Rets still having issues with surviving?

Paladin
Did he say he was personally vouching for you? From my understanding he's saying it's possible to do what you did without wintrading.

In short, there were A LOT of wintraders last season but Solve wasn't one of them.

Clearly your butt hurt has clouded your ability to read.
Hard counters don't exist anymore really.
And I don't think you realize that offensive pressure = not having to pop deffensives.
IE: the whole warrior class is based around this concept.

DK hard counters Priests

Rogue Hard counters Warlocks (feel my DK does too but w/e)

Hunters hard counter Mages and Rogues

those are some of the actual hard counters that still exist in game.
Hard counters don't exist anymore really.
And I don't think you realize that offensive pressure = not having to pop deffensives.
IE: the whole warrior class is based around this concept.

DK hard counters Priests

Rogue Hard counters Warlocks (feel my DK does too but w/e)

Hunters hard counter Mages and Rogues

those are some of the actual hard counters that still exist in game.

Ret paladin hard counters arms warrior.
04/27/2013 09:53 PMPosted by Lobster
a lesser player is attacking a much better player

^ lol
It's not looking so good for you, Slai, how are you going to counter this

/ᵖᵒᵖᶜᵒʳᶰ
Honestly Vlada I think Solve's attitude is justified here given the ridiculous and empty responses he's received on the topic and the straight-up BS about his achievements.

It's one thing for a less experienced player to have an opinion, it's another thing entirely when a lesser player is attacking a much better player out of pure ignorance... at least I HOPE that's pure ignorance on Slaidrei's part.

When someone has a different opinion than his own, rather than engage in debate and encourage further participation in the conversation, he simply insults their achievements as if that somehow validates his opinion and nullifies theirs. So I decided to bring up his own questionable achievements from last season since that seems to be his biggest concern in WoW. And yes, they are questionable in that they resemble every other confirmed win-trader's achievements.

The fact that he tries to lord over people like he's a 6-time gladiator or something is pretty comical. I checked out his youtube channel and it's safe to say that we're both equally gladiators, which is to say that we're not gladiators at all. We're just above average players at best (which isn't really saying alot considering the average WoW player still turns with their keyboard and uses only a handful of keybinds at most).

And no I'm not a "lesser experienced player" and no I'm not impressed by someone who boasts that they've played WoW for 5 whole years. I played during vanilla and all of TBC and have quit and re-subbed several times between then and now. This is actually the first season since TBC that I've decided to chase Blizzard's 'carrot on a stick'. Maybe I'll get back into arena, maybe I won't. I honestly never found arena gameplay that entertaining or fulfilling compared to BGs. But this in no way means that I'm a "lesser player" in a game as basic as WoW simply because you hold arena achievements in higher regard than myself.

I have the person who symbolizes the paladin forum community vouching for me
04/27/2013 09:53 PMPosted by Lobster
it's another thing entirely when a lesser player is attacking a much better player

Quit roleplaying guys.
On topic:

I find myself highly reliant on my team-mates for survival. That said, combinations that we've been fighting have been choosing to train my hunter more often than not. Otherwise, I just kite and pillar hump with my healer until it's safe to go out again. It's only when I'm in a stun and hard-swapped to that I need a defensive CD.

It'd be great if ret had a more consistent survivability mechanic-- something with a short CD, or a consistent buff. A baseline Sacred Shield with 30k-50k absorb would be nice. If we had something like that, I would have 0 complaints. If we had a version of Angelic Bulwark (I'd have said Cata Sacred Shield, but that shyte was unreliable) on a 45 second ICD, that'd be great. If Seal of Insight gave ~15-20% damage mitigation for ret and only ret, that'd be awesome too.

Anything like that. I think something like that would make us solid. My damage feels balanced at the moment given ret's utility, although we'll see how that feels in 5.3.

Oh, and I'd love a fear break. Not only would it help with our susceptibility to fears/CC in general, but we're paladins. It matches our character.
You just linked his achievements insisting a 200-300pt rating increase in one day was valid proof... That's laughable.

It's laughable to question someone who earned 1.9k and 2k at the exact same time, and then earned 2.1k and 2.2k at the exact same time? All in the same day? /shrug

You know what really isn't impressive? Players who think vanilla experience matters. The game has changed so much since vanilla that your experiences 8 years ago are scarcely relevant today

You misunderstood. He was boasting about playing for 5 years and my response is "Why are you responding to me by boasting that you've been playing for 5 years? I've played since vanilla..." I actually don't think it's impressive either, which was my point.

04/28/2013 01:03 AMPosted by Lobster
but you literally do not have the PVP experience Solve does because you have not participated since TBC.

Nor does he have the same experience as myself. And do you honestly think it takes longer than 1 expansion to grasp the concept of team deathmatch? I mean has it really changed all that much since TBC? Your team faces off against another team, and the first team to land a kill wins the match (short of a major derp meltdown)? Arenas are just boring to me. Every map has the same objective - kill one of them before they kill one of you. I find battlegrounds more fulfilling /shrug

I'm afraid random BGs just aren't an equivalent proving ground to rated play (it's fine if you prefer them though - I like them too).

I would do RBGs but it seems I picked the wrong class to level up for MoP. The last time I tried to find an RBG group, I spent upwards of two hours in multiple queues on that !@#$ty 'oQueue' addon, and once I was invited I was immediately removed from the group for being a ret paladin. If that's the kind of fun I can expect to have doing RBGs, no thanks. I'll stick to solo queuing normal BGs because, for me, BGs > arena and getting into RBGs seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Perhaps if you were really at the same level as Solve, as you insist, you'd have something relevant to say about the topic. Opinion?

Make Divine Protection usable while CC'd and Devotion Aura clear silences. They could also reduce the timer on forbearance to 30 seconds (though I doubt that will happen any time soon). I would take those three things over a damage buff though, personally.
I'm the same person I was in Cata.Not my problem if people saying I wintraded gets me a bit annoyed.

I wasnt 100% refering to this thread. It was all threads in general recently and you made that comment before anyone even accused you of wintrading

I have the person who symbolizes the paladin forum community vouching for me

Ok i really loled at this a bit melodramatic don't ya think? I wondered if you actually had a straight face when you typed this.

That's like saying an FC doesn't deserve his rating gain because all he did was defend a node uncontested during a particular game.

I really don't see how thats related . FC is a tank you're a dps and one that brings almost nothing to RBGS.

Im not 100% sayin you wintraded it could be a free carry. Most rets who achieved 2200 in rbgs are not fully legitimate usually thanks to friends or being part of a top-end guild like "hey im mvp" or "Suit up"

which usually look something like Grunt -> General in 1-2 days because that's what people pay for

Those are the super duper obvious ones. Ok heres a test

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/tichondrius/Fulltrapbro/achievement#95:15092

is this guy a wintrader? Looks similar to solvexx doesnt he?

The answer is yes. He's actually a very well-known wintrader on tichondrius.

Ok how about this guy?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/tichondrius/Thugglol/achievement#95:15092

2200 arena? He cant be a wintrader? In reality Thugglol is a very infamous 2800 wintrader on tich that got hero unfairly last season

If you really believe that 300 rating is always nothing. I might as well buy one too cuz no1 will know

I'm not sure you understand how rating is acquired, particularly the rate at which it's acquired through RBGs. In your mind I must have wintraded all my RBG achievements last expansion too. =/

lets be honest here no1 sells carries/wintrades to 2000. And rated bg wintrade didnt exist in cata. Its obvious u didnt lobster and that other dude majin

You wouldnt have reached that far in "2 days" without your guildies
In your mind I must have wintraded all my RBG achievements last expansion too. =/

Why would anyone win-trade 2k rating?

04/28/2013 03:03 AMPosted by Lobster
Solve is in fact a better player

If you want to believe one person you don't know is a better gamer than another person you don't know, that's fine lol. I started playing PvP MMOs 15 years ago when I was 10, so I'm all done flexing my e-peen at this stage of the game. 15 years of playing MMOs has given my e-peen the equivalent of erectile disfunction.

Battlegrounds are still about killing the other team. You just do so in a roundabout way with arbitrary objectives that many players ignore anyway.

Many players ignore the objectives because all they know is arena. Most people don't take battlegrounds seriously anymore which is such a shame. WSG and AB are far and away the most enjoyable thing about this game for me and it's been that way since they first came out.

BGs are similar to arena, but I think you have it backwards. Arenas are simply one, small isolated aspect of BGs. Every BG is filled with multiple arena-esque skirmishes, but they also include an overarching objective that you have to keep in your mind's eye on top of the 3v3 or 4v4 or w/e you're fighting at any given moment. You have to make decisions in BGs that you wouldn't otherwise make in arenas - like noticing mid-fight that a base is about to be zerged, and then leaving said fight to help defend against said zerg. So many players only really know arena, so you see things like 6 players fighting 2 players at LM while 3 of their teammates try to defend farm against a zerg of 8. A few of those players at LM could try to reinforce farm in time, or just quickly go to wherever the the zerg came from and cap that base. But so many of them are oblivious to BG objectives, so they stay to finish off that last pesky healer and end up just getting 4 capped and turtling at LM for no particular reason lol.

As for team queuing taking more skill than solo queuing. Would you say it takes more skill for 3 group queued people to beat 3 other group queued people than it takes for 4-5 geared puggers to carry 5-6 fresh 90s/keyboard turners to victory over a premade using voip? You're not always going to beat the premades but you can have a hell of alot of fun solo queuing into them.

It's not about wrecking fresh 90s and chasing bots like it is in random BGs. You're not improving as a player that way (though it is fun lol).

It sounds like you group queue randoms too much. The last time I queued with a 5-man group we went something stupid like 25-0 over the course of several hours and often spent more time in queue than the BG itself. Not really that enjoyable outside of the conversation.
It's fine if you prefer random BGs for fun

I prefer to play video games for fun. It's why I finally decided to bite the bullet and give in to blizzard's demand that you have to grind gear in order to have fun playing their game. I missed Slaisong Gulch and Slairathi Basin too much. I just enjoy BGs more than arenas and if I ever found a group of chill people who felt the same and didn't hate ret paladins, I might actually be able to try out RBGs one day. Until then, I'll keep solo queuing normal BGs and maybe even give in and do 2s again for quicker caps.
Oh, and I'd love a fear break. Not only would it help with our susceptibility to fears/CC in general, but we're paladins. It matches our character.
\

Holinka on twitter is considering giving back Ret's fear reduction passive back or at least something similar
That's why bots are so prevalent, because even robots can PVP in a BG.

PvP bots exist because BGs give tangible rewards for losing and for no other reason. If PvP gear was normalized and honor and conquest were removed, bots would no longer exist in end-game BGs. But most people, for some reason, prefer that their PvP include a PvE gear progression system.

04/28/2013 05:44 AMPosted by Lobster
Of the majority of players familiar with random BGs, extremely few venture into arena.

Almost every PvPer I've ever met in WoW does both arenas and normal BGs. Not sure where you're getting that from.

Grats, you outgeared someone. Grats, you outnumbered someone. Grats, you killed a robot.

Dat condescension

No, many players ignore the objectives because they don't care. They queue for BGs to kill people, not specifically to grind honor or to win. I'm one of those people lol.

Dem strats

Yes, because your teammates are facing equally skilled opponents on equal ground. In a random BG you are never on equal ground

Dat hyperbole

Outnumbering your opponents in a random BG doesn't mean much

I blacklisted the 10v15 maps a long time ago, bro.

04/28/2013 05:44 AMPosted by Lobster
Random BGs exist today primarily for farming honor. When you don't need honor anymore, they're for killing people.

Source, please. All this time I've been playing BGs to win - that's not against Blizzard's ToS is it?

That's fine. For some players, improvement is also fun.

I heard you can only improve in WoW by doing 3v3 arena.
What a waste of a thread.

This is why Blizzard blues dont' visit class forums anymore.

Jesus christ, guys. Get it together.
toasting in epic bread, let's see some results
/popcorn to the outcome of this thread

duddeeeeeeeeeeee