A modification to disenchanting in dungeons

Professions
I'm an enchanter and I've seen other enchanters complain about people getting enchanting mats in dungeons in the past. I got an idea of how to make it so it doesn't seem like people are taking advantage of your skills in dungeons and you aren't getting anything out of it.

If you do a disenchant roll and someone else does a disenchant roll if they win you'll still gain a certain amount of materials related to that material.

For example :

You roll on a blue item
It's an Etheral shard
someone else wins it and they get the etheral shard
but you as the enchanter whose skill is being used gain 1 small etheral shard (1/3 of the item)

You roll on a purple item
it's a purple shard
someone else wins it and gains the shard
you gain 2 etheral shard (2/5 of the item)

You roll on a green item
It's a mysterious essence (ME for the sake of not writing it a million times)
someone else wins it and gains 1-4 mysterious essences
You gain 1 ME if it's 1 ME, 1 ME if it's 2 ME, 1 ME and 2 Spirit dust if it's 3 ME, 2 ME if it's 4 ME.

You roll on a green item
it's a spirit dust
same rules as ME. Basically you gain as close to half of the green mat as possible. Except for 3 spirit dust you would only gain 1 spirit dust.

Sorry I forgot some of the names for some of these items but I think you get the idea. I've run dungeons and heroics as both an enchanter and as a person who isn't an enchanter and I can see why enchanters complain about other people getting all these mats and they don't gain anything from it and the only reason the other people gain anything out of it is because of your profession. It's great as a non-enchanter to go into a dungeon or heroic and get those mats though but I think it would be nice for the enchanter to get something out of it as well (besides the normal dungeon/heroic things such as gear, rep, exp etc). Use these same rules for other purple, blue, green and white enchanting materials in the lower lvl dungeons/heroics as well.
04/09/2013 08:25 PMPosted by Lightfool
but I think it would be nice for the enchanter to get something out of it as well

The enchanter gets to buy cheap mats off the AH and then make scrolls to sell, making tons of gold.
Dungeons aren't the primary source of enchanting materials in this game. Undesirable crafted goods are the main source of enchanting materials. People who get them in the dungeons either buy an enchant from an enchanter or sell the materials dirt cheap on the AH.
the only change to this id like to see is remove the need for the enchanter and have the DE option available all the time. or maybe to prevent people from farming mats themselves only in groups of 5 people.
^^^No, that's dumb. It's a thing called RNG. Plus, how often do you find yourself in a dg with someone from your own realm anyway? What difference does it make if someone from another realm who you will probably never run into again gets to DE loot in a dg? That's not going to make or break anything on your realm. Call me crazy, but there are WAAAY more efficient ways of farming mats then going into 5 mans.
So now we are beating the dust of the bones of the dead horse?

Auto-DE is fine and keeps the prices of shards low for enchanters. If you are at all concerned about the few BoE uncommons that get DE'd in dungeons, then you know nothing about enchanting. In Mists, I easily craft more dust then I can use, and the prices are so cheap, players should likely be selling / vendoring the BoE's rather than disenchanting them.

I do agree with Zachfu however, requiring an enchanter be present in the dungeon is unnecessary.
I do agree with Zachfu however, requiring an enchanter be present in the dungeon is unnecessary.
As an enchanter since I started in BC, I have no issue with auto disenchant. Any small degree that increasing the supply of enchanting mats lowers the AH prices I can get for them is offset by:

-less gold inflation from people vendoring the items that are disenchanted instead
-cheap mats on the AH actually help enchanters make money selling the enchants they've learned, instead of selling mats they DE on the AH. Enchanters arguably should make money by Enchanting, not disenchanting
-saving me the time it used to take to shard everything and distribute the shards via /roll at the end of a dungeon

Yes, that last part is the important part. That's how it worked before auto-disenchant. We'd down Quagmirran or Kael, I'd DE the unwanted items from the entire Heroic's run, and everyone would /roll, with any crystals going to the highest roller, and shards distributed down the line. I didn't get tips for DEing. I didn't get anything out of it unless someone Hearthed and/or left the group before I could distribute. Everyone "took advantage of your skill" then, no differently than now, only now I don't have to waste time doing it.
I realize dungeons and heroics aren't the main place to get mats but I don't see how you'd have a problem with this as either an enchanter or non-enchanter, it's a win win.
It is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Enchanters already benefit from the process in lower material costs.
04/09/2013 08:25 PMPosted by Lightfool
I got an idea of how to make it so it doesn't seem like people are taking advantage of your skills in dungeons and you aren't getting anything out of it.

1. People are not taking advantage of anything. Without the auto disenchant, they would get a piece of gear instead because they won the roll. Winner of roll gets a choice with the auto disenchant, since you are unable to trade cross realm and thus are prohibited from being nice and d/e'ing their gear for them at the end of the run.

2. If you dont like 'sharing' (and i use the term very loosely) your profession, you are free to run 5 mans by yourself and get all the rolls to yourself.

3. If you are actually relying on auto disenchant of dungeon drops, or your 'old epics' for enchanting mats, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

That is all. Did not even read anything beyond what i quoted.
I realize dungeons and heroics aren't the main place to get mats but I don't see how you'd have a problem with this as either an enchanter or non-enchanter, it's a win win.

The idea is based on the concept that the enchanter is entitled to something for having the profession. We are not.

Also, what happens when more then one enchanter is in the queue? Maybe he is a selfish moron who doesn't want to "share" his profession while that was the whole reason I leveled enchanting in the first place. Why should he get the extras over me?
Oh look . . . it's that dead horse.
04/11/2013 10:29 AMPosted by Jozie

The idea is based on the concept that the enchanter is entitled to something for having the profession. We are not.

Also, what happens when more then one enchanter is in the queue? Maybe he is a selfish moron who doesn't want to "share" his profession while that was the whole reason I leveled enchanting in the first place. Why should he get the extras over me?

I agree with ya Jozie. This is from chanters getting to keep all the mats to themselves back in vanilla and TBC. I remember specifically waiting until everyone had rolled, on my enchanter, if noone needed I would. Then I would de later after the run.

In TBC this changed slightly. At end of run we would typically wait around after last boss. No need on the purple then we'd de it and roll on the crystals. If the chanter bailed, then QQ was nuts. I was very happy when this changed in WOTLK to need, greed, or de. Made things so much simpler.

Ever since that change, some enchanters still think of these mats as "theirs" when RNG says it isn't. Which makes me point and laugh. :p
This really didn't need a necro, much less one with three "replies" in a row but I'll bite a litle:

Currently on my realm I purchase spirit dust for 1.47-2.10 a dust. I make an enchant that sells several times a day for 30 gold or more. So for my investment of 6-8 gold I'm getting 24 gold profit--for every single scroll I sell of that enchant. I get cheap materials and turn them into something usable which a non-enchanter cannot do.

That's how we enchanters make gold. It's the second most lucrative profession in the game and the experienced gold pros sell enchants, not materials, and we get rich.

Pro tip: Never answer an advertisement in trade unless someone is offering a set fee which you believe makes doing the service worth your time.
05/04/2013 12:15 PMPosted by Garregish
Again.. just so it is very clear to ALL the NON-Enchanters. The problem enchanters have with the group DE roll button, isn't so much that we mind sharing our profession, the problem is that we are being FORCED to.

Some enchanters have that problem. Most of us are fine with it because it literally doesn't impact us negatively in any way whatsoever. It's not like we have to click a button to DE the thing for somebody else. It takes no time or effort, the DEing of dungeon gear is entirely passive. And the result is that non-enchanters, who by definition have no use for enchanting mats, put those mats up on the AH for us, increasing supply.

If you picked up enchanting with visions of getting rich by DEing dungeon drops for tips, you're doing it wrong.