Shadow Raiding Guide - Current for 5.4

Priest
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
HAY GUIZ
04/19/2013 03:29 AMPosted by Woaden
Nope, UVLS

Then you may wish to update your own guide.

Angelic Feather is nigh unusable on self in raids, Unless you're 10 man, then toss up.

This is absolutely not true.

I know you're not my biggest fan, but why dance around it?

Because H2P is more than just a link to your guide.

The thing with SimCraft is I'm really not sure what else to say about it. You're not going to get overall stat weights, that's true, you can still use it for single encounters and I still feel it's a useful thing to have and use.
Then you may wish to update your own guide.

I thought we just had this discussion... anyhow. Sorta how for Blizz Tweets > Patch Notes > Live, for me it is:

Post replies > Shadow tl;dnr > Primer

tl;dnr gets updated daily / weekly as needed while the Primer sees an updated roughly once a month. That is one of many things I need to update in the Primer when I get the time.

Simcraft has its uses for the average user but stat weights simply aren't one of them, would be misleading to state otherwise. I would say that Simcraft currently finds its best use in DPS expectations. Set to proper skill level / ms / fight type it gives a great theoretical maximum to shoot for. Possibly different gear set ups.

You end up seeing a lot of threads like this:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8568890453

This is absolutely not true.

They get stolen *stupid* easy. It almost seems like the game prioritizes others getting them over you sometimes. I've actually never heard of any Spriest using them regularly.

Combined with the added benefit of damage mitigation provided by PW:S and the fire & forget nature even if only 10% of Feathers were stolen... The synergy with GoWS for Heroic progression has been very welcome at the same time. Val stated his love for that new glyph during Method's progression and I have to agree.

I mean it's preference to a degree but I'm interested to see if there are any other Spriests out there using AF that would care to share why they prefer them / how reliably they're able to use them.
REKT
Hello, fresh priest just out of the womb.

So, when I mind flay, do I wait until its channel is over to recast it or spam mindflay as much as possible?

Also, is it worth interrupting mind flay mid channel to cast mind blast?

So, when I mind flay, do I wait until its channel is over to recast it or spam mindflay as much as possible?

Short answer: Recast between the second tick and end of the spell.

Also, is it worth interrupting mind flay mid channel to cast mind blast?

Absolutely. Just finish the current tick of Mind Flay, then interrupt to cast any higher priority spell.
/target Direhorn Spirit
/target Venomous Head
/target Humming Crystal
/cast Shadow Word: Pain
/targetlasttarget

Add this to the macro list please

I can't believe I didn't think to put all of mine in the same macro. :|

I'll add it.

heh, I didnt even think to make them all at the same macro lol. Anyway, my last suggestion is to add /stopcasting on the very top of this macro
There's really no need to. SW:P is on the GCD and the only thing you would benefit from interrupting, Mind Flay, will already be interrupted if you try to use it.
How does shadow DPS compare to others in end game gear?
Warlocks are out of control this expansion (this is a problem with the warlock class, not anyone else) and Fire can be a bit ridiculous, but otherwise Shadow is the best caster DPS, though it may lose to another caster spec on an individual fight. Shadow is definitely good and viable and though some people complain our DPS is low, I'd really attribute that to the ridiculousness of locks or personal skill deficiencies rather than problems with Shadow.
i would have to respectfully disagree with the statement above( skill deficiencies). yes when there is little to no movement in fights yes shadow priest do have great dps but place movement in the fight and well anyone who plays a shadow priest knows your dps suffers. what i would like blizz dev team to come up with is a good dps spell that can be cast while moving or maybe a glyph that would allow a channeling spell to be cast while moving but at reduced damage. warlock can move and cast and well mages are OP right now and they have the same ability.
Having a small discussion with some members in my guild as to why my #s are low. I was, for a lack of better words 'advised', that casting DP w/ 2 SOs filled in with MF:I is better than waiting 5-8secs for another MB to cast DP w/ 3 SOs with MF:I. What do y'all think? Every place I have been, Howtopriest.com, noxxic.com, icy-veins.com, and even here on the WoW forums says the DP should be cast with 3 SOs ONLY!

I am fighting this like Cats and Dogs and basically refuse to cast DP with less than 3 Orbs, but my numbers are low and 'Im wrong' So the question is... DP with 2 Orbs or 3 Orbs?
i would have to respectfully disagree with the statement above( skill deficiencies). yes when there is little to no movement in fights yes shadow priest do have great dps but place movement in the fight and well anyone who plays a shadow priest knows your dps suffers. what i would like blizz dev team to come up with is a good dps spell that can be cast while moving or maybe a glyph that would allow a channeling spell to be cast while moving but at reduced damage. warlock can move and cast and well mages are OP right now and they have the same ability.

Shamans can also move & cast Lightning Bolt regardless of the spec.
Having a small discussion with some members in my guild as to why my #s are low. I was, for a lack of better words 'advised', that casting DP w/ 2 SOs filled in with MF:I is better than waiting 5-8secs for another MB to cast DP w/ 3 SOs with MF:I. What do y'all think? Every place I have been, Howtopriest.com, noxxic.com, icy-veins.com, and even here on the WoW forums says the DP should be cast with 3 SOs ONLY!

I am fighting this like Cats and Dogs and basically refuse to cast DP with less than 3 Orbs, but my numbers are low and 'Im wrong' So the question is... DP with 2 Orbs or 3 Orbs?

3 orbs. Your guild is wrong.
I have a quick question. I just came back from a long break. I just got this priest to 90 two days ago. He has been my alt, but want to consider him as my main now. At this gear level, should I be gemming with maximum haste gems, or are the red intel gems still favored? I have haste on every piece of gear, yet the numbers are low due to item level. Just wondering If I should just go for all out haste as I gear, or stick to what I'm doing. I know that I haven't enchanted a few things and I don't have top of the line gemming, due to knowing I will be constantly be replacing gear for quite a bit. Thanks!
06/11/2013 01:32 PMPosted by Brothaman
At this gear level, should I be gemming with maximum haste gems, or are the red intel gems still favored?

Int and int/x gems until you're around 505. You should still be trying to get haste on every piece of gear, but don't pass on upgrades just because they don't have haste.
I'm just starting to play Shadow and I have 2 questions that aren't necessarily addressed in a straight forward way that I've found.

1. During Insanity I can get 3 casts of Mind flay off but only if i clip the first 2 channels short. Should I be allowing Mind Flay to tick fully before recasting the channel or should I be clipping the channels and losing the last tick or two or Mind Flay to get that 3rd cast in? If I do not clip at all I can only ever get 2 full channels in. I've tried target dummies to test it but result vary so wildly.

2. Is there some item ingame that I can carry with me that will allow me to stack my Shadow Orbs to 3 before a boss pull (aka something i can use indoors, like a target dummie but im not an engineer so anything else?)
06/17/2013 01:38 PMPosted by Tinytails
1. During Insanity I can get 3 casts of Mind flay off but only if i clip the first 2 channels short. Should I be allowing Mind Flay to tick fully before recasting the channel or should I be clipping the channels and losing the last tick or two or Mind Flay to get that 3rd cast in? If I do not clip at all I can only ever get 2 full channels in. I've tried target dummies to test it but result vary so wildly.

When chaining Mind Flay into another Mind Flay, you don't lose ticks. The tick that is currently in progress is continued, with the remaining time on it added to the new cast of Mind Flay. As far as Insanity goes, you want to cast a new one just before DP falls off to get the maximum number of ticks and channel that to its end. Clip Insanity wherever you need to in order to accomplish that.

2. Is there some item ingame that I can carry with me that will allow me to stack my Shadow Orbs to 3 before a boss pull (aka something i can use indoors, like a target dummie but im not an engineer so anything else?)

It's my understanding that the pet reward from Raiding With Leashes II somehow allows you to build orbs. I do not have this pet and have not tested it.
06/17/2013 02:15 PMPosted by Nixxe
The tick that is currently in progress is continued, with the remaining time on it added to the new cast of Mind Flay.

I did not know that, thanks! And i'll look into this pet from this achievement!
Orb generation is the thing that gimps this spec. Even with Divine Inspiration, it is pitiful. If only MB CD was modified by haste. Then DP would have a better, more reliable, uptime and SaI would be more meaningful.