No Tailoring Bag...

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 10 Next
There's essentially only one or two relevant materials for tailoring in each expansion. Why are you holding on to that much cloth?
There's essentially only one or two relevant materials for tailoring in each expansion. Why are you holding on to that much cloth?

It can be worth it to make frostweave bags for alts, or embersilk ones... but then you have to save up the cloth, then the bolts, then the enchanting mats, then the enchanted bolts.... A tailor might also want to keep a set of the older cloth (both raw and bolts) around so they can make transmog items for whatever. Also I've got over 80 Imperial Silk on my tailor while I grind out the rep for the mop bag, that's five slots right there. Then there's items I've actually made (pvp gear for instance) that may not have been equipped, those would go in the bag too.
Why are you holding on to that much cloth?

Because the recipes take a ton of cloth nowadays...
Compared to other professions, there's very few distinct mats; you can condense the raw mats into higher density mats (ie bolts) anytime, anywhere (vs say needing a forge); and the market for cloth is usually very liquid, meaning its easy to either buy or sell large quantities of the raw mat on demand at the AH.

I agree there's virtually no realistic situation in which I'd better off with slightly larger (say 36 vs 28 slots) tailoring-only bag, vs the general purpose bag. But even if there were, I'd have to agree if the game designers said their decision was because tailoring already had such a better storage situation compared to other professions that they didn't think it would be fair to "improve" it even further.
03/28/2013 01:34 PMPosted by Killercaitie

The highest number of Imperil Silk ( besides the bag) that gear takes is 6, and it stacks to 20. how does that compare to professions such as Inscription or Alchemy that needs different herbs for various scrips/potions.

I think he is alluding to hoarding materials vs. saving them for actual use; and tailoring simply doesn't have the variety of mats that would need a specific bag.

The amount of materials needed to level tailoring is staggering. I'm sure many topics have been made regarding this, but here is one I did where I counted up how much cloth I needed to level a new tailor: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7200053311

As someone else in that thread pointed out, it also clashes with leveling First Aid.

If you want to hoard materials for leveling an alt's profession, I can sympathize with people who would like a Tailoring bag.

Same reason we have herbing bags, mining bags, leatherworking bags. Farming runs. We're so starved for bag space we have to swap out a bag that has a ton of slots so we can go out and farm without having to run to a city every 30 kills to sell off crap. If we have to farm cloth, especially at high levels, we need a ton of it. Gone are the days where one or two scraps makes a bolt and one bolt makes a cloak. At high level it takes a crapload of bolts to make anything, and that translates to a ton of stacks of scraps...unless you want to stop every 20 steps and bolt up.

It's nice to be able to do what herbers and miners do...start with an empty bag and spend an hour or two doing absolutely nothing but gathering before having to find a vendor or a mailbox. Only difference is tailors have to murder innocents for every scrap, and many innocents die for nothing because they didn't cough up any scraps at all when they died. It's bad enough we have to enact genocide to get our mats, and kill things that didn't have any cloth to drop anyhow,....having to do that with a handful of slots available and visit the vendors/mailboxes more frequently than someone on diabetics pounding down a 2 litre jug of mountain dew every 5 minutes visits the restroom is just painful.

Many places are remote to get to too...so vendors and mailboxes are not easy to run to every 2 minutes...especially pre-flying. Frostweave comes to mind...ice crown. If you have to leave after every 6 mobs you kill....you'll never have enough Frostweave to make anything...like say, Frostweave bags, to try to relieve your already strangled to death bag space.

You mean the same number that there is for Leatherworking each expansion since WotLK.

I mean I agree that this is a foolish argument, but at least make a proper comparison.
The tailoring skill up time/cost issue is entirely separate. You may need a ton of frostweave to complete the skill up, but there's no need to STORE that frostweave -- you can use it has you obtain it. Its not like you're required to obtain and store the entire collection of materials before you begin making goods.
03/28/2013 01:45 PMPosted by Nahela

You mean the same number that there is for Leatherworking each expansion since WotLK.

I mean I agree that this is a foolish argument, but at least make a proper comparison.

They've always had a bag though (sucky size compared to other professions, but at least they had one). They corrected that this expansion and they finally have a reasonable size leatherworking bag.
03/28/2013 01:41 PMPosted by Detriment

The amount of materials needed to level tailoring is staggering. I'm sure many topics have been made regarding this, but here is one I did where I counted up how much cloth I needed to level a new tailor: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7200053311

As someone else in that thread pointed out, it also clashes with leveling First Aid.

If you want to hoard materials for leveling an alt's profession, I can sympathize with people who would like a Tailoring bag.

See, once you're done leveling, you don't need to stockpile tons of low level cloth. When transmog was patched I was making lowbie gear to sell so I just ran out to kill a few dungeons for the particular cloth drops I needed for those recipes (cloth gathering is that easy, unlike gathering particular gems/enchant mats/leather). I would've been stockpiling old cloth for like 6 years to have it on hand at that point in time when I needed some. That's a total waste of space in general (*looks askance at my banker's cloth tab with crap since vanilla*).

You can take being a packrat waaay too far and then have to be institutionalized as a crazy.
The new cloth drops a lot. I easily had a full guildbank of bolts becuase I had to keep mailing stuff from this toon, to my alt while leveling because it dropped so much.
The new cloth drops a lot. I easily had a full guildbank of bolts becuase I had to keep mailing stuff from this toon, to my alt while leveling because it dropped so much.

Yeah, they corrected that first couple weeks after mop dropped. Drop rate is back down to pathetic again...in world questing anyhow. Still reasonable in dungeons and scenarios. Until they tied rep to them, that was the only reason I ever bothered doing a scenario.

People don't NEED to hold onto that much Ghost Iron Ore, either. But if they have a mining bag, they do, because they can. It's the same with Cloth. If we had a 36 slot Tailoring Bag, we'd hold on to all sorts of cloth that we're not holding on to now.

Cheers.

Because you sadistic bastards might just add a 500 Windwool Bandages achievement right before 6.0.
I enjoy the QoL profession bags bring. Knowing all my supplies are in one spot brings some happiness to me. Drives me nuts when I'm looking through my overly full bags(all my toys/gear sets/xmog items...yeah im a pack rat) for "rune thread"(i use it for netherweave bags for alts) only to eventually discover I ran out somewhere along the way=(.

As a fun aside, I just counted all my cloth and have 1331 or 67 stacks of cloth(oh I have bolts of cloth too and threads^_^) hanging around(and I just leveled my rogues first aid from 0-max lol) so apparently I really could use some tailoring bags!
03/28/2013 01:34 PMPosted by Killercaitie

I have never been a high level tailor, but don't you turn the cloth into bolts, taking up less space? I mean, miners don't combine ore into one big rock, so I get that, but don't tailors convert cloth into bolts?