Felhunter tips

Warlock
so, after countless attempts and an ever-increasing repair bill...

Imps are no longer an issue
big doom guard thing is an absolute joke compared to the other phases (i do re-enslave my boss as he's channeling here)
i've learned to always stand in range of my circle teleport to avoid chaos bolts
i've tried several different portal locations, and i feel i've finally found one that works for me

felhunters, however..... !@#$ me constantly, and it's not so much a matter of mechanics, as much as it is tabbing to another felhunter or having enslave dispelled seemingly randomly.

currently, i allow the pit boss to continue beating on kan, while i walk to the left side of the portal, RoF the portal to grab aggro, tag the first hunter with havoc, begin to chaos bolt the second, and charge/fel fire it right before i'm done casting. two dead felhunters in the blink of an eye. this leaves me with the third to simply pull off to the side, burn down, and then (usually) portal to LoS the inevitable chaos bolt.

however (this seems to happen a LOT on the second wave in general) i've found that the felhunters will dispell the enslavement regardless of where they are or who they are attacking. i've heard that they can't dispell enslavement as long as they aren't facing him, but it still appears to happen.

is this common? because if it didn't seem to happen so often, i think i'd be sitting on green fire as i type this.

on the matter of tabbing to another felhunter... the tab button has always had a history of %^-*ing me over, and it has not ceased here either (hey, lets not switch to another target right in front of you, lets target the big demon off to the side! or better yet, let's do nothing at all!)... is there any easier way to select the second felhunter?

finally (although this has only happened once or twice) i've seen the felhunters walk through RoF without being aggroed to me. is this due to the portal debuff?
I never had the issue with them ignore my RoF. I always placed it a little bit outside the portal. Worked fine for me everytime.
Re-enslave the pit lord before the second fel hunter phase, it naturally wears off around the time he is summoning them.
1st phase of puppies - u have to kite the felhunters backwards or just stand your ground... do not move to the left or to the right while moving backwards, just straight back. they have really bad tracking and even if their heads aim in the general direction of the pit lord they will dispel him.

You must dismiss and enslave the pit lord again during the doom lord phase or else the timer for enslave demon will wear off. remember when the timer for enslave demon was displayed near our buffs? boy that'd be great to have again, thanks blizz!
on the note of reapplying the enslavement, is there perhaps a macro that can help me do so?
ill make fight easy for you....

1.set teleport (not portal jump its not needed) to pilar to right handside of kanrethads portal , that should be los
2.enslave pitlord
3.kill imps and make sure you stun him just befor this phase so you can do extra damage or after
hes already casted cata.(if you can time the stuns you will do alot of extra damage)
4.use option pet move to location and set pit lord far to the left of kanrethads portal , use rain of fire(on kanrethads portal) and you move to the right of kanrethads portal. (this should aggro pups)
5. kill 2 felpups and use the 3rd to dispell enslave and port to los location kill 3rd pup and reenslave pitlord at this point you have also avoided chaos bolt.
6.use pitlord to get aggro on doomguard dont worry about banish or fearing them
7.kill imps
8. rinse and repeat 4 and 5 but dont let one of the pups dispell pitlord kill 2 and port and kill 3rd and your out of chaos bolt (wont have to reenslave pitlord so dont have to worry about timer) it was done on 1st set of pups.
9. use pitlord again to gain aggro of doomguard or doomguards* dont bother banishing or fearing!!
10. kill imps and kill kanrethad if you havent already by now.

make sure you stand in pitlords green flames to remove or dispell curses from yourself , you can also sac imp and also talent for this for 3 times the ease of dispelling curses. otherwise you get annoying imps and agony.

another tip from start of fight you can stun kanrethad as soon as he casts doom to forgo some of the time period , he may or maynot cast it again later but it still buys you some time.

also if your pitlord loses any aggro on doomlords , just have your pitlord attack the doomlord he will pick it back up with ease.
ill make fight easy for you....

1.set teleport (not portal jump its not needed) to pilar to right handside of kanrethads portal , that should be los
2.enslave pitlord
3.kill imps and make sure you stun him just befor this phase so you can do extra damage after
hes already casted cata.
4.use option pet move to location and set pit lord far to the left of kanrethads portal , use rain of fire(on kanrethads portal) and you move to the right of kanrethads portal. (this should aggro pups)
5. kill 2 felpups and use the 3rd to dispell enslave and port to los location kill 3rd pup and reenslave pitlord at this point you have also avoided chaos bolt.
6.use pitlord to get aggro on doomguard dont worry about banish or fearing them
7.kill imps
8. rinse and repeat 4 and 5 but dont let one of the pups dispell pitlord kill 2 and port and kill 3rd and your out of chaos bolt (wont have to reenslave pitlord so dont have to worry about timer) it was done on 1st set of pups.
9. use pitlord again to gain aggro of doomguard or doomguards* dont bother banishing or fearing!!
10. kill imps and kill kanrethad if you havent already by now.

make sure you stand in pitlords green flames to remove or dispell curses from yourself , you can also sac imp and also talent for this for 3 times the ease of dispelling curses. otherwise you get annoying imps and agony.

another tip from start of fight you can stun kanrethad as soon as he casts doom to forgo some of the time period , he may or maynot cast it again later but it still buys you some time.

i appreciate the help, but i already have most of this down, as well as doing in it my own fashion. i'm looking more for specific advice that i have highlighted. keep in mind that, with my gear level, i basically am forced to use the pit boss to burn the felhounds quickly.

"easy" is also a very, VERY subjective term....
actualy i did answer your ? read #s 4and5 and repeat on 8.

you avoid chaosbolt , other kanrethad spells and you kill all 3 pups plus renslave pitlord.

i also wrote it this way for other warlocks to see so it can help them as well.
btw i can help you with this also.....
you may want to update your glyphs and dont use mastery for destro , use int gems.
you dont have enough haste anyway to benefit from aff spec or even a balance for demo.

look at my toon if it will help

plus if the fight takes to long you can use purification potions to remove doom , at ilvl 480 you maybe close on the timer. i have heard peeps doing it with less ilvl , this game is also tuned to gearing yourself properly . dont make it hard on yourself if you dont have to.
I posted this in another thread, but the 2nd wave of felhunters are bugged. I reported it to GM and he watched as I went through the whole fight. He also noticed that the felhunters can devour enslavement when the pitlord is LoS. He reported it as a bug and said it might be a while before they fix this.
i do aggree the fight is buggy , so in some cases you need abit of luck to kill this boss not just skills. he bugged out on me several times befor i killed him. even the ending bugged out on me , i had to kill him twice because the 1st time i killed him the adds or dots didnt go away...

so i died and didnt get credit for the kill. the 2nd time i killed him i lived but the demons didnt despawn so i had the pitlord continue to tank the doomguards till the quest was done.

kanrethad is suppose to put you in a choke hold and attempt to kill you at the end after you took out his life. this did not happen to me , all i can tell you is rinse and repeat and hope it doesnt bug.
03/20/2013 09:35 PMPosted by Distrukt
i had to kill him twice

/shudder
ha i just survived cataclysm...ultimately to die but still.
The second felhunters seem to act a bit more aggressively on the dispels than the first, yes. I noticed during my attempts that even with a re-enslave to refresh the timer, and handling the felhunter phase identically both times he summons them, the first time I never got a dispel and the second time I almost always did. /shrug.