Auto-learned flight paths.

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 26 Next
And you didn't tell us this ahead of time because?

Cheers.

We were on our way to tell you, but then we ran into Chuck and he was going off about his landlord and something with his sink smelling like something super foul, and while we was relating the smell to something between rotten onions and and an ogres feet we saw this cat run by that totally looked like our sister's cat that she just lost, but then this big scary lady picked it up and was all like "Don't you look at Chairman Meow!" which took us aback mainly because we didn't think cats followed any particular political ideology, and as we pondered the implications of such a possibility an ice cream truck drove by and so we chased after it because Big Sticks and when we caught up all they had were like the character ones with bubble gum balls for eyes which are all totally gross so we said thank you but no thank you so we left, and then when we finally made it to your place we were just SUPER exhausted so we went home...

Anyway, we meant to. Sorry. :(
But it doesn't really make sense. I don't need to swim to London to be able to fly there later on. I could understand it for little things like the Rebel Camp in northern STV, but not for major areas like Light's Hope Chapel or Nethergarde Keep.

It's a change we've had for a very long time, and to go back feels like a step in the wrong direction. Was it really so detrimental to the game? Especially considering the number of people with heirlooms who level too quickly through each zone as it is, or the people who just level via dungeons?
All I know is every single alt Im leveling from now on is gona level exclusevely trough dungeons, theres no way Im walking on foot from stormwind to the Plaguelands...

you make it sound like you regularly have to walk from SW to EPL, but the reality is that you'll go from stormwind, to elwynn, to westfall, etc, etc, and eventually you'll walk from the WPL to the EPL.... it's really not a big deal to get FP's as you go, most of this will be running one time from one zone to the next... are we really that spoiled that this is too hard now?!?
Bashiok does your other online alias happen to be T3H P3nguIn of D00m? *holds up spork*
Just as plausible as the first story.
Like someone else said above, with other MMOs having instant portals newbies wont have to learn them as they will most likely go with an easier game. As for me between this and CRZ I will not be lvling any of my alts that are under 85.
We were on our way to tell you, but then we ran into Chuck and he was going off about his landlord and something with his sink smelling like something super foul, and while we was relating the smell to something between rotten onions and and an ogres feet we saw this cat run by that totally looked like our sister's cat that she just lost, but then this big scary lady picked it up and was all like "Don't you look at Chairman Meow!" which took us aback mainly because we didn't think cats followed any particular political ideology, and as we pondered the implications of such a possibility an ice cream truck drove by and so we chased after it because Big Sticks and when we caught up all they had were like the character ones with bubble gum balls for eyes which are all totally gross so we said thank you but no thank you so we left, and then when we finally made it to your place we were just SUPER exhausted so we went home...

Hey look! A plastic bag!
Ok. I can see where you might want to go back to the original way of doing this. However, when you are working on your 12th, 15th, or 20th alt you don't want to have to run everywhere. I've found this even more inconvenient when I need to switch to another zone because the zone I'm in is overcrowded due to CRZ. (Yes, overcrowded. When you have to wait 45 min. to complete one quest to kill 8 things because the quest objectives don't spawn fast enough to accommodate the number of people on the quest it's overcrowded.) So, now, instead of being able to switch continents and fly to the other area that supports your level, you now have to take the extra 30 minutes to run through a whole bunch of other zones to get to the one you're trying to get to. Also, what about the quests that require you to go to the other zones? For example, one of my alts has "Nat Pagle, Angler Extreme" that requires you to fish in 4 different zones. I'm having to waste my play time to run through areas I've already explored multiple times on other characters and at least one by doing all the quests in those areas just to fish for one fish for a quest that barely is worth the time.

Maybe, if it's extremely important to keep the flight points where someone has to run to them, you could at least put a portal in the main cities on the continent that takes you just to the areas of your level which changes with your level.

It's just extremely frustrating now to have to spend that extra time. Some people only have an hour or two a day to play. If they have to spend half of that time running around to get to the area they want to quest in, they're not going to be playing the game for much longer.
03/28/2013 01:24 PMPosted by Bashiok
We’ve improved our tech in a way that allows us to remember what flight points a character has discovered, or determine what paths a character should/shouldn’t know on a case-by-case basis.

But yet you "can't" modify the mail system so 4.5 years later we still can not mail heirlooms.. priorities, who needs em!

Sorry, but I don't believe you. I think you were worried about the backlash, so you just slipped it in the patch. You've been caught with your fingers in the cookie jar. Now own up.

Cheers.
Just started doing some alts for the first time in MoP. I have to say leveling alts in MoP, just from this one change, does just what Blizz is trying to recapture; that sense of size and magnitude, as well as adventure and danger, is alive and well. Again. :)
I'm kinda of the mentality that these things should be account-wide as well. Once you've discovered it once, give the benefit to the alts. It solves a lot of problems with alt leveling, especially when you're typically skipping around zones at that stage.

Sounds like some of my dreams....now how to interpret?
(Awesome post. Thank you for the laugh!)
03/28/2013 01:49 PMPosted by Barkloud

^This

Ok, this is absurd, I am sorry, but it is.

The truth is it would denigrate your leveling experience.

It would not denigrate the leveling experience of someone who just wants to grind out the XP necessary for a fresh 90.

Yeah. I think it would be nice to be account-wide. I've got five level 90's, and at least eight other level 85's. All the "magic" of the leveling experience is gone for me, I just want to get to 90.
And you didn't tell us this ahead of time because?

Cheers.

Because it was not intended does not mean you are still correct in your reasoning. Phasing came about from an unintended bug and is now part of the games main features. My point is sometimes bugs cause positives you should not try and fix. After 8 years does "Vanilla" really need to require this, especially when afters years people are used to them just being automatically there.
A quick and easy fix for this would be an account-bound "tome of explored Azeroth" that can be bought with a level 90 character on the account. Reading said tome would unlock all the maps/FPs for the rest of the alts on the account.

This way new players and people who want to continue running to FPs to explore can, while those that already have demonstrated they've explored enough to level some characters and do not want the hassle do not have to deal with it.
Lol Bashiok. I like your excuse for not telling us. :)