So when is Blizzard going to support Linux?

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Prev 1 2 3 4 11 Next
EDIT: The different versions between distributions only have to do with how that specific distribution packages and installs things. For instance, if you were to look at what a package does, it more often than not does nothing more than download/install binaries. Even further, if you look into how those binaries are made, you'll find that most packages do nothing but compile the code with default or extra settings, no patches. Take every single AUR (Arch Linux User Repository) package available for instance. The general chain goes something like: fetch source - compile source - install into filesystem. It's this way even for complicated projects such as Wayland or Xorg. The notion that there is differing source (or versions as you call it) for each distro is completely false. I'll even go one step further and say that the code 99.9% of the time will not even need or want to account for any individual distribution over the other. Prove to me that this is even remotely true and I'll leave.

Have you ever looked into say... the SDL source code? Or how about something larger like GIMP? How often have you seen, "Oh, Ubuntu does this so we have to take this into account, while Fedora does this". You never see that, show me one single example of where this happens and once again, I'll leave. You are free to search their code as well, it's open-source.

Also, they aren't completely different OS's, they all have a common ABI (which is all that matters to an application) and are based around the Linux versioning. If that isn't a similarity, then I don't know what is.

Why is it I can run UT2004 on Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch Linux, and even FreeBSD? Probably others if I cared to try. This is why I doubt you because you don't spout a single spec of sense.

EDIT: Also, if you think applications don't sometimes need to take into account that there are multiple versions of Windows, you're incorrect. Windows XP is different from Windows 7. The same is true for any OS. Over time, things change, hopefully for the better (including Windows). There is no magical "standard" (which doesn't mean !@#$ in this context) that everyone abides by. This is why things like SDL and OpenAL which abstract the OS are very useful. There's no need to access the hardware or OS-specific facilities directly and if there is one, you abstract so you can add flexibility later.

There's very little benefit from designing your application to be platform specific.
Linux on the desktop numbers would have to go way higher before the for-profit game publishers could justify releasing games for the OS. Steam is trying to jumpstart the process but their effort won't matter much in the long run unless more people use Linux on their PCs. < 2% is tiny.

There's something here that should be pointed out. That "less than 2%" is for people actually using Steam on Linux. There's three possible issues here.

1. This one might not be an issue, depending on how the survey works, but it may be possible that Steam running under WINE is misrepresented as a copy of windows. Here's a link that shows that it detects WINE, but it also lists OS as Windows XP: http://anonymousdimwit.blogspot.com/2012/08/steams-hardware-survey-detects-wine.html

2. There are people are daily Linux users, but have a Windows OS for things that don't work well on Linux, such as games. This people of course would be listed as Windows users by Steam.

3. There are people who would be willing to switch to Linux... if there was support. I don't use Windows because its so wonderful, I use it because games (usually) work with it. *glares at Bioshock 1 sound issues and Bioshock 2 crashing for no apparent reason* I would gladly switch to Linux if I could. That would mean $100+ that wouldn't have to be spent on the OS. In most causes that probably means moving up a bracket with the CPU or graphics card.

The fact they have ANY Linux users listed is kind of amazing. Their selection of games is extremely small.

One thing Steam could do is to add another question or two in their survey.
Something like: What is your preferred OS?
Windows
Mac OSX
Linux

Or something like: If there was more support for Linux, would you use it?
Yes
No
Undecided/Maybe

The first question is a bit more fair, while the second question is more so fishing for answers in trying to support Linux. Either way, it may help give better answers to if supporting Linux is acceptable from a business standpoint.
Just to follow on with the steam argument, the games they are offering for linux on steam are most definitely not current or high rated titles, they're titles that were easy to port.
Left 4 Dead 2?
Counter Strike: Source?
Portal?
Bastion? (not Valve made but probably one of the higher end indie games I have)
Half Life?
Team Fortress 2?

All available on Linux and in my Library.
Just to follow on with the steam argument, the games they are offering for linux on steam are most definitely not current or high rated titles, they're titles that were easy to port.

Form your Comments i can tell you dont know jack abount Linux in its Current state as you can see here is a high rated title L4D2 running Native on Linux
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG-2StSFE2U

Left 4 Dead 2?
Counter Strike: Source?
Portal?
Bastion? (not Valve made but probably one of the higher end indie games I have)
Half Life?
Team Fortress 2?

All available on Linux and in my Library.

and Yes Counter Strike Half Life and L4D2 are some of the most well known Games of all times DOTA is coming to Linux aswell
Well its a older thread but ill bite sense its kinda current..

As far as people saying linux is not viable or theirs to many distros to support.. They only need to support one ... Valve did this by going with Ubuntu where 50 percent of the linux user-base lives.. As far as they would need to support every distro that is false again.. There might be many distros from Ubuntu which a fork of Debian to Fedora to Arch to Suse so on so forth alot of that has to pretain to the package delivery system... All major distro's conform to LSB (for those inept to Google that) its called Linux standard base. Meaning it conforms to a spcific way and a standard way to run apps the way the kernel is the way x org works....

Yes we know there's a mac client.. While people think that mac is based on linux its more BSD then it is linux while they do share a common ground theres a few subtitle differences that make trying to run it on linux impossible. While that may be the case it does lay the ground work for a linux client as they do share alot of common heritage.

Most of the difference between the two is the Graphical api while it does use (mac os version of open gl) There major programming language for OpenGL is OpenCL . Well for video at least..

As far as audio goes Linux does fall flat while alsa pulse oss and a few others can serve up audio on pretty much any sound card the fact remains There source code is bad when i mean bad seriously if it wasn't for Open AL hiding most of the mess from developers we would prob have alot less then we have now..

With that being said there has been many great milestones tho now for linux the fud that is windows 8 People migrating to more open source or even mac computers..

Steam explosion on linux 100+ games in less then a few months is not bad..
Granted Dota 2 and a few other games like cs go have a native home now on linux... Its kinda at the cross road remember those consoles that 2 years in your starting to just see games.. Thats kinda like linux atm... While there has always been some games Your going to hopefully see a major influx..

That being said TLDR Linux is viable for a Native port for WOW...

Not from a business perspective.
07/30/2013 03:51 PMPosted by Ziryus

While this is ultimately true at the moment, the same could be said for the Mac version. But Blizzard has always had a small but dedicated Mac fanbase. Most of the Mac Forum regulars right here on the WoW forums have been here a very long time. Linux players have a similar fanbase. Just not here on battle.net.

That said, there's been a rumor going around for a very long time that Blizzard has a Linux-native build of the game running internally. Obviously this is just a rumor, but it wouldn't be at all surprising.

So if and when the Linux fanbase gets loud enough, and the costs of maintenance becomes tolerable, I have no doubt Blizzard would release that Linux native build.
07/30/2013 04:27 PMPosted by Stoneblade

While this is ultimately true at the moment, the same could be said for the Mac version. But Blizzard has always had a small but dedicated Mac fanbase. Most of the Mac Forum regulars right here on the WoW forums have been here a very long time. Linux players have a similar fanbase. Just not here on battle.net.

That said, there's been a rumor going around for a very long time that Blizzard has a Linux-native build of the game running internally. Obviously this is just a rumor, but it wouldn't be at all surprising.

So if and when the Linux fanbase gets loud enough, and the costs of maintenance becomes tolerable, I have no doubt Blizzard would release that Linux native build.

you are right about one thing... Blizzard does have a internal un released linux build... They have stated that many times before...
07/30/2013 03:51 PMPosted by Ziryus

Humble indy bundles steam for linux says otherwise.
07/30/2013 11:22 PMPosted by Mercymizery

Indy games that sell for a few bucks a pop are a completely different business model from WoW.

Indy games that sell for a few bucks a pop are a completely different business model from WoW.

last i checked wow was bleeding 1.2 + millions subscribers a quarter... Maybe it would be time for them to actually look to other platforms to bring some fresh new users....

As far as its a diffrent animal a sale is a sale no offence granted its pay once play the point being is linux users spend more money on games for linux then your average windows user... fact

fact is linux users like games... fact

Please quit trying to shroud that games only belong on windows when multi platform os support is the way to go and that is a fact... Theirs enough data to the contrary to disprove that not supporting linux would hurt them... Indy start up companies and companies that sucked it up and took the plunge to linux and mac support did not suffer... that's also fact..

Fact being companies that had more to loose by supporting linux then blizzard would have to loose did it and it was a success.. also fact..
With WoW numbers trending downward and Linux usage remaining stagnant for the past 15 years (despite with Linux evangelists will tell you) there's little incentive to cater to such a small minority.
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

funny how it beats out vista granted its vista and a little over half of the windows 8 users?? 8 percent vs 4 percent theirs a few trailing numbers...

its not up to mac usage at 9 percent and still under windows 7 usage but still.. there no where near as small of a percentage as people claim..
W3school LMAO, that only tracks visitors to THAT SITE which is mostly developers.

Learn to use real analytics.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201206-201306

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8&qpcustomd=0
op ill sum it up more simply... When the sheep and others can pull there head out of Microsoft !@# long enough to realize there is a life after windows then mb you might get a Linux port..
op ill sum it up more simply... When the sheep and others can pull there head out of Microsoft !@# long enough to realize there is a life after windows then mb you might get a Linux port..

calm down on the fanboyism. Also stop calling others sheep, it does nothing but alienate you from people who may otherwise start to listen.
07/31/2013 06:58 PMPosted by Hiroran

calm down on the fanboyism. Also stop calling others sheep, it does nothing but alienate you from people who may otherwise start to listen.

thats fine and sorry if you took me as a raving b***h... Just gets frustrating when people are just asking for there favort game to be ported to a os of there choosing and people belittle them into the ground because of it... If you would care to have a civil discussion about it im all ears.. literately im an elf there our most prominent features :P...
1st of the month. It's time to check Steam stats again

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

The proportion of gamers on Steam using Windows 8 x64 was +1.1% in July. For Linux of all flavors, +0.1%.

umm actually windows 8 is .78 of a percent

linux as a whole for those that actually get counted... is 1.68 percent

i could pretty much guess with 100 percent being right that not all those windows numbers are in fact actual windows installs... Wish steam still tracked by display server.... Cause im sure a few of them are wine installs.. anything that comes up Xorg or X11 wont be windows.

On another note as far as wow goes only blizzard knows the true numbers of Linux users.. Sense wine does report windows differently especially at the display server and driver revsiion number.