Durumu maze "nerf"

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
I'll admit, I greatly enjoy Durumu mostly because of the maze. I personally find it an incredibly fun mechanic. The problem with LFR is just that if you're not stacked well enough, then the safe spots don't open up under you and it gets a little harder to find them. But to be fair, this is countered by the Eye Sores doing practically no damage.

The safe spot is not supposed to open up "under you", nor does where or how well you are stacked have anything to do with the safe spot appearing. Check out the GIF that Slashlove linked.
if you support this fight as is you are officially an elitist

This is why we can't have nice things.

thinking easy mode is easy is considered elitist now.
I've been taking it upon myself to be the maze tour guide for ranged DPS and healers. As long as people follow my lead, they'll live. Unfortunately, there's no way to save the slow or dumb ones. All it takes is a couple of players who know what they're doing to volunteer and the fight isn't painful at all.

All in all, it's a pretty easy mechanic once you know there are always two identifiable paths in the maze: close to Durumu and near the edge of the ring.
04/07/2013 08:04 PMPosted by Azane
if you support this fight as is you are officially an elitist

This is why we can't have nice things.

thinking easy mode is easy is considered elitist now.

I wouldn't consider it elitist, but I would consider it a bad argument.

Do you know why its a bad argument to make?

The setting for your graphics makes it easier/harder dependin on what they're set at. Doin it with ultra graphics? Quite hard to see where I need to go. Turn particle density down? Suddenly I can see exactly where I need to go every single time.

That's not a mechanic, that's bad graphical issues.

I've done it successfully on every attempt I've had on Durumu in LFR with minimal damage even when I could barely see where I needed to go. That doesn't mean I think its a good thing though. Its dumb that turnin my graphics down drastically improves my ability to do a fight.
The setting for your graphics makes it easier/harder dependin on what they're set at. Doin it with ultra graphics? Quite hard to see where I need to go. Turn particle density down? Suddenly I can see exactly where I need to go every single time.

That's not a mechanic, that's bad graphical issues.

Ok. Post screenshots, from the same perspective (ideally in my mind a top-down view of the first "opening up" of the maze after the initial safe zone appears and you move into it) that depict the drastic difference between Ultra and Low. It should be very easy to demonstrate this on LFR considering your group will wipe more than enough times to get a good look at the maze on all graphics settings.

I would do this myself but I play on Low thanks to a dying videocard and so cannot compare it to Ultra.
I've yet to see an ultra screenshot or video that shows the maze not being visible.

I've realized that LFR attracts a special kind of colorblindness called stupid.
Different strokes for different folks. I found Ji-kun and Durumu to be the most fun bosses of the tier.
only for LFR

I'd say don't change reg/heroic simply because at this point we're used to it, regardless of how easy they make it look its still a change. And in all honesty on regular I think the drain life mechanic during the second light phase is the hardest part of the fight, not the maze.
04/06/2013 02:42 PMPosted by Azane
Yes, fighting the physical limitations of your own eyesight should be a boss mechanic.

There are blind people in this world

Why is this not balanced for people with no eyesight?

Where do you draw the line? I personally draw the line around the 95% margin, in which, if you nerf it so more than 95% of a population can do something, you start having to balance around handicaps, which, is not good design.

Except right now this mechanic is at the 5% margin. I was in a group last night trying it for hte first time. Some pulls I was able to see the path just fine. Other pulls I was managing to stay in it, but had absolutely 0 visibility. There was no clear path. i stayed in it because somebody else had marked themselves and I was staying with them. But there was no clear spot on my screen.

Right now the issue is not always one of skill or capability of the player. Right now its so poorly done its comes down to a matter of bad design. The concept and the idea is pretty cool. The implementation sucks.

I'm not asking for a glowing beacon to come down and mark the area we move to next or for the size of the clear space to triple. I'm just asking for a design change so that however big the clear space it, it is always a clear space.
The problem is not seeing it.

The problem is if your on the wrong side when it starts your dead an you do not have time to move.

It can go left or right an there is no way to tell which path its going to take until after your dead.

The images i have seen only shows it going in one direction but that is not correct.

The problem is if your on the wrong side when it starts your dead an you do not have time to move.

It can go left or right an there is no way to tell which path its going to take until after your dead.

The images i have seen only shows it going in one direction but that is not correct.

Except there is a perfectly visible way of seeing where to stand BEFORE the beam activates: purple "lightning-esque" squiggles all over the ground (this is the side you want to be on). That's not the issue, at all. The only issue we're having is getting in a safe spot when the beam activates so that we can start the maze, which I think will be completely remedied this week by taking 30 sec to look at the GIF going around.

Edit: Here it is, again, for the lazies.

http://i.imgur.com/JlaLGOx.gif

This is wrong... there is a clear crackling graphic on the ground that shows which way he is turning. Visible on every graphic setting, you just have to know what you're looking for.
Right now the issue is not always one of skill or capability of the player. Right now its so poorly done its comes down to a matter of bad design. The concept and the idea is pretty cool. The implementation sucks.

Screenshot or video of your maze not being visable? I've yet to see 1.
Posted by Azane
95% of wow players, if not more can see the Maze

Citation needed

Actually, it isn't. Given the number of 6-wipe attempts and anecdotal evidence of players indicating they can't see the lead-ins for the maze, I'm pretty sure we won't find evidence of 95% of WoW players being able to "see it".
Ancedotal evidence is fun

I've yet to see any real evidence of the maze being invisible, every single screenshot or video had the opening fine.

I've yet to see any real evidence of the maze being invisible, every single screenshot or video had the opening fine.

I really don't think it's a graphical issue at all. People just need to understand how the Eye Sores fill in: once the purple passes the beam, you have to take a step toward the beam into the openings, and then wait (patience!) for the maze to clear out. People just stand there in the initial opening like they think it's going to dynamically form the maze around them.
Lets put it this way Azane - No. There is no need for me to submit a screen shot to prove a single thing to you because you don't matter anymore than I do. I'm voicing my concern and providing blizzard with a report of my experience. I've done it here and did it in game.

Sorry, but you don't get enough of my time and effort to do the maze, think of hitting an extra button while I'm trying to survive, getting that image uploaded then coming back to the boards to post it. You aren't worth it. Nor is your attitude.

I guess you are taking the stance that every single person who has come in here to share their experience on durumu is lying or bad? Simply because you happen to have no problems with it. Because you don't nobody else in the world does? Well tough cookies for you.

I and many others have shared their feedback with blizzard. If they feel enough people are having the problem, they will fix it. If not, they won't. Its as simple as that.
cause that's HUGE and the easiest path to take by far.

You can basically RP walk the center opening, since as you know, the circle is smaller there and the time the opening is open is the same so to travel the same percentage of the circumference it takes way less time. Anyone who gets behind on the outside is in for a world of hurt, while if you just stay at the very front of the opening in the center it's essentially impossible to mess up unless you have a panic attack for a good 5 seconds.

I also really don't understand the purpose in that gif that was linked of backing up into the initial opening. it opens when you're still standing in an open area, just wait for it to open ahead of you and go in...

I'll admit when I first saw the maze mechanic I really couldn't make heads or tails from it, but after the first time I saw how the initial exterior walls interact with the shorter wedges that form the limitations of the path, I was golden. It took me a a few attempts but now it is simple. I'm not saying this for your benefit, Naumu, but the key I think a lot of people who fail to see the maze are missing is that you shouldn't STRAIN to see it, you are looking too hard if you do that. relax your eyes, take deep breaths and look for bare ground.

Dont try to look at all the purple. forget about that, just relax and look for the floor color. The beam isn't going to catch you, especially if you're in the center ring. If you have to walk over a patch of purple because you got distracted and missed a small part of the safe path, it's way better to do that and take a little more damage than to get killed by the beam. On LFR especially, a little extra damage is heal-able.

People just stand there in the initial opening like they think it's going to dynamically form the maze around them.

Even if it doesn't do that, it's ok to stand right next to where the maze first spawns and wait for it to open, even on normal, so LFR it's easypeasy to stand there and just heal a little. I've never bothered to go backwards, it seems counter-intuitive.

I and many others have shared their feedback with blizzard. If they feel enough people are having the problem, they will fix it. If not, they won't. Its as simple as that.

I understand that it can be hard to see, but it's probably a matter of your perspective and what you're looking for more than anything. If you focus too hard on the purple, that's all you'll see! :(

Personally, I don't buy that it's "invisible" under certain graphic settings, but I still had a really tough time "seeing" the opening as it emerged. I could see it once I was in it (following someone else) but never was able to see the opening start soon enough to keep from dying.

I just dislike gimmicks and tricks; this one will come and go but I don't find it all that interesting and it doesn't test my ability to "play my character" well.

I also dislike referring to those having difficulty with it as "stupid" or things like that.