Advice needed for Ret Raiding (With Logs!)

Paladin
Hello everyone! This is my second week of dipping my feet into Throne of Thunder on Normal mode (10 man) and I was needing advice from more seasoned raiding rets on what I can do to improve my game some for the boss fights :)

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-58tkd1alb5p2dgbt/sum/damageDone/

Side-Note: I did ToT last week all the way up to Ji'Kun, (only got one attempt at him) but this is before my 2pc for t15 was involved.

But yeah, I would love some tips to up my overall damage on the boss fights :)
I didn't look at every single fight, but here are some suggestions/tips based on the logs I did look at.

I don't recommend taking DP really, it falls behind pretty much everywhere. It looks like you are taking SW for the majority, however, HA/SW will yield higher performance on every single fight.

You're refreshing Inquisition too early on many fights. You have high uptime on the maintenance buff, but at the rate you are doing it, you are losing dps.
It's generally accepted to refresh Inq with less than 2 seconds

You're generally losing out on 1-2 uses of Avenging Wrath over the course of the fight, which is a pretty big dps loss.

Spell use goes against the norm in some cases, HotR/DS could be higher on Horridon, but this may go against how you approach the fight / what the raid leader wants.

Otherwise, I recommend getting a crit enchant on cloak, dancing steel on weapon, haste enchant on boots. PoJ is generally the recommended rule for switching the boot enchant, but you "can" get by with Long Arm.

Really though, nothing major, you just need more gear. The little things do add up though
Top world ranking ret here. Do you track inquisition buff somehow? I use weakauras, increased my inquisition efficiency dramatically. I also track trinket and dps cooldowns usage and cooldown.
Agree with no dp unless heavy aoe fight/inability to wings+guardian twice. Rets are big on cd management - plan it. Assume you have stat priority/ rotation priority down from websites like elitistjerks else go read up.

Ask Mr Robot for min max ing tool if you dont simcraft yourself. (simcrafts for you)

My biggest advice to any dps wanting to up their numbers is to make sure you have your priority rotation down pat, and then focus on never messing up a single global cool down. If youre doing 140k damage, and you miss a global, or waste hp refreshing inq too early, or miss four gcds because you werent in an optimal position or didnt anticipate boss movement/where to go, you are throwing away large amounts of damage.
Top world ranking ret here. Do you track inquisition buff somehow? I use weakauras, increased my inquisition efficiency dramatically. I also track trinket and dps cooldowns usage and cooldown.
Agree with no dp unless heavy aoe fight/inability to wings+guardian twice. Rets are big on cd management - plan it. Assume you have stat priority/ rotation priority down from websites like elitistjerks else go read up.

Ask Mr Robot for min max ing tool if you dont simcraft yourself. (simcrafts for you)

My biggest advice to any dps wanting to up their numbers is to make sure you have your priority rotation down pat, and then focus on never messing up a single global cool down. If youre doing 140k damage, and you miss a global, or waste hp refreshing inq too early, or miss four gcds because you werent in an optimal position or didnt anticipate boss movement/where to go, you are throwing away large amounts of damage.

Askmrrobot person here!

As for DP, mostly was used during trash with light's hammer / horridon where I knew a few extra divine storms could help with AoE.

I use WeakAura's for Inq (not the ICD on trinkets though >.<) and I usually do it around 3 seconds, but most of it was running from door to door and just having it ready early.

I am going to try out Holy Avenger with Wings tonight on Magerra since I can use my CD's almost every other head. :)
I am going to try out Holy Avenger with Wings tonight on Magerra since I can use my CD's almost every other head. :)
Holy avenger in its current form is nowhere near as good as SW for Ret. It's debatable in aoe situations that it might be useful but i so far have found zero use for it.
04/24/2013 09:30 PMPosted by Blurble
Holy avenger in its current form is nowhere near as good as SW for Ret. It's debatable in aoe situations that it might be useful but i so far have found zero use for it.

Yeah, definitely felt weird as Ret. :(

SW is great, and I started to refresh inq only at 0-2 seconds (changed my filters around) and DPS seems more consistent.

Got Dancing Steel again, so hopefully now the burst will be much higher than what I had to make due with via Windsong xD
04/24/2013 09:30 PMPosted by Blurble

Based on what information?

The dps difference is very small (~500 - 1000dps). Both SW/HA are viable... HA is better for AoE situations, because you can spam DS more effectively.