Oondasta Health Nerf

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Prev 1 3 4 5 12 Next
Instead of the stacking buff over time he should stack the buff when he kills a player, unfortunately too many griefers. Maybe the first kill of a particular player?

Also you famously asserted that "We are prepared for tears", yet at the first sign of tears...

I think the only reason for the nerf was because of the strain on the servers. They don't mind people zerging it per se, but it just can hurt servers with that many players at one place. I don't see many complaining they can't kill it. I mean as is, throw enough people at it and it'll die. So I don't think they thought it was too hard.
03/22/2013 12:20 PMPosted by Ninjablaze
My guess is while it didn't meet their expectations, what it did become was fun for a different group of people than it was intended and figured its fine fulfilling that niche instead.

Pretty sure there are other bosses which fill that same niche.

Ehh, not many bosses you 100 man. For the average quality player you need 100 people to even kill it. Is something unique for them.

Yes I know a 25 man raiding guild could kill it no problem, but the average quality player has to 100 man it, and some of them seem to enjoy it.
Oondasta clearly did not deliver on our original expectations. We'll apply the lessons learned from this experience to any future world bosses we add.

Alas, I'd point you to the PTR feedback thread and say "we told you so". But I'm just happy to finally see blizzard admit to oondasta now. I don't think the health nerf is really going to solve the server issues though. Most groups i saw would wipe above 50%. I watched a group of about 200 wipe at 70-80% for like 5-6 hours. Maybe if they had gotten another 200 they would have had enough sheer numbers to cannon off 50% worth of his health, but it wasn't a peak enough hour of day to do that. Needless to say, such a group would still cause performance issues regardless of health nerf.
Yes I know a 25 man raiding guild could kill it no problem, but the average quality player has to 100 man it, and some of them seem to enjoy it.

"average" quality shouldnt insult people that bad.
I gotta give you guys credit for trying to make an epic world boss. In some ways, it still is pretty cool.
I'm not saying I think Oondasta was a success, even Blizz said it failed in its original idea, just that, how it is now is workable even if the idea of him as a world heroic raid boss is completely dead.
thats to bad.i was hoping they wouldnt nerf him
03/22/2013 12:32 PMPosted by Omegal
Oondasta clearly did not deliver on our original expectations. We'll apply the lessons learned from this experience to any future world bosses we add.

Alas, I'd point you to the PTR feedback thread and say "we told you so". But I'm just happy to finally see blizzard admit to oondasta now. I don't think the health nerf is really going to solve the server issues though. Most groups i saw would wipe above 50%. I watched a group of about 200 wipe at 70-80% for like 5-6 hours. Maybe if they had gotten another 200 they would have had enough sheer numbers to cannon off 50% worth of his health, but it wasn't a peak enough hour of day to do that. Needless to say, such a group would still cause performance issues regardless of health nerf.

One thing that I could see might happen is with his lower health and faster respawns you'll get less people attempting him each time he's up and that helps lower server stress, spread out the Oondasta kills more throughout the week. Now the weekends and Tuesday will probably still be bad for servers but rest of the week it should be better. (That's just a theory, not definitively saying that will happen)
03/22/2013 12:26 PMPosted by Zikx

Pretty sure there are other bosses which fill that same niche.

Ehh, not many bosses you 100 man. For the average quality player you need 100 people to even kill it. Is something unique for them.

Yes but if you FOLLOW the mechanics of Oondasta he does NOT need to be 100 manned, the MASS gang bang on him is LITERALLY the reason for the people dying and the amount of people needed.
Server stability is priority 1, so I see why they had to make the change. Got a friend on a low pop who still doesn't have enough to kill it, but they're putting a dent in him at least.

With the low spawn timer they might as well make him CRZ lootable. Maybe they will when Nalak is up on every server.
Sargeras has wiped a few times too to this lastest spawn, even with the nerf. So many got it out of the way on Wed and Thurs that gy zerging isn't working. Maybe they'll start doing the fight properly to down him. (spreading out and facing the boss away)
He still wipes people over and over except for Tuesdays and Wednesdays :P
Lead Encounter Designer Ion "Watcher" Hazzikostas noticed this thread last night and has these thoughts to share:

Yes, Oondasta's maximum health has been reduced by 50%. The design intent behind this boss was for the primary audience to be guilds rather than pickup groups. That is why we placed Oondasta on a relatively remote island, surrounded by powerful elite dinosaurs that make solo travel in the area a dicey proposition. It's why he has mechanics that will outright kill you without the coordinated use of cooldowns, and careful positioning. It's a very different philosophy than our approach to designing bosses like Sha of Anger or Nalak. Of course, things didn't exactly play out as we envisioned -- as we all know, it was possible to overwhelm Oondasta with sheer numbers. While not intended, that was not entirely negative. There have been some pretty epic experiences on the Isle of Giants in the last couple of weeks. There's something to be said for the sight of a hundred spells and missiles flying through the air at a huge dinosaur.

We could have made a number of changes that would have made this approach entirely impossible: Consider a version of Oondasta with a Spiritfire Beam that could hop to 99 targets instead of 20, and a Doomwalker-style debuff that prevented players who had died during the encounter from re-engaging. Definitely not zergable. But that doesn't mean that people would stop trying, and the result would likely be a boss that no one could kill, and a frustrating experience for most participants. So we didn't do that.

Ultimately, while our server hardware is much, much more powerful than what we had in place during the days of events like the Opening of Ahn'Qiraj years ago, it still has limits. And what we have increasingly been observing was players massing around Oondasta in such great numbers that it brought servers to their knees. As word spreads that Oondasta has spawned, more and more people flock to the Isle of Giants for a piece of the action. Many people have been in Oondasta fights where spells took multiple seconds to cast, and the dinosaur perhaps stopped using its abilities entirely. Players with anything but the very best computers saw nothing but a slideshow. And in extreme cases, the entire continent of Pandaria crashed. That simply isn't an acceptable experience for our players, and so we reduced Oondasta's health, so that smaller groups are more likely to be successful, and he'll likely die before so many players arrive that it degrades the experience for everyone present. If server capacity were limitless, we wouldn't have made any of these changes, but alas that is not the case.

Still can't do it on a low faction population server. Horde has killed him on every single spawn even with the new changes and faster spawn rate. IMHO just make it anyone that deals damage to it for loot. Before we can even get 10 people in the group, Horde already have at least 40+ in on the kill every time.
I loved it. Even with 100 ppl death zerging it, it still felt amazing. We prayed, and threw our bodies at him, over and over. And I felt GOOD when he died!
Still wiping on Sargeras, lol.
03/22/2013 11:07 AMPosted by Azane
Everyone said it was just gonna be zerged.

This. If you honestly didn't expect a zerg with faction tagging....I really don't know what to say. It was painfully obvious.
We had over 80 players trying to kill that dino and we never got him down past 40%. I had a blast though. The amounts of skeletons strewn over that beach was absolutely epic. I got a chill every single time I saw the tank group pulling him down the cliff. Make more like this Blizz... as long as it doesn't crash servers :)
Dear Blizzard,

This is really your fault, you know. You taught us this trick.

Oondasta is Darkmoon Rabbit 2.0

While Oondasta ostensibly has mechanics that could be avoided and handled by a skilled group, Darkmoon Rabbit really didn't. There was no extra action button to press, or some way to taunt or control it. So it ended up just being a giant zerg of running in and dpsing and then dying and running back from the graveyard to try again.

So you taught us that the safest and best strategy was "bring enough bodies to kill it before it resets."

The solution to all world bosses is simple: make them a simple skill check, not a dps/zerg race. Provide a mechanic to avoid and if you avoid it, you get shot at loot. If you fail to avoid it, or ignore it, a debuff informs you that you get no loot. Feel free to continue dpsing, but really you'd be better off trying again next time the boss is up.

It could be obvious fire on the ground, or an Ultraxion-like button that you need to press, or whatever. Something that everyone, regardless of spec, is going to need to avoid or do.

I suspect that it would cause most PUGs to abandon the zerg approach because, let's face it, there probably aren't enough altruistic players who would eat repair bills for a PUG where they get no loot.

Meanwhile an organized group would probably stick it out because even if they botched it, they want their friends/guildies to have a shot. This I believe is what you really wanted in the first place for the new era of world bosses.
The real thing that needs to happen is not the health nerf. The Spitfire Beam needs to be changed so it is not a 20 person ever increasing chain as that is one of the big reasons you see pugs form such massive groups. They either don't understand the chaining mechanic and won't listen to those that try to explain it. It makes it difficult for organized groups since the others flock for their chance at loot and forge the chain.

My recommendation would just make it healable damage that can be partially avoided via good positioning. So it rewards the organized groups with less strain on the healers but does not punish them unduly when their fighting area gets flooded with random players that heard that Oondasta was being attacked. Another nice change would be to make it so the groups can't pull him over the clift down near the graveyard. Then the zerg strat is both made less necessary in the minds of pugs by getting rid of the mass deaths from Spitfire Beam and is made harder to do by requiring the run back to Oondasta's spawning area.

Basically if you have a boss in the world you have to expect that people will flock when it is around. Faction tapping helps prevent same faction griefing but it also means that each spawn will bring in a lot of people so definitely want the spawn timer to be as it has been changed to so hopefully the load will be more spread out. Jumping increasing damage effects do not really work with today's world bosses due to the popularity and the inability to control the number of players that choose to participate. My personal experience with the two kills I was a part of is that its current set up is annoying and ends up with repair bills far in excess of the gold in the bag with most of the deaths due to things outside my control (aka where all the non listening other players are standing and my dependance on having to be in melee range to deal damage).
Azuergos style anti zerg.

Doomwalker had the exact same thing, but his killed you if you attempted to get within his range. I believe it was 15 minutes or something. Either one of these would have been the worst thing ever with faction tagging, they would have never worked.