Ret DPS ( dps classes in general )

Paladin
Hey, since 5.2 and since my ilvl get higher, I'm really concerned about ret dps. With the new raid content (ToT) I found that dps is important, but most important is survivability. So reading guide about RET dps, rotation, etc...... every guide I found will suggest Execution sentence (or holy hammer when Aoe is required).... with Sanctified Wrath vs Holy Avenger.

By doing some test on the dummy, I found by using Holy avenger(with good timing), my dps was wayyy more constant. Also, by using Holy Prism, I was able to fill out some "dead time" in my rotation. Yes my dps was a bit lower... but as I said at the beggining, the new raid content is also focused on survival. I'm using holy prism, why?? because it provide healing to the raid each time I use it, and usually I use it in period of heavy raid dmg.

I might be wrong, but a lot dps class now is so focused on topping the meters, that they might forget about the abilites that could help the raid a lot.

Am I wrong to think that way, or should I just try to top the dps meter everytime!!! I would prefer to be a bit lower(~-1k) in dps... and help the raid as much as I can.
I might be wrong, but a lot dps class now is so focused on topping the meters, that they might forget about the abilites that could help the raid a lot.

Am I wrong to think that way, or should I just try to top the dps meter everytime!!! I would prefer to be a bit lower(~-1k) in dps... and help the raid as much as I can.

Not in the least; we have utility for a reason. But, as a damage-dealing specialization, damage output should be considered first. With Selfless Healer, though, you have a potent single-target heal to spread about that's on a similar delay to Prism, but is about three times as powerful for that one target - and its timer is going to come farther down with better gear.

Only boss fight for which I use Prism is Horridon, as the shorter CD allows for more use on the sporadic and highly mobile adds. That's not to say that Prism is bad - I do really like it - but its place isn't in most raid encounters. As to Holy Avenger vs. Sanctified Wrath, SW is really only stronger if you can squeeze out as much damage as possible within that extra 10s on Wings. With the change to Ret's CD on Wings, HA and Wings line up well, now, when they had been on different cooldowns which made their use staggered and disjointed.

The actual difference between SW and HA is 1~3k DPS, which is a drop in the bucket next to 100k+. And with the 4pT15, HA actually sims slightly higher (or, at the very least, at much less of a gap), I think, because it allows better synergy with the set bonus for what will be some truly massive TVs.
I must agree that selfless healer is an awesome talent..... I just don't use it on people so often because I didn't bind it on mouseover and I have to click... thus loose dps.

No worries, this will be fixed as of tonight with my new mouse and more binding.

However, after last night testing on the dummies, I found my dps way more steady when using wings with inquisition up then refresh inquisition and then use Holy Avenger. then 1m20s later redo the exact same thing.

The burst dmg is not as high as combining Wings + Holy Avenger at the same time but constant. It might change with the tier15 bonus set.

Ill do more testing tonight.... thx for the hints!
What raid frames do you use? I use HealBot as my raid frames, which let's me use FoL, WoG, and all the rest of our utility without ever having to change targets. Takes a bit of getting used to, of course, but it's a massive thought-saver.

As to HA+AW, you really should stack them as it's better damage. 'Cause here's the thing: Damage Done is a far more important metric of a spec's worth than DPS. And that's the biggest reason that ES is recommended ST, and LH for AoE.
Im using the standard Blizzard raid frame.

Im using ELVUI for my UI but I desactivated the raid frame. I might enable it....Most of my abilities are bound, only hands and cooldown abilities arent. I'll work on that tonight. I bought a G600 mouse which gonna give me more binding keys.

for Wings and HA
I was using both stacked as any guide would suggest. I will continue then. I guess my problem is the timing... sometime Im popping both but I have to move around..thus my dps dropping a lot. :) and by clicking my cooldown abilities instead of using a macro, Im usually loosing a few second of dps.
Yeah, definitely need a macro or better binds to get them off at once, and to time them to where you get maximum burn time while they're running. Ret is pretty much balanced around being a burst spec, so if you're botching your burn you're not doing right.

#showtooltip
/cast Avenging Wrath
/cast Holy Avenger

Simple and clean. And you can add to it easily enough - things like "/use Potion of Mogu Power" or "/use 13" for Trinket Slot 1, I think.
Yup, I added ES cast in this macro(if both are on cooldown, it cast ES at least)..... one button to rule them all!! ohh wait....

:)
I used Execution Sentence in T14, but I've gotten so used to Holy Prism (and I'm so bad at using Execution Sentence) that I just stick with it now.