mechanic change on Panda rares ONLY, but it is a HUGE blow to raiding hunters.
In LFR's my pet only dies if I forget to turn off growl. 99% of the time the pet is in the healers AOE and stays full health. On some of the trash and adds I have to monitor the health a little bit more. But its no more than I do when I am running dailies.
If growl is left on the pet dies within about 30 seconds of the fight. =)
Man, I have not seen a whinyer thread in all my life, my goodness!

Yeah, there might be a problem (the blue post seems to indicate that it works correctly on bosses, in contradiction to the posts here), but sheesh, state a problem, where you see it and move on, not all this "Blizzard hates us" "Blizzard did something that isn't in the patch notes" "Blizzard needs to tell me months ahead if they plan to make any changes to my class so I can 'prepare'"

Wow, AMAZING thread . . .
i believe they want pets to have to follow mechanics as seen by alot of people in brawlers hunters just had there pet tank the npc and flat foot instead of having to follow mechanics there for pet stands in fire pet dies same situation as your average mage or warrior facerolling
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8896363/52_The_Thunder_King_Patch_Notes-3_5_2013

apparently they have two different "official patch notes" This was the list that was actually featured on the front page.

Hmm, that page was "Updated March 21, 03:45pm PST".

I think the part regarding Spinning Crane Kick was just added in, because I read all the patch notes I could find when it went live, and never saw that line before.
I am fine with them changing the ability to ignore Avoidance to make rares more challenging for pet classes.

However...

In my experience, hunter/warlock pets seem to respond relatively slowly to non-Attack movement commands, including Follow, Move To Location, and setting to Passive. Certainly a far slower response than any character moves when pressing WASD. So when a rare begins casting Spinning Crane Kick, and I click Follow/Passive, there is a lag before my pet starts to run back to me. In that short amount of time, the pet frequently fails to outrange the AoE, and gets pummeled for massive damage. And since the rares can move while channeling Spinning Crane Kick, the pet will usually continue to take damage, since the rare can move just as fast as a retreating pet (and cannot be snared as far as I recall).

Now there may be a better solution than just clicking Follow; I haven't devoted much time to puzzling it out, because I thought this was just a bug with the rares. I think that for hunters, Master's Call may work, or maybe there is a macro that could get the pet out of AoE range faster. Don't know yet, but will try both out.

So I think we can work around this new "feature" of rares. It's just a major pain in the butt, due to how slow pets seem to retreat from combat.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8896363/52_The_Thunder_King_Patch_Notes-3_5_2013

apparently they have two different "official patch notes" This was the list that was actually featured on the front page.

Hmm, that page was "Updated March 21, 03:45pm PST".

I think the part regarding Spinning Crane Kick was just added in, because I read all the patch notes I could find when it went live, and never saw that line before.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:pCBODCqKyfQJ:us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8896363/52_The_Thunder_King_Patch_Notes-3_5_2013%3Fpage%3D42+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
We will continue to research this but again with extending we're not seeing anything fundamentally broken with pet avoidance. Locking this thread, this is not a discussion forum.