Why Arathor Is Not Rome

Moon Guard
Prev 1 2 3 4 7 Next
More important question. Why is it an historian?

Because "h" is the weakest consonant known to Ameromans.
Yes, yes, and more yes! Thank you! As a U.S. historian who maintains a hobby level interest in the Roman Empire, it boils my blood when I hear people say things like, "The U.S. is kinda like the Roman Empire!" Or, "We need to stop deficit spending! It's how Rome died!"

it is both overextended and fell because of contractors and immigration
More important question. Why is it an historian?

Also, should I be RPing my troll as Aztec, Inca, or Mayan?

I asked a friend of mine in the English Department about that once and he said it really depends on how you pronounce it. If you actually pronounce the "H" it should be a historian, but if you don't really pronounce the "h" go with "an" because you're placing more emphasis on the vowel.

And you should rp your Troll as dead, because Nikephoros will make it that way.
When in Arathor, dress as the Arathians do.
Well done. Can we do "Why Arathor Is Not Skyrim" next week?
Excuse me, but you call yourselves historians? And you claim there's no cultural similarities between the US and Rome? Hello?

Rome had columns. Marble columns.
Washington DC has columns. Marble columns.

I believe you owe a few people here an apology. Perhaps a little less Michael Grant, and more Michael Baigent.

It's true I'm in DC and have seen the marble columns myself. It's all very phallic, our pillars of government -- just like Rome!

And just look at this guy!

http://i.imgur.com/Wkciwu8.jpg

Actually what is that he's holding?

That is a fasces.
A bunch of Roman facists in DC!
A bunch of Roman facists in DC!

See, proven by a true historian!

(Thank you, I will read!)
When I wrote up that fanon article, I found warcraft lore incredibly bland and without any sort of cultural thought in its raw form. I transplanted roman history on top of what was known in the WoW universe for my own enjoyment. It wasn't with the intention of pushing it on other people or trying to justify it with warcraft's sorry excuse for long-term recorded history.
It's true I'm in DC and have seen the marble columns myself. It's all very phallic, our pillars of government -- just like Rome!

And just look at this guy!

http://i.imgur.com/Wkciwu8.jpg

Proof that Stromgarde is 1920s Italy.
Guys. Guys. Clearly because Danath's voice actor in WC2 was australian, Stromgarde is Australia. Geez.

On a serious note, I enjoyed the read. Well done.
04/03/2013 08:22 AMPosted by Asuryån

That is a fasces.

I know what this is because it's mentioned in one of the Kushiel books.

It gets used as an aide d'amour. c:
When I wrote up that fanon article, I found warcraft lore incredibly bland and without any sort of cultural thought in its raw form. I transplanted roman history on top of what was known in the WoW universe for my own enjoyment. It wasn't with the intention of pushing it on other people or trying to justify it with warcraft's sorry excuse for long-term recorded history.

I'd believe this if you didn't tell me I should watch roman documentaries when running my guild. Or saying I was a disappointment for not doing it that way. I rather like warcraft's history, because that's the history of THIS world. It is a world where humans did not war. (They could have, should Thrall not have come! But what if is just not what happened.) It is a world where humans broke away from one another peacefully and just decided they wanted their own kingdoms too. I love it. There are no religion wars, no wars for land, no murdering your neighbor because they looked at you funny. Peace is a nice concept.
I do have a question. What style and time period would you say the Arathorian houses are typical of? Including the city and all that.

I would imagine the Arathorian houses were in an Arathorian style and existed during whichever period Arathor did.

>.>

Seriously though, this idea that any nation / culture / whatever in a fantasy game has to basically be a copy-pasted version of a real-life nation / culture / whatever is more than a little silly. Whatever happened to originality? More than that though, that people are left totally at a loss with what to do if they DON'T have a real-life nation / culture / whatever to base something in their history on is also a little strange.
Gilneas is Constantanoplian. No question.

Constantanoplian? Puh-leez! Everyone knows it's ISTANBULLIAN!
04/03/2013 12:34 PMPosted by Kalaryia
Gilneas is Constantanoplian. No question.

Why'd Constantinople get the works?
04/03/2013 12:48 PMPosted by Lito

Why'd Constantinople get the works?

That's nobody's business but the Turks....
I'd believe this if you didn't tell me I should watch roman documentaries when running my guild. Or saying I was a disappointment for not doing it that way. I rather like warcraft's history, because that's the history of THIS world. It is a world where humans did not war. (They could have, should Thrall not have come! But what if is just not what happened.) It is a world where humans broke away from one another peacefully and just decided they wanted their own kingdoms too. I love it. There are no religion wars, no wars for land, no murdering your neighbor because they looked at you funny. Peace is a nice concept.

While I know that Maxen will continually repeat things to the point of irritation, "You guys should really use a blue tabard!" I don't think what you're saying is exactly "Warcraft history".

We know, for example, that there were wars between the human kingdoms that Lordaeron often intervened on. "Peace" existed in the sense that there weren't genocidal green people trying to kill everyone, not that the kingdoms didn't fight one another.
My favorite was when Stromgarde took Alterac's lunch money.