Ret Vs Spriest

Paladin
Best strats, go
Die.

But, seriously, this from another thread.

04/15/2013 10:41 AMPosted by Gildriel
Spriests: Spriests are tough, just watch for DP and Mind Flay insanity. If you're using Vial cooldowns, you can see the CD of psychic scream. they use it like a hunter uses silencing shot: every time it's up. I like to watch for it to be up, them move out of melee range for a second or two, playing cautiously, and I find that a majority of times I can dodge it. Save your trinket for 3 orbs, and save your HoJ for when you need to bubble, so it wont get MDed instantly. Remember that if you shadow lock a priest they cant disperse. If they silence you and proceed to burst, dont be afraid to trinket a silence. It's actually smart.
Hey, my thread of doom actually proved useful.

Allow me to elaborate more. Spriest can do literally nothing to keep a Ret paladin off of them without psychic scream. We have freedom, which essentially allows us 100% uptime. Some spriests will use Psyfiend. This should not be a problem, if you're glyphed right. I use the glyph of Turn Evil in a lot of situation, and fighting a spriest is a great one.

Heres what you need:
Situational awareness
Glyph of Turn Evil
and this macro

#showtooltip
/target Psyfiend
/cast Turn Evil
/targetlasttarget

And just like that, their only other move to make a gap is gone.

Besides that, psychic scream is their way of relieving pressure off of them. That and disperse. But most shadow priests are literally STARING at their Psychic scream button when they're getting trained by melee. If you're using Vial Cooldowns, you can see the cooldown on Psychic Scream above their head. When I see the timer reaching ~3 seconds I start to become cautious. Getting caught in their fear means that not only am I relieving pressure on them, and making a gap, but I have also allowed them to build orbs, heal, and become comfortable. and I just wasted my time. Psychic scream is a 30 second cooldown, you just got feared for 7 seconds, and you're going to take at least 6-7 more seconds to get back on your target. You just lost 15 seconds of uptime, and now you'll only get 15 seconds of uptime before PS is off cooldown.

SO ANYWAYS watch for Psychic scream. It's so easy to dodge, its ridiculously predictable, and with Vial Cooldowns its like playing a simple game. Psychic scream has about 5 seconds left before it's up again, I'm going to run in on the spriest and dump some TVs, and just BRAG about how I'm in melee range and he cant do anything about it. Theres only a second left, I'm going to take a few steps away from the spriest and let him fear some critters while I continue my onslaught.

So theres just dodging their CC.

Here's their abilities to watch out for:

Silence 45 sec CD 5 second blanket

Do not worry, this is a blanket, not an interrupt. You can free-cast all day on a spriest, they wont stop you.

Devouring Plague:

This is their burst. It has no CD, but they need orbs to use it. I'll discuss that in a second. But for now, heres what you need to know about Devouring Plague. Every spriest and their moms jumped on the new talent Solace and Insanity. It makes their mind flay/seer (or whichever those pesky priests use) hit for 33% additional damage per Orb consumed. Now, if you know what mind flay/seer looks like, then you're already taking a step in the right direction to shut down their burst. If you're not very aware of everything going on with your character at ALL TIMES, blizzard made this one easy for you. If you dont notice that you have devouring plague (rets can dispel), you'll surely notice the giant !@#$ing beam shooting out of the priests hands and into your face. You CANNOT miss it, unless you play on a crayola box graphics card. You want devouring plague off of you ASAP.

Mind Blast: 15 second CD, generates a shadow orb. Hits for about 40k ish.

IF you're going to interrupt a spell, interrupt this one. Forget Vampiric Touch and all that other evil sounding stuff, this is the one to interrupt.

Dispersion: They become a gas cloud of evil vapor and run away. They take 90% less damage, remove movement impairing effects, and can do it while stunned. BUT THEY CANNOT DISPERSE IF YOU SHADOW LOCK THEM. So shadow lock them. Duhh.

Just a note: Spriests don't have a "selfless healer" type of deal. No Word of Glory either. They have some basic heals like renew, PW:S, Divine Star/Halo, and another I forget, but if they want to heal, they're hardcasting. If a spriest fears you and then proceeds to start flash healing, don't feel forced to trinket. They dont heal for nearly as much as we do, and they cant full restore themselves the way we do.

Another thing to note: Mana.

Casters in MoP use this crazy thing called mana now. An spriest going OOM isnt uncommon. Watch their mana, see if they're out of mana. Know to play offensively.

Lastly, Mass Dispel. The one class that can remove our bubble. If things are going well for you in a duel and you need to bubble, try your hardest to CC the priest during a bubble. And to always cast in the bubble. Save your WoGs for when it's dispelled. If you have 3 stacks of selfless healer, use it, then CC, then Bubble, then hardcast.

Remember that duels are also entirely situational. Just because I put it on paper, doesnt mean read it while dueling a priest.

Best of luck, and just remember that Seal of Insight is always worth the damage loss. You cant do damage if you're dead/lost a duel.

Edit: Its 5 AM, I havent slept yet because I have an exam today, and I'm not editing the stupid things I said while I am drowsy. DEAL WITH IT
04/16/2013 02:46 AMPosted by Gildriel
Besides that, psychic scream is their way of relieving pressure off of them. That and disperse. But most shadow priests are literally STARING at their Psychic scream button when they're getting trained by melee. If you're using Vial Cooldowns, you can see the cooldown on Psychic Scream above their head. When I see the timer reaching ~3 seconds I start to become cautious. Getting caught in their fear means that not only am I relieving pressure on them, and making a gap, but I have also allowed them to build orbs, heal, and become comfortable. and I just wasted my time. Psychic scream is a 30 second cooldown, you just got feared for 7 seconds, and you're going to take at least 6-7 more seconds to get back on your target. You just lost 15 seconds of uptime, and now you'll only get 15 seconds of uptime before PS is off cooldown.

I like the strat, but I'm confused on how you get them to blow the first PS without eating it.
Roll over and die, next!
They're pretty much always going to get the first psychic scream. Butt they shouldnt have orbs by then so you needn't worry