Boomkins Seem Good For PvP

Druid
We still have the Eclipse Bar. That is all that needs to be said.
boomys still take high dps. they have more kiteing and heals but they still get burst down quick.
I have nothing to contribute to the thread but I just had to send a /wave to Hrothegar. It's nice to see you again.
Yeah, they're fine in 1800 RBGs. Any class is fine at that bracket.

But when your team starts pushing rating in RBGs, and realizes that class comp actually does matter (assuming you guys aren't 2400/gladiator material players), you will lose your boomy spot to another lock. Understand that this is not a dig at you, Creamo, since you clearly know what you are doing (assuming you didn't pay for that 2200 3's rating).

Boomkin damage is doing fine at the moment, but most intelligent teams realize that 50-60% of a boomy's damage comes from aoe dots. Unfortunately, aoe dots doesn't get you killing blows, burst does, and that's where boomies are very lacking, relying on a burst based on a proc with no execute. Without that OP beam, there's no reason why an equally geared/skilled lock will be much more helpful to your team than what you would bring minus OP beam.

Good boomies will still have a RBG spot, at least until an equally skilled/geared lock comes along that can do everything they do, only better.
Now that they nerfed mass grip to only affect 4 targets, can we get our radius back on beam?

Solar Beam is only OP to idiots that like to stack up on top of each other. There's probably a good reason why you don't see anyone crying about how OP solar beam is in arenas.
Don't like it myself. I was 2500-rated in 2s in BC on my balance druid and find things to be much, much worse. There are new toys, but I feel I lack the on-demand burst and raw damage output I used to have. I can kite forever, but what Moonkin lacks is a sense of urgency other classes have. When the time comes to make a target switch or burst down a target, you can't really do a lot to help out with that. That, and it's very easy to get gibbed instantly by any spec with high burst. :/

We have a lot of other strengths so it seems balanced, but to me that's the one weakness as a caster you really don't want to have.

Frankly, destro locks are improved moonkins. Better burst, better self-healing (this one really hurts), better control, better team utility, resilient pets.

Machine gun wraths, the cornerstone of Moonkin damage, is gone. I also personally hate managing Eclipse. It's like, "here's this thing you didn't used to have to do, and now you do, and there's no real benefit to its addition except we can say you use all of your moves now."

In order for me to come back to Moonkin PvP, I'd want more reliable ways of bursting down priority targets at opportune times (even if it's on a 1 minute cd or something) and either the death of eclipse or an overhaul to how it functions.
Oh, I also want to say I'm glad, despite my above post, that Solar Beam/Vortex is going away. Moonkin PvP has classically only been good when making use of a gimmick like Starfall cheesing stealth, rocket boots with a disc priest, or Solar Beam silencing the world. That's not what we need: we need thoughtful, solid, unique mechanics that set us apart from resto druids and other damage specs, not one-shot, overpowered gimmicks like Vortex/Beam.

The biggest problem with Moonkins in PvP IMO has always been that either mages/warlocks or resto druids bring everything we bring and they do it better. Ranged DPS caster is a very crowded design space and talents are accessible to every druid, and solar beam just isn't enough when it's a balanced spell (like it will be in 5.3).

Moonkin abilities are usually, literally copy-paste versions of other caster moves with additional restrictions or longer cooldowns, or abilities accessible by other druids.
And to top it off we have the worst CC for a caster.

Bahaha. Of all the things to complain about... you b!tch about CCs!? Really? Learn to play.

Boomy has some of the best CC in the game, and the only spammable CC that cannot be dispelled.
Now that they nerfed mass grip to only affect 4 targets, can we get our radius back on beam?

Solar Beam is only OP to idiots that like to stack up on top of each other. There's probably a good reason why you don't see anyone crying about how OP solar beam is in arenas.

did you necro two threads with the exact same post?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8569308320?page=2
Boomkins are under represented in arenas, and it isn't because of lack of people trying. If you are ok with being trumped by other classes then go ahead and play moonkin, they are fun after all. But if rating and progressing is your goal then choose a different path
Oh, I also want to say I'm glad, despite my above post, that Solar Beam/Vortex is going away. Moonkin PvP has classically only been good when making use of a gimmick like Starfall cheesing stealth, rocket boots with a disc priest, or Solar Beam silencing the world. That's not what we need: we need thoughtful, solid, unique mechanics that set us apart from resto druids and other damage specs, not one-shot, overpowered gimmicks like Vortex/Beam.

The biggest problem with Moonkins in PvP IMO has always been that either mages/warlocks or resto druids bring everything we bring and they do it better. Ranged DPS caster is a very crowded design space and talents are accessible to every druid, and solar beam just isn't enough when it's a balanced spell (like it will be in 5.3).

Moonkin abilities are usually, literally copy-paste versions of other caster moves with additional restrictions or longer cooldowns, or abilities accessible by other druids.

Solarbeam vortex will still be very viable in rbgs. Being able to aoe lockdown players for 5 seconds once a minute is incredible. And we still have better overall damage and burst than a destro lock, and also great aoe pressure combined with amazing offheals is too much to pass up in an rbg.

I guarantee you top rbgs teams will still be running with moonkins next patch. Sure, its always amazing to have a warlock as well but face the facts that if i came down to a last slot in an rbg and it was between lock and boomkin the pick would be moonkin by a landslide.

Rbgs are our only strong spot though, unlike destros who can excel in 2s, 3s, and 5s.

Played correctly boomkins can do well in arenas but require a ton more skillcap.
^ Yeah.... no.

5 seconds of silence is what most teams with non-retarded hpals have to deal with in the current "OP radius" beam. Yeah, there will be idiots who eat the full 8 second silence, but that's usually the fault of their clueless hpal or the fact that they were backpedaling away from the beam.

Also, locks aren't much better off than boomkins in 2s and 3s. They are both in a pretty bad spot when compared to hunters, spriests, mages, rogues, and dks. Thankfully most of those classes are eating nerfs, some pretty major, although mages managed to evade the nerf bat once again.

It's a monumental failure on Blizzard's end to somehow come to the conclusion that nerfing solar beam radius was a bigger priority than nerfing mages.

In order for me to come back to Moonkin PvP, I'd want more reliable ways of bursting down priority targets at opportune times (even if it's on a 1 minute cd or something) and either the death of eclipse or an overhaul to how it functions.

changing to balance druid;
upon entering eclipse you gain natures grace increasing your haste by 15% for 15 sec and giving us 35% of our max mana,
(new stuff) when natures grace is triggerd we gain Celestial Aliginment for 15 sec.

Modifying Eclipse
Solar Eclipse;
When you reach 100 Solar Energy you will trigger a Solar Eclipse, increasing all Nature damage done by 15%. *Added effect* Also increase your haste by your mastery

Lunar Eclipse;
When you reach 100 Lunar Energy you will trigger a Lunar Eclipse, increasing all Arcane damage done by 15% and transforming your Hurricane spell into Astral Storm.
*Added effect* Also increase your Crit by your mastery

When triggered, both Lunar and Solar Eclipse grant 15% spell haste for 15 sec and energize you for 35% of your maximum mana.

Modifying Mastery: Total Eclipse

Increases the bonus damage from Eclipse by 15%.
When you cast Sunfire or Moonfire you have a 20% chance to cast an instant free critical Wrath or Starfire each point of mastery increase your damage by 2% and your proc chance by 1%
After the PTR PVP wise boomys will be dead in arena and RBGs if the solar beam nerf goes in, hardly see them in arena as it is..... The new solar beam is more responsive and is 60% the size of Ursols vortex around, Because they can sit outside of solarbeam without getting pulled in by vortex next patch because solarbeam is so small, we will have to run stun or something, either way im maining my hunter, cbf sitting a whole season with a useless main with arena driven flavor of the month.

I've run into a couple situations of being gibbed by Mages, Death Knights and Hunters, (2s so whatever)

I've run into a couple situations of being demolished by Mages, DK's, Hunters, Warlocks, Warriors, Spriests, Feral druids, WW monks, Ele / Enh shaman, Ret pallies....

But this one time, i came up against another moonkin, and i was winning, but then a mage counterspelled me deep froze me and spammed ice lance until i crumbled

LOL This oddly mirrors my experience with boomie :P

Most classes can get out of current vortex/beam in 5 seconds or less. It gets even easier to deal with if you have a non-retarded hpal. The radius nerf to beam will really cripple it, and make the 1 min cooldown on beam very unreasonable.
bump
Im a purely rbg player mind you, Im not a fan of arenas. that being said, I am consistently topping the charts in damage in my rbg team, and a well timed solar beam spells doom for healers. its not about using it whenever, cooldown usage is very important! I think we are in a good place right now, and we have so many options on what to do in different situations I do not see myself changing main specs any time soon.
In rbgs, boomkins are just another shadow priest spreading their DoTs for aoe pressure.
Once your TC calls out the kill target, you pop all your cds on that said target & use solarbeam/vortex on the KC at around 50% health.

since solarbeam is being nerfed in 5.3, you wont being seeing much of them since Ring of Peace is becoming the new Solarbeam with a huge radius.

Ring of Peace will instantly silence all players within the Ring for 3 seconds. Not only that, MW monks can't die. Therefore, we have no problem having our Dk gorefriend grasp their team to us, have our frost mage Frost nova them, Ill pop RoP and a druid put vortex blow me. Same thing, but better.

Now imagine, me (RoP) boomkin (solar/vortex) & ele sham (solar symbiosis/earth totem/capacitator totem) . GG