My name got stolen and I want it back

Customer Support
my account is old and was inactive for a few years. one of my character names that i had from day one launch of the game got taken from me by someone else. there appears to be nothing in place for me to get it back and i do in fact want it back. it was a gnome warlock named squishy. its a character i never finished but really enjoyed, and now that im back i wanted to play it again as something different from the tanks and healers that i usually play.

my account is old and has been inactive yes, but surely in a game as old as this people come and go and come back again. there should be some advantage to having an old account with names that you reserved. i was told by a gm that he has never heard of this ever happening before, someone coming back to the game and wanting their stolen name back and that there is no system in place for it to be returned. he suggested that i start a thread in the forums in hopes that it comes to someones attention that can do something about it.

i looked up the character who has my name and its a level 30 blood elf warlock on the dalvengyr server. it seems to be active but the fact is, he had to have petitioned to take my name and someone at blizzard had to have done it for him. all i want is my characters name back and i would appreciate a response.
Submit a ticket and explain the situation and ask for the name back, that's all you can do.
All you can do is open a ticket and ask that the name be returned.
it should be pointed out that while only blizzard knowns the exact guidelines for sure. there are certin points that are to be examined if someone requests a name to be freed up.

inactivity/character level for example maybe 2 of the points to be examined. as well as others.
so really you can only open a case to contest that the name was taken and ask them to review it aginst the guildlines used to free up a name.

choose your wording carefully.
Sorry, but its doubtful you will get it back.

The person petitioned for the name, Blizzard looked at their criteria for releasing a name, and unfortunately for you those criteria were met.

You can always submit a ticket for the name, and Blizzard will look at the situation same as when it happened to you and make a determination.

On a side note, if things do not go your way - don't harass the person who has the name now, it can get you into trouble. Not saying you would do that :) just being informative.
i opened an in game ticked and this is what he suggested i do, open a forum thread. im not planning on giving the guy a hard time and i dont want to cause some huge stink over it. all i want is my name back :)
Ah, so you were told that the name would not be returned to you but if you wanted to make a suggestion about the policy then you would need to do so on the forums. We can direct you to the proper place for that!

The developers who read suggestions do not come to the CS forums, nor do the reps here convey any suggestions to them. You will need to put together a well thought out suggestion post covering your issue and your constructive thoughts as to how you think the system needs to be changed. Suggestions go in the matching subject matter forum (NOT any of the Support forums) or in this case General.
ah so you are suggesting that i post something in general forums? that is more or less what i was told mirasol but i figured this was a CS issue. i am getting the impression that im not going to be getting my name back. to say the least i dont like the policy. its like a calculated gamble that no one will come back and cause an issue about it.
ah so you are suggesting that i post something in general forums? that is more or less what i was told mirasol but i figured this was a CS issue. i am getting the impression that im not going to be getting my name back. to say the least i dont like the policy. its like a calculated gamble that no one will come back and cause an issue about it.
Unfortunately, if the GM already told you no, then you will not be getting the name back.
No, you won't get the name back no matter where you post or ask at this point.

All that is left for you to do, if you want to, is make a suggestion for the policy to be changed. The suggestion should state clearly how you think it should be improved. That is a bit tricky though because they have never told us exactly what it takes to get a name released like that. Hard to suggest changes when we don't know exactly how the current system works. If you decide to do that, it would go on the General Forums where the devs can see it.
http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/requesting-a-name-be-released-for-reuse

Blizzard will always protect the integrity of an active subscription's character names. If you are a paying subscriber or have active game time on your account, none of your names will be altered provided that they are all in compliance with our Naming Policies.

Blizzard has only been know to Free Up names in a few cases. Other then the above quote they will not post what criteria they use. However forum regulars know of only 2 type of cases in which they have.

1. The most common cases is, where it was a place holder name. One in which someone made the name, but never logged in on it. Also in these cases the “owner” hasn’t had an active subscription in several months. How long they have to be inactive is anyone’s guess, I have heard anywhere from 3 to 6 months.

Please note: Toons under level 10 do not show up on the Armory. So just because the toon does not show up on the armory, does not mean it is inactive. It could be a very active account, but they just are not currently leveling that toon.

2. the next most common are names on very inactive starter, or the old trail accounts that have never been up graded to a full account. Again in these cases how long they have to be inactive is anyone's guess. Note: Players with starter accounts, can still have the names of any inactive toon taken from them. So they should log into them from time to time to keep them "active." How often they should do this, I do not know. But once a week should be enough.

Lastly it is highly unlikely that Blizzard would take the name of a toon that has been leveled to any extent. Again the level cut off is anyone’s guess. Those that are under Level 10 are the most likely to be freed up. However: Except for a very few low level Dks, I have never heard of them freeing up a level 50 or above, name.
Well, you were inactive and blizzard has taken a stance on inactivity now. You can be dethroned as the GM of a guild and you can lose your name. Once you go fully inactive for the allotted time they basically assume you aren't going to come back. There are also now more limitations on names which has prompted a lot of people to petition names from inactive players. Can you really blame them?
The game has been out for awhile and while there is ample creativity when it comes to creating character names there are many desired names out there that have been made completely inaccessible because they exist on accounts that may not otherwise be played. With that in mind we created policies that allow us to help in such situations.

Requesting a Name to be Released for Reuse.

my account is old and has been inactive yes, but surely in a game as old as this people come and go and come back again. there should be some advantage to having an old account with names that you reserved.

Yes, people come and go, but some do not and it is nigh impossible to tell which one a specific account may be. One of the main factors involved in if a name can be released is time, but it is not how long ago you may have created the account. It is how long the account has been inactive.

04/15/2013 10:49 AMPosted by Pez
there appears to be nothing in place for me to get it back and i do in fact want it back.

There is, but it is the same policies that allowed the name to be released for reuse. If the character is inactive you may submit a ticket to ask that the name be made available for use.

It is never our intention to inconvenience our players, Pez, I'm sorry that you have been negatively impacted by this situation.

If you wish to provide feedback/suggestions about this you may want to use the in-game option through the interface.
It's a good policy for the game, as it discourages the "Gold Rush" effect of people locking down every single "Cool" word regardless of whether they intend to use them or not.

It's a good policy for Blizzard, as it rightly distinguishes between regular paying (active) customer and customers who may either play once then move on or only visit every year or two to see what's changed.

It's a good policy for players, as it helps them find identies and themes they enjoy that they might otherwise not be able to use because someone six years ago thought of it first.

It's a good technical policy... because SCREW THOSE STUPID EXTENDED ASCII NAMES. Those were honestly the only option without some kind of sensible name reuse. They got rid of them, thankfully, and so now recycling names is the only way to keep everyone from being named Fshrhsrhshghs.

Honestly this is one of the rare times that a policy benefits everyone.... except the grumpy name hoarder who hogged everything during the gold rush of a new server and then six years later...instead of being grateful that Blizzard even KEPT his characters at all (because honestly I was shocked to learn Blizzard didn't delete data if you stopped paying when I first heard about WoW)...instead of being grateful he still has his main toon, he's upset he didn't get to keep the lvl 1 placeholder too.

I hope you keep your subscription up, buddy. I suspect a lot of people would like the name "Pez".
SCREW THOSE STUPID EXTENDED ASCII NAMES. ... They got rid of them, thankfully

Side note: They did not get rid of Upper ASCII names. They are allowed.