Holy Pallies and dailies

Paladin
I leveled from 1-90 as holy, questing and all. It's not nearly as hard nor time consuming as people make it out to be. Does it take a little longer to kill things? Of course. However, I never have to worry about dying if I get too many mobs on me and I don't have to get a new gear set. Just gotta have a little patience (:
Mylina, nobody else is dying regardless of their spec. There should be no reason to die during PvE content.

I want people in this thread to be more honest. I can do about 25k to 30k dps as holy and that hasn't changed as I've gotten more holy gear. What is your dps as holy? What is your "rotation" and talents?

I personally don't see why holy dps needs to be so low. A disc priest with atonement does more dps and it's healing them at the same time!

It's actually fun. You don't think about killing everything in sight. You think about how avoiding killing things. Completely different mindset. Kinda like "Don't stand in the #$%% fire" when dpsing. Yah your total damage is gonna drop, but you live to do more dps.

Get too many mobs (of the wrong type). Blind and run like a punk. Break aggro and try again.

You have a strange idea of fun but you did sum up holy paladin solo questing nicely.
I do it as prot, still sucks but I can round up most of the mobs needed for a given daily in usually one pull now and survive.

Yes it is two sets of gear and a pain in the bag space. I usually try to clear about 25 free slots before I do dailies. Sometimes less, but the prot/offspec gear takes up most of one bag.

Also I try to do as few dailies as possible. I do maybe 2 sets of dailies at most. Dailies are too much like a job if you do too many. Usually I do a scenario, heal 1-2 lfr, and maybe one set of dailies or two.
04/09/2013 10:55 AMPosted by Toolate
Other classes can usually just swap specs and do fine, but holy pallies would literally need another entire set of gear to go ret or prot and do dailies unless they are able to find a group. So is it basically find a group or bust?

If you're just doing dailies, you don't really need the gear. Just a decent enough two-handed weapon. Just use your 2nd spec for Ret, and go to town. These dailies are not that hard.

Yeah, you won't be top DPS, but enemies will go down a hell of a lot faster than they would as Holy.

Ummm... we have no strength (and no spell power, since we get it from strength while in ret) without that second set of gear. No Strength = no DPS. I can literally do more DPS in holy in Holy gear than in Ret while wearing holy gear, using a good 2h.
Mylina, nobody else is dying regardless of their spec. There should be no reason to die during PvE content.

I want people in this thread to be more honest. I can do about 25k to 30k dps as holy and that hasn't changed as I've gotten more holy gear. What is your dps as holy? What is your "rotation" and talents?

I personally don't see why holy dps needs to be so low. A disc priest with atonement does more dps and it's healing them at the same time!

It's actually fun. You don't think about killing everything in sight. You think about how avoiding killing things. Completely different mindset. Kinda like "Don't stand in the #$%% fire" when dpsing. Yah your total damage is gonna drop, but you live to do more dps.

Get too many mobs (of the wrong type). Blind and run like a punk. Break aggro and try again.

You have a strange idea of fun but you did sum up holy paladin solo questing nicely.

Some people think standing in front of a mob and watching their health bounce progressively closer to 0 is fun too.... I think it's fun because you're gaming the system. The mobs can't actually hurt you (because of high armor, self heals, and increased run speed), so you instead of a kill x quest, it became an avoid y quest.
This is an amazing thread. I carry 3 sets of gear all the time. RET PVE-HOLY PVE\PVP. Ive been doing that for as long as i can remember. Personally i think anyone who is going to dailies in a holy spec is out of their minds...daily mobs cant kill you. DS\EX\HOTR\LH.

You can burn through everything so so fast. And if not knowing a ret playstyle is the problem
Get the clc ret add-on. It will literaly tell you what your next available option is.

If bag space is the problem.

Get 4 of those Royal Satchels.

That being said I dont want to make fun of anyone who chooses to do dailies in holy spec.
And i completely agree with the above post about atonement healers having outrageous dps
along with their outrageous heals. Im just so so jealous. Apparently though I'm a baddie.
I too quest as holy for the most part and do dailies as holy.

However the main reason is because I do the PvP dailies on Isle of Thunder, and of course I'd never be caught dead flagged for PvP in sub-par ret gear that's not even PvP. This is what some people and neglecting. For PvP it's almost essential to have an entire set of Ret gear, and not just ret gear, but PVP RET gear, which IS NOT EASY to farm, and can take weeks. (I know, I almost have a full mal PvP set for my ret)

Care to debate that one Vlada? Or would you risk doing the PvP dailies in a 465 ilvl PvE geared ret?

I completely understand the expenses involved with maintaining a second and even a 3rd set. But I'm just talking about dailies and gearing up a second spec for them. You don't need Dancing Steel or whatever else, ya know? Simple enchants are cheap. Green gems are cheap. You could get away with being a cheapskate and get the blue 415 rings and neck for maybe 300g a pop. Set limits per piece, don't give in to price gougers ;o You aren't gearing for heroics or raids, just running around smacking mobs for 30m or so :P

All the armor options I listed in my first post very low cost. The other stuff, yes, can add up. I could say that making money in this game isn't hard. Let me rephrase that, despite upkeep costs in this game, you can pretty much break even as long as you are actively out doing things. If you buy a set and then sit on it without doing dungeons, raids, and/or dailies you will lose money. It's an investment though. But I'm sure we're all swimming in our Scrooge McDuck money bins filled with hundreds of bags of 30g by now.

Also, alts. I know not everyone has the time, but you can become self sufficient in this game without too much effort. Even with one alt, you could find a way to provide enough of a profit to pay for small things one by one. I don't do everything I can on every toon I have, that'd be ridiculous, but with little effort on one toon I can break even after a week. There are people like me that have too much time on their hands and have every prof covered at max level, but I can't expect everyone to do the same.

If you don't have alts, and feel like the Ret set is needed, then start saving gold and throw it in the LOLRET jar. But as it's been said, it's not necessary. Just be prepared to have a few moments of frustration now and then if you go Holy.

But I digress. Doing the dailies in holy isn't awful, it's just nicer to do them as ret, and quicker. But I feel it's safer to do them as holy, I never get worried about over pulling and dying since I can survive against plenty of enemies. And if you spec into Harsh words (requires speccing out of eternal flame) and Holy shock it can make it easier.

It's sad though when you have to spend 3 tomes (6 to change back, which is necessary) just to change your talents around to do dailies. Either that or collect an entire new set of gear. Which may not be that hard, but isn't fun. And it isn't right for a game to FORCE you into doing something you don't want to do. Some people don't like playing as ret, but get pigeonholed into doing it, or else suffer through as their preferred spec.

If bag space is the problem.

Get 4 of those Royal Satchels.

Like everyone has a spare 12k in their pockets to waste on bags JUST because they're forced to collect an extra set, unlike almost every other healing spec?

Resto druid can dual spec boomkin and use their healing gear. Priests can use their same gear. Monks are in the same boat we are, but they at least can use more than 2 spells when fighting something. Shaman, elemental, same gear.
04/13/2013 09:28 AMPosted by Aleaina
Care to debate that one Vlada?

Debate what? That if you were dedicated enough, you could get a full set of epic PVP gear in less than a week? No, not really. If this had originally been a PVP discussion, you wouldn't see me in here. Regardless of gear, if PVP was your thing, are you going to let that stop you from doing dailies? Aren't you still going to try? Aren't you still going to be gearing up your PVP set by any means? I mean, if it's your focus, then what's the discussion? It's the same as stepping into a BG or arena in sub-par gear, isn't it? Are you going to avoid PVP until you are fully geared for it? Of course not.

Really doesn't change anything. Also realize that at the end of what you quoted, I did say it wasn't necessary to build a Ret set just to do dailies. Again, doesn't matter if you pick PVE or PVP.

So ya, I don't know what there is to debate.

I disagree with you about having the sads when you have to switch talents. I think it's great being able to switch things around on the fly. I don't feel limited. I also like not having to go all the way back to town to click on an NPC for 50g just to swap an ability. I'm sure you see the advantages. Talent swapping is not exclusive to Holy, I do it too as Ret. My raid set up BLOWS for dailies.

You don't even need Royal bags. Just stop keeping crap in your bags. Could probably ditch those Cata potions and feasts that you don't use anymore, those vanity items you use like once a week if you remember them, Frost Orbs?!, that one useless thing that shares the icon with something useful, 3 glasses of Milk... etc. Inventory management. Like, the only reason someone could complain about bag space is if they were still using 8 slot bags, and even then I have no sympathy. Want bigger bags? Go spend an hour farming embersilk and greens and go talk to your tailor friend.

My whole point in this thread is that things are never as hard as people make it sound. If you want nice things, it takes time and/or effort. Knowing that fact makes it really hard to take any complaints about bag space or easily acquired gear seriously. I'll still help with suggestions, though. Every bit helps, even input from others.