Class Defining Characters

Story Forum
I was wondering which characters in WoW would be the Exeplars or the "Greatest X in the World" in regards to player class Characters.

E.G:
Thrall is the Greatest Shaman to ever live,
Malfurion is the Greatest Druid,
Tirion Fordring is the Greatest Paladin,
Velen is the Greatest Priest... Ets

and perhaps their lesser equivelent on the oposite faction if one exists

E.G: Farseer Nobundo is the greatest Shaman of the Alliance.

I just though it may be an interesting topic, and if you are an RP'er it could be a way you could look up to one of them and try live up to the example set by said character if you are the same class.
Anduin Lothar is sometimes brought up as the greatest Alliance warrior, and he was seriously cool in his day. Muradin Bronzebeard also gives the impression of a deft axemaster. I guess Lothar can be Arms and Muradin can be Fury.

Many might say that Grom Hellscream was the ultimate Horde warrior, but I'm more partial to Orgrim Doomhammer.
Mage-Jaina
Priest-Velen
Warlock-Kil'jaeden
Monk-Taran Zhu
Rogue-Mathias Shaw
Druid-Malfurion
Shaman-Thrall
Hunter-there's barely any proper hunters in lore so I'll say Rexxar
Warrior-Um, do Varian and Garrosh even count since they both use magical stuff to back them up? Shandris or Saurfang(but he's old as dirt), maybe Crowley.
Paladin-Tirion or Turalyon
Death Knight-Mograine

Just doing characters that are still alive
04/16/2013 12:42 AMPosted by Lena
Warrior-Um, do Varian and Garrosh even count since they both use magical stuff to back them up?
Using magical weapons and occasionally magical artifacts/blessings doesn't make them not warriors any more than Khadgar hitting things with his sword on occasion would make him not a mage.
04/16/2013 12:49 AMPosted by Vegdrasil
Warrior-Um, do Varian and Garrosh even count since they both use magical stuff to back them up?
Using magical artifacts doesn't make them not warriors any more than Khadgar isn't a mage because he hit things with his sword on occasion.

They're more than just warriors though. They're powerful because of the bonus stuff, not because of their warrior stuff.
Gul'dan for warlocks. Not only is he a powerful warlock, but, like the quintessential warlock, he pays any price in the pursuit of power - even damning his own race.

You can probably also throw in Kel'thuzad. He was vehement in his pursuit of new knowledge and power, shunning the Kirin Tor for forbidding the study and practice dark magic. In the end, he resorted to serving the Lich King to attain this new power and he was rewarded with the powers of a Lich.
For the most iconic, most famous members of each class... I'd probably go with something like this.

Death Knight: Arthas Menethil
Druid: Malfurion Stormrage
Hunter: Rexxar
Mage: Jaina Proudmoore
Monk: Chen Stormstout
Paladin: Uther the Lightbringer
Priest: Tyrande Whisperwind
Rogue: Garona
Shaman: Thrall
Warlock: Gul'dan
Warrior: Grom Hellscream
Garona and Mathias Shaw do work for Rogues, with Garona edging out due to her increased portrayal in various stories. Especially liked their portrayal in the end of the Twilight Highland quest chain.
They're more than just warriors though. They're powerful because of the bonus stuff, not because of their warrior stuff.

In some cases they gain their bonuses because they're great warriors.

This is true, at least for Varian, whose patron Goldrinn chose him because he was an exceptional gladiator in the arenas.
Death Knight: Arthas without a doubt
Druid: Cenanrion, im surprised nobody mentioned him? I guess he is more of a demigod then druid, but he is the father of all druids.
Hunter: rexxar i suppose? I can't think of any hunters in the lore really maybe sylvanas?
Mage: Archmade Antonidas
Monk: Chen Stormstout
Paladin: Uther the Lightbringer
Priest: Tyrande Whisperwind
Rogue: Garona
Shaman: Thrall
Warlock: Gul'dan, i would of picked Kel Thuzad, but hes more of a necromancer than a warlock, Gul'Dan is the epitome of a warlock.
Warrior: Varian Wyrnn,
Death Knight - Arthas
Druid - Malfurion Stormrage
Hunter - These guys aren't even a thing
Mage - Azshara
Monk - Chen
Paladin - Tirion
Priest - Tyrande
Rogue - Vol'jin
Shaman - Thrall
Warlock - Gul'Dan
Warrior - Varian
This is why we need more Rexxar in the game!

The Hunter class is a wildcard when it comes to lore. Does it include rangers like Sylvanas? Does it include Shadow Hunters, who before Dagger in the Dark, were always depicted with Hunter armor, wielding bows, and in some cases having pets? Do people who use Throwing Weapons like Headhunters and Kaldorei Huntresses count?

Some of those should be a no brainer since "Hunter" is somewhere in the name, but yeah.

Also, Grom > Every Warrior ever.
I can't argue with most choices, but I'm going to put up Drek'thar as the most iconic Shaman, mostly for his portrayal in Lord of the Clans. That was Shamanism explained at its purest.

Thrall is the World Shaman, yeah, but I think the story kind of lost its focus about the elements, and became all about Thrall's intrinsic developments and helping out the Dragons. Despite being the 'most powerful', he never displays that intimate connection with the flow of the world that Drek'thar and Nobundo do.
Death Knight- Arthas
Druid- Malfurion
Hunter- Rexxar or Sylvanas
Mage- Medivh
Monk- Chen Stormsnout
Paladin- Uther the Lightbringer
Priest- Velen
Rogue- Garona
Shaman- Thrall
Warlock- Gul'dan
Warrior- Grom

I'm surprised everyone is saying Tyrande as the most iconic character for priests. She's a priestess of the moon, not a priest/priestess. She uses a bow. Velen fits more. Now, if we didn't have any other iconic priests (like with hunters, we don't have a hunter that really fits the playable version so we go with either a beastmaster or a ranger/dark ranger) I could understand that, but right now? Velen is a much better choice.

I also think it's interesting, we've had these kinds of threads before, but before the stuff with Theramore I'm pretty sure no one mentioned Jaina as the most iconic mage. And what about Medivh?
Why is being a Priestess of the Moon lesser than being a Priest of the Light?

Priestess of the moon (at least in tyrande's case) is more akin to a hunter/priest hybrid, it is not that it is lesser just that, lore wise, a priestess of the moon does not fit the player style of priest.

To put it another way:
Tyrande=fierce huntress in addition to her priestess abilities and devoted servant to Elune
Velan=wise, considerate leader (not that tyrande s not) and almost completely in tune with the light.

When I think of Tyrande, I think of a ranged warrior-priest (or a ranged version of a paladin), she can work for the iconic priest but for a more accurate in what a priest should be? velan hands down.
As far as the ones I consider to be iconic?

Death Knight: if talking about the normal DKs and not the one that became the lich king, and separating for factions, Thasarian and Koltira
Druid: Malfurion/Hamuul runetotem
Hunter: I'd have to go with Windrunner sisters here
Mage: Jaina/Aethas Sunreaver
Monk: only Chen really sticks out
Paladin: Tirion (Uther is a good one, but Tirion kept his powers even when Uther "took them away)
Priest: Velen
Rogue: Shaw/Garona
Shaman: Nobundo/Drek'thar
Warlock: Gul'dan
Warrior: Lothar (the lion of Azeroth)/Doomhammer
Death Knight - Arthas Menethil
Druid - Malfurion Stormrage
Hunter - Shandris Feathermoon
Mage - Azshara
Monk - Shao Hao
Paladin - Turalyon
Priest - Tyrande Whisperwind
Rogue - Valeera Sanguinar
Shaman - Thrall
Warlock - Kil'jaeden
Warrior - Lothar

It's not really a priest in the way that players can play, it's more a cross between balance druids and hunters.
It's not really a priest in the way that players can play, it's more a cross between balance druids and hunters.
In the lore, she is a priestess. The night elves priests should have the skills same as balance druids (at least in appearance).
Since the source of their light is elune. (like balance druids).