Frost or Unholy for PvE?

Death Knight
Hey, I'm just wondering which is more fun and interesting unholy or frost? This is the only lvl 90 toon I have. I have blood death knight that is level 85 and i enjoy thrashing my 2H weapon around.

What are the main differences between the two specs?
Frost

- Requires less keybinds
- No permanent pet
- High burst damage
- Less survivability compared to Unholy
- Very easy spec to play
- Damage is more reliant on RnG
- Both DW and 2H are viable

Unholy

- Requires more keybinds for pet management and abilities.
- Permanent pet
- Sustained damage. Burst is somewhat less compared to Frost
- More survivability
- Higher learning curve
- Less reliance on procs
- Only 2H is viable

I personally prefer Unholy as Frost became really boring for me. I didn't want to spam the same abilities over and over.
You can try both specs and see which one suits your playstyle. Since learning Frost doesn't take much time, it will be easy for you to decide what you want to play.
Everything Ghostrider said is accurate.

However, one thing you need to take into account is how LFR distributes loot. If you ever want to try out dual wielding, LFR will not drop 1h weapons for Unholy spec. I personally love Unholy, and would be in it all the time. However, I wanted to try dual wielding, just to see what it's all about, and I ended up liking the DW rotation for frost better much better than the 2H frost rotation. Ultimately, I'll go back to Unholy, but I want the option of DW. So, in order to get the 1H weapons, I have to stay frost when I do LFR.

One more note - it seems to be the general consensus that Unholy really shines at higher gear levels. Until ilvl 502 or higher, both Frost and Unholy are very similar damage wise.
Only thing that matters in PvE is Min/Max, 2h Frost is highest damage spec for us dks, and we're seeing more buffs in 5.3 to compensate for all dk dps specs being bottom 5 in heroic tier 15 content.

This isn't to say I don't enjoy unholy or wouldn't highly recommend trying out unholy, but if you want to be the best you can be, 2h frost is the only choice.

Unholy is the highest dk spec in BiS gear, and at varying other ilvls.
Define viable :P DW is pretty far behind both specs, which sucks because 2H Frost AE damage isn't that hot. If you're doing stuff like Megaera, Horridon, Council, etc, you want that Mastery HB spam... but then again you want to do actual damage against the single target bosses too.

Unholy is just good at getting out damage to any of your targets, and keeping it going if you ever have to run away from something, or switch targets. Then if you can get a Ji'kun trinket, it just gets silly.

edit: this is in 522+ gear, that is.
Only thing that matters in PvE is Min/Max, 2h Frost is highest damage spec for us dks, and we're seeing more buffs in 5.3 to compensate for all dk dps specs being bottom 5 in heroic tier 15 content.

Buffs?

What buffs are we getting in 5.3?
Thankyou everyone for your opinions. I going to start with Unholy and see if I enjoy it.
However, one thing you need to take into account is how LFR distributes loot. If you ever want to try out dual wielding, LFR will not drop 1h weapons for Unholy spec
Holy crap I can't believe I forgot about that.

Guess I'll switch back to frost in hopes of getting a better weapon sometime soon.
good lord, i guess thats what I get for not checking raidbots in a couple weeks. The !@#$ happened to push unholy out THAT much?

People getting more gear, and the fact that any simming done at the start of a new tier is based on a patchwerk style fight. Unless there's been silent buffs to unholy, nothing has changed.

- Requires more keybinds for pet management and abilities.
- Permanent pet
- Sustained damage. Burst is somewhat less compared to Frost
- More survivability
- Higher learning curve
- Less reliance on procs
- Only 2H is viable

When done right Unholy's burst can be equal to if not more than 2h frost's. Unholy also doesn't require micromanaging Timmy for the most part, and you still only have 3 or so "spam" abilities. SS, FS, DC. Doesn't have a higher learning curve either. Also there is only 2h. Period. Saying viable means that there is a DW unholy spec, which there isnt.
-
Frost is managing procs. Unholy is managing resources. Personally I find frost boring as all **** and love unholy, but YMMV. Saying which is more "fun" is a subjective thing, because I also have dk friends who think I am crazy that I play unholy.
2H Frost till around 480+.. 2H Unholy after such (reforged)

at 90 gear lvl..
Unholy since 2009!!!!
If your here to find out which is more fun then I cant tell you that, because when it comes to preference a person could technically find Blood Dps the most fun even though it isn't "viable". If you want to find out whats more fun then go do 3 or more heriocs as each spec with your damage meter off. I don't recommend a training dummy because single target, patchwerk style fights aren't around anymore. You will be in a variety of different situations and you need to find the one you are the most comfortable with. If your looking for what does the "best" dps then here your answer. Both
99.99% of the WoW community don't even understand Simulations/Top parses or what information can be taken from them. Top parses are the result of the RNG God's blessing and Best-in-slot gear, very little can be taken from them. Simulations are estimations of how a class will perform if the player plays it perfectly. There is no such thing as a perfect player (not even people in Blood Legion or DREAM-Paragon). Top players dont look at a simulation and say "well my spec/class is the reason im doing bad dps, time to go play the flavor of the month." They are motivated by seeing their spec at the bottom and take their play to the next level. Pick a spec and stick with it, the more you play it the greater your understanding of it will become, resulting in the "best" damage. So the best spec is the one you enjoy enough that your willing to put the most effort into.
When you decide to stop listening to all "Well X site here shows that Y class/spec does the most dps" and just focus on how you can improve your dps the game becomes alot more fun!