I feel dumb for asking, but...

UI and Macro
A pretty straightforward macro, I thought:

#showtooltip prayer of mending
/cast [target=focus, help] prayer of mending

Instead of casting prayer of mending on my focus target, my cursor lights up and whoever I click has the spell cast on them. Why won't it simply cast on my focus target?
Are you sure that you have the macro on your bar, and not simply the spell itself?
Yes. -.-
There's nothing wrong with the macro as written - although it will always attempt to cast on your focus, even if you don't have a focus. However, it does sound as though you are intentionally setting a focus and attempting to cast on that character.

What key combination are you using to activate the macro?

Have you checked to make sure that you don't have a self-cast modifier or focus-cast modifier set under your combat keybinds? That macro is written just fine to cast on a focus short of any interference from modifiers.
It's set to the "5" key. No modifiers. I want it to simply cast Prayer of Mending on my focus target. But instead it makes me click a player to cast it. I don't understand why it does that. :(

The most CONFUSING part of it all, is that the macro works for any other spell. If I set Renew to cast on focus, it works. Same for PW:S. But for some insane reason, Prayer of Mending won't work correctly.
Prayer of mending is a group/raid spell. Unless focus is in your group with you, it isn't going to work.