5.3 Druid Suggestions

Druid
Hey all. I've been peeking around at the upcoming patch notes for 5.3, and wanted to know what all the Druids out there think of it so far. Do you guys like it, love it, or hate it? What would you change? What would you keep? Make sure to give some supporting reasons! I'd love to hear your opinions.

Personally, I think the Druid changes are very nice so far. I'm very happy to know Savage Roar is getting a buff, and I also like the new Glyph of Omens idea, even though I'll miss my 100% radius increase of Solar Beam.

One main thing I'd like to address about the upcoming changes is the 3-minute wait on Druid cooldowns. Yes, I know, Incarnation is very effective and can help us throw out insane amounts of damage, but a lot of other melees have shorter cooldowns than us, especially Death Knights. They can burst 3 times in 3 minutes while we can only burst once. Paladin's have a much lower cooldown on Avenging Wrath, etc, than we do on Incarnatiion. What do you guys think of this as well? Do you think Druids deserve shorter cooldowns?

Please feel free to share your thoughts! We may even encourage some awesome new changes, thank you everyone!
I find feral dps to lack, but I can't complain about the recent cooldown reduction to nature's vigil. I personally wish I had a bit more burst dps in my feral rotation, maybe have ferocious bite refresh our rip dot no matter what instead of just at 25%. It's pointless to keep a dot up anyway when a target is about to die.
IMO - to "fix" feral would require major changes. I don't care about lack of burst because I don't feel we have a lack of it. Once every three minutes we can put out insane damage, ask any flag carrier (and this extends to pve as well). What I'd like to see "fixed" for feral is the scaling issues we've had for... what 3 expansions now? IMO the only way to do that is to put some kind of "attack power" or "weapon damage" on gear rather than on the weapon, which would transfer a good portion of our gear upgrade dps over to actual gear rather than being almost totally dependent on a weapon upgrade to increase our dps.

The only other major change I'd like to see personally is to make Frenzied Regeneration a 50/50 heal absorb, and make the heal work like Cenarion Ward so that we can use it proactively, rather than re-actively.
In addition to that, because I'm O.C.D. about this, maybe we could have Lacerate stacks increase the heal/absorb by a small % per stack. I don't really understand why they left in stacks of Lacerate.

Of course there are some utility things I'd like to see done but others have already taken up the call for those (Innervate for Guardians for example).
I really liked the posts you two submitted, thank you!

maybe have ferocious bite refresh our rip dot no matter what instead of just at 25%. It's pointless to keep a dot up anyway when a target is about to die.

I agree with what you said, Akaviri. I usually don't need to redot someone when they're at 25%...I'm too busy spamming Shred or whatever I can to kill them! It would be very nice for Ferocious Bite to refresh our Rip duration, but maybe to a limited extent so it doesn't become too out of control.

IMO the only way to do that is to put some kind of "attack power" or "weapon damage" on gear rather than on the weapon, which would transfer a good portion of our gear upgrade dps over to actual gear rather than being almost totally dependent on a weapon upgrade to increase our dps.

This idea caught my attention, Jaymz, but I'm not too sure if I understand what you mean. Ferals love, love, love agility! It gives us Crit and Attack Power, if in Cat Form, so I'm a little confused on your damage idea, but I do wish Ferals had more weapon damage. Yes, I am aware that our attacks do 2-5x the amount of our weapon damage, but it's still awfully dreadful to have 14k damage. Most other melee classes have 18-25k damage and their abilities do the same 200% weapon damage etc, and they hit like trucks!

One idea that I had was to buff Skull Bash somehow. Let's say if we successfully interrupt a spell, healing done to that target is reduced by 25% for 10 seconds, even if the cooldown on Skull Bash is raised 1-2 seconds, it would be a very cool new boost to have for our interrupt—especially since so many classes have spells that protect them from being interrupted or silenced.

Please let me know what you guys think, and thank you Akaviri and Jaymz!
Im looking forward to the Swiftmend and Mushroom buffs, I wont lie!

I swear I saw something about Treants getting a buff and casting it as well, and if that stacks with the wider radius and T15 2pc bonus, I might actually use that talent outside of LFR. I love treants for LFR =3
Hi, Starrydance! I'm looking forward to the Swiftmend and Mushroom buffs as well!

swear I saw something about Treants getting a buff and casting it as well

You know what, I think you're right! I swear I saw something like this too, but I can't find it anymore! Oh, just found it! Yay for opening an additional tab:

Restoration version of the Treant now casts Swiftmend on the Druid's target when summoned. This version of Swiftmend does not require or consume a heal-over-time effect on the target.

I think this is what you were talking about! I really hope this new Swiftmend affect will be as useful as the actual one casted by the Druid, since Treants have been useless all throughout MoP—no offense trees!

All-in-all, I must say I'm very impressed with the Druid 5.3 patch notes, and I love all of the comments on this thread, even if it's just three replies! Thank you all so much for responding, and I hope the Swiftmend and Mushrooms work out well, Starrydance!
Hi, Starrydance! I'm looking forward to the Swiftmend and Mushroom buffs as well!

swear I saw something about Treants getting a buff and casting it as well

You know what, I think you're right! I swear I saw something like this too, but I can't find it anymore! Oh, just found it! Yay for opening an additional tab:

Restoration version of the Treant now casts Swiftmend on the Druid's target when summoned. This version of Swiftmend does not require or consume a heal-over-time effect on the target.

I think this is what you were talking about! I really hope this new Swiftmend affect will be as useful as the actual one casted by the Druid, since Treants have been useless all throughout MoP—no offense trees!

All-in-all, I must say I'm very impressed with the Druid 5.3 patch notes, and I love all of the comments on this thread, even if it's just three replies! Thank you all so much for responding, and I hope the Swiftmend and Mushrooms work out well, Starrydance!

I want swiftmend Treants! If for no other reason than sheer fun. I can certainly imagine some stacked fights that those could be really sweet for.
As balance: The "hate it" would have to be the solar beam changes. That's an immense nuke to our PvP utility in rated battle grounds. Granted, I think we'll still have our niche in rated bgs, but it really pains me to see it go.

Glyph of omens isn't enough to fill the gap left by solar beam, but it's a nice mechanic that I look forward to testing.

What I most look forward to is Treants. I don't really like incarnation, particularly in pvp because it's so reliant on hard casting and is only active during an eclipse. The new Treants will be stronger, and much more user-friendly.

From what I understand we'll have 3 charges of treants, and we can summon them 1 by 1 as they fixate to our current target, with charges renewing every 20 seconds. Additionally, they cast entangling roots when summoned on the target. That is AWESOME for boomkin vs melee, and will add to our suvivability.
While I agree that treants with swiftmend would be awesome, there is no garuntee that they will also put down the ground healing effect as well with said swiftmend. There is no garuntee that it will. If the treants swiftmend does, it will definitly be the talent i would take, but if it doesnt, then it'll be another toss up. Plus without being able to controll it or know what it is doing, i don't know how much I'm gonna like the treant.
Additionally, they cast entangling roots when summoned on the target

This is awesome.

And I like the swiftmend for restos. I'm assuming they will target like wild growth. Be on players with the lowest health.
Yay, more responses!

As balance: The "hate it" would have to be the solar beam changes. That's an immense nuke to our PvP utility in rated battle grounds. Granted, I think we'll still have our niche in rated bgs, but it really pains me to see it go.

Glyph of omens isn't enough to fill the gap left by solar beam, but it's a nice mechanic that I look forward to testing.

I agree to your thoughts on the Solar Beam changes, Andrew. I absolutely love having a bonus 100% radius, it completely locks down my target and is a fantastic tool to have, so I'm quite worried about replacing the glyph. However, I am very curious to try out Glyph of Omens, but I am still very fearful that it will be a severe downgrade.

What I most look forward to is Treants. I don't really like incarnation, particularly in pvp because it's so reliant on hard casting and is only active during an eclipse. The new Treants will be stronger, and much more user-friendly.

From what I understand we'll have 3 charges of treants, and we can summon them 1 by 1 as they fixate to our current target, with charges renewing every 20 seconds. Additionally, they cast entangling roots when summoned on the target. That is AWESOME for boomkin vs melee, and will add to our survivability.

Treants, treants, treants! They've been pretty useless throughout MoP (no offense once again trees), so I think it's about time they've gotten a big buff, but I'm still not sure I'd be willing to give up Incarnation for it (just my play style though!). I believe the three charges of Treants you mentioned can be useful, but that also brings up the question: Will one Treant be enough? Or do I need all three summoned at the same time to even put a dent in people? We'll just have to see!

While I agree that treants with swiftmend would be awesome, there is no garuntee that they will also put down the ground healing effect as well with said swiftmend. There is no garuntee that it will. If the treants swiftmend does, it will definitly be the talent i would take, but if it doesnt, then it'll be another toss up. Plus without being able to controll it or know what it is doing, i don't know how much I'm gonna like the treant.

You basically just summarized my whole opinion on the matter, Druidbaz! I'm looking forward to experimenting with the new changes, but there's no telling whether they will be a major bonus or a major disaster.

This is awesome.

And I like the swiftmend for restos. I'm assuming they will target like wild growth. Be on players with the lowest health.

That would certainly be very useful, Stiggy! I just hope it's enough to replace Incarnation.

I'm really loving all of the opinions being shared on this thread. Thank you so much to everyone who has responses, latest shoutouts go to you, Andrew, Druidbaz, and Stiggy! Thanks!
at the general changes:
Mark cost reduction, I still won't recast it when a monk in raid can do it without burning 2 GCD's to do it... unless we have no monks on or in the group at the time.

symb: intim roar, well at least one spec had a fear, it's sad to see it bumped up on CD though.

tranq affecting 12 targets, is nice for me in a 25M guild/raid, as before this change, it literally wasn't even enough to "equal" 1 tick of heroic Iron Qon Fist Smash, for spending 6-8 seconds channeling it. Maybe now it'll be worth a smudge over 1 tick until he gets more than 6 stacks of Rising Anger.

Treants... still won't use them, ever, at all. Resto ones doing a Swiftmend Bomb could be interesting, but their special abilities for each other spec is still pooptastic.

Glyph stuff, it affects Balance, so I guess yippee for them using non-damaging stuff for eclipse power?

Solar Beam, again I'm not balance, but I guess it's nice it's getting it's responsiveness upgraded.

Feral, yay, basically a 10% direct buff to damage! I just wish they'd fix the root cause being our scaling, instead of slapping a bandaid on it that they'll probably just take away again at the next expac.

Resto stuff - it's all good, although my raid team has been lacking a resto druid since 5.2 landed, so I likely won't see any of the changes there at all. Lacking not for non-desireability, but we just can't find one =(

as far as suggestions go:
Feral needs a reason other than RPPM to get haste. The return on energy gain is paltry, and extra white hits aren't that useful with more and more of our damage coming from bleeds. I'd say increase the benefit from haste to energy gen, so there is at least the option to go and get GCD capped -- or otherwise, remove haste from affecting RPPM trinkets for everyone (guess which one would be easier to balance).

Feral highly needs either true cleave, or a baked in redirect/soulswap. Thrash we only really use if there's a lot of targets, or OoC procs, otherwise we're reduced to double-dotting and managing combo points on 2 targets. It's already a pain enough to manage the CP with 1 target, and we're the only melee without a primary target + secondary nearby target ability (it's either all single target, or all AoE; no middle ground). Even Monks got Storm Earth and Fire to be their cleave.

I worry about Rune of Reorigination when it comes to 5.4 raid loot. Basically unless something can provide a burst of 20k-30k Mastery, we'll likely stick with Rune until they nerf it into the ground to force us to take the 5.4//6.0 loot.
I love your xmog starrydance.
Ferals love, love, love agility! It gives us Crit and Attack Power, if in Cat Form, so I'm a little confused on your damage idea, but I do wish Ferals had more weapon damage. Yes, I am aware that our attacks do 2-5x the amount of our weapon damage, but it's still awfully dreadful to have 14k damage. Most other melee classes have 18-25k damage and their abilities do the same 200% weapon damage etc, and they hit like trucks!

I think you misunderstood me. Currently Feral is FAR too dependent on getting a weapon upgrade to see a major increase in Damage done. My suggestion would be to reduce that multiplier you mention and THEN add to our normal gear (chest, legs, gloves, etc) a "feral attack power" equivalent. This would allow us to slowly upgrade our damage as we slowly upgrade our gear. Rather than getting a huge massive damage up with our weapon and then very very small increases with gear. --- This could be accomplished by many ways however (for example the AP from agility could simply be increased, though Blizz has said they don't like that idea).

Regardless how it's accomplished I continually hope that Blizz will one day work out Feral scaling issues and stop applying band-aid fixes every patch (which is what I consider this recent buff to Savage Roar).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As to your Skull Bash idea (for Feral at least) it already increases the mana cost of the person interrupted for 10sec. --- all in all I like SB like it is personally.
Feral needs a reason other than RPPM to get haste. The return on energy gain is paltry, and extra white hits aren't that useful with more and more of our damage coming from bleeds. I'd say increase the benefit from haste to energy gen, so there is at least the option to go and get GCD capped -- or otherwise, remove haste from affecting RPPM trinkets for everyone (guess which one would be easier to balance).

Feral highly needs either true cleave, or a baked in redirect/soulswap. Thrash we only really use if there's a lot of targets, or OoC procs, otherwise we're reduced to double-dotting and managing combo points on 2 targets. It's already a pain enough to manage the CP with 1 target, and we're the only melee without a primary target + secondary nearby target ability (it's either all single target, or all AoE; no middle ground). Even Monks got Storm Earth and Fire to be their cleave.

I worry about Rune of Reorigination when it comes to 5.4 raid loot. Basically unless something can provide a burst of 20k-30k Mastery, we'll likely stick with Rune until they nerf it into the ground to force us to take the 5.4//6.0 loot.

I agree and disagree with you here.
I don't think Feral needs a reason to get haste any more than we have, atm. I agree it would be nice, but don't see it as nescessary.
In short I don't want to be a Rogue, that's why I play a Feral. It's too close already, imo.
I also don't like the RPPM, Feral is the least helped by this new proc style, of any spec in the game. You could almost say the same for Heroism/Bloodlust, but I think warriors have it worse than us by a small margin. Either way it would be a nice QoL change to fix these issues. However I am unsure as to how, since I have put very little if any thought into it, yet.

I understand and agree with your worry about Rune, however I don't expect Blizz to "ignore" it, like so many other issues.

I definitely agree on the "cleave" issue though. While we have, hands down, THE best AoE in game when using Heart of the Wild. And possibly the 3rd or 4th best when spamming Thrash+Swipe during Berserk. We lack totally outside of those 2 cooldowns. I would love to see that fixed. Maybe make Swipe cost less (half?) energy if your current target has a bleed (or two?) on it.
Hi again, everyone! It's awesome to see more replies; thank you so much for all the ideas and conversation!

Adramelk! I absolutely loved all of your ideas to change things, it gave me a pretty different perspective on Feral, even if I'm not too concerned about haste, probably because I'm hopeless at PvE and only dare to PvP! Regardless, I agree that Ferals don't benefit from haste in the way that we should, I would much rather have the energy regeneration boost as you mentioned or something to assist bleed damage (I guess I should shut up and reforge mastery then, huh?).

I love your xmog starrydance.

I have to agree, I love the purple bits!

Ferals love, love, love agility! It gives us Crit and Attack Power, if in Cat Form, so I'm a little confused on your damage idea, but I do wish Ferals had more weapon damage. Yes, I am aware that our attacks do 2-5x the amount of our weapon damage, but it's still awfully dreadful to have 14k damage. Most other melee classes have 18-25k damage and their abilities do the same 200% weapon damage etc, and they hit like trucks!

I think you misunderstood me. Currently Feral is FAR too dependent on getting a weapon upgrade to see a major increase in Damage done. My suggestion would be to reduce that multiplier you mention and THEN add to our normal gear (chest, legs, gloves, etc) a "feral attack power" equivalent. This would allow us to slowly upgrade our damage as we slowly upgrade our gear. Rather than getting a huge massive damage up with our weapon and then very very small increases with gear. --- This could be accomplished by many ways however (for example the AP from agility could simply be increased, though Blizz has said they don't like that idea).

Oh, I see what you mean now! I'm terribly sorry for the misunderstanding, but I can see your point now! I definitely do agree with you, it can be extremely frustrating to gear as a Feral Druid, especially when my damage is so much lower than everyone else's until the weeks go by and I can finally get my new weapon. I would love to have a different stat for Feral Druids that would help proportion our damage increase through gear, great idea, Jaymz!

I agree and disagree with you here.
I don't think Feral needs a reason to get haste any more than we have, atm. I agree it would be nice, but don't see it as nescessary.
In short I don't want to be a Rogue, that's why I play a Feral. It's too close already, imo.

I don't mind haste too much right now, I don't even notice it too much (I hope that's not stupid of me!), but it would be very nice if haste became something handy for Ferals to have. Nonetheless, I loved the ideas!

Thank you all so much for the responses, I may sound very robotic and rhetorical, but it's very intriguing to log on the forums and share ideas and thoughts. Special shout-outs to Adramelk and Jaymz (always taken the spotlight huh, Jaymz? Kidding!). And yes, Lunarsol, we all love that mog of Starrydance!
Hi.

I only play Feral and Guardian, so those are the only two specs I can comment on with confidence. However I am aware of the poor situation Restoration is in, that spec needs some love, that is a given.

Ferals
04/28/2013 09:35 PMPosted by Wildspirit
One main thing I'd like to address about the upcoming changes is the 3-minute wait on Druid cooldowns. Yes, I know, Incarnation is very effective and can help us throw out insane amounts of damage, but a lot of other melees have shorter cooldowns than us, especially Death Knights. They can burst 3 times in 3 minutes while we can only burst once. Paladin's have a much lower cooldown on Avenging Wrath, etc, than we do on Incarnatiion.

You can't really compare two class abilities in a vacuum like this. Class abilities are considered with the whole toolkit in mind. Paladins also have GoAK + talents they can line up for bust as well. Classes also need their own flavour, if you start comparing abilities and requesting spells from other classes tool kits you risk homogenization.

RE: Incarnation. I don't like this talent. 1) It's on the GCD which is clunky 2) it's only useful while Berserk is up - The Ravage energy cost is too high. After Berserk ends you are wasting time waiting for energy to regeneration. These two factors severely limit the potential burst capabilities.

As mentioned Ferals suffer from poor scaling, are weapon dependent for dps increases and don't get the full benefit from RRPM trinkets from poor interaction with haste. I agree with Jaymz that these issues should be looked at and/or fixed to stop the current "band aid" solutions. The 5.3 SR buffs makes SR an even higher priority and dps will suffer even more if it drops off while also increasing the learning curve and skill cap.

Feral, yay, basically a 10% direct buff to damage! I just wish they'd fix the root cause being our scaling, instead of slapping a bandaid on it that they'll probably just take away again at the next expac.

Buffing our direct damage is an option, it would devalue mastery and possibly increase the desirability of haste (depending on scaling). This was done during Cataclysm. However, I feel this diminishes some of the spec flavour, I like having dots be a high proportion of my damage. Whether this addresses scaling issues or benefits from RRPM items I can't say.

RE: haste / energy regeneration. There is a fine line with haste and energy regen. Too little and it makes no difference, too much and you become GCD locked / regenning faster than you can use it, especially with the SotF talent, heroism and high gear levels.

It would be nice get a Soul Swap / Redirect, but it would just be a clone and I don't want that. Symbiosis gives us flexibility by having an multi target option available to us. The SR glyph, using CP off dead targets, Symbiosis and high maneuverability reduce the need for an ability like this.

** Thrash - Giving Ferals a version of Thrash was unnecessary. It's high energy cost and situational usage (OoC procs and bleed to buff Swipe) make it feel half hearted. With Swipe now granting a CP on your target, I feel that was enough of an improvement to our AOE dps. It allows us to keep SR up while continuing to AOE.

** Symbiosis - The spells gained from Monks and DK's (Clash and Death Coil) are poor options. Clash shares a similar niche with Wild Charge making it less useful. While the stun utility is useful, there are better options. Death Coil's energy cost is too high, making it a dps loss to use over a regular ability. The ranged utility is inferior to the HotW talent.

** boss spell casting - It is a pet hate of mine when bosses are constantly turning around to cast spells. Ferals are the only class in the game that have to be behind the target to do competitive PVE dps (accept for maybe sub rogues). The constant turning severly affects overall dps, spell up time and rotation. I understand that mechanically it is required, but it is quite annoying. As are bosses that can't be attack from behind at all (Rag, Ultraxion etc...). Improvements have been made with Tortos and Megera but it is incredibly frustrating. However, I feel that attacking from behind adds a lot of flavour to the spec, so I don't want to removed.

** DoC - IF DoC could be redesigned to be used with other types of heals (CW or Renewal) it means you wouldn't be pigeonholed into Nature's Swiftness. There is also no way for Guardians to currently use DoC.

Guardian

** As with Feral, Incarnation needs to come off the GCD as does Enrage. These spells are important in our tool kit for survivability, having them on the GCD forces difficult and unnecessary decisions. Cenarion Ward could also benefit from not being on the GCD.

** Utility - There has been discussion about guardian utility, specifically around Tranquility and Innervate. Now that spec specific affects are working, there is talk of buffing Guardian Innervate; to be more powerful and castable in form. Similarly with tranq; castable in form and reduced cool down - to bring in a similar line to the other tank CD's. Making the Glyph of Stampeding Roar (increases range to 30 yards) baseline would also improve Guardian utility.

There are some abilities that I feel should be baseline for all specs;
Feral/Guardian - Wild Charge & Bash
Resto/Moonkin - Nature's Swiftness

The SR and Cat Form glyphs should be made baseline too. These two glyphs are mandatory to any raiders leaving only 1 glyph slot available to customize. These two glyphs are so important that to not have them puts you at a distinct disadvantage.

I think that will do for now. I'm keen to hear what other people think. Cheers,

~Elamari
Hi Elamari! Thanks for the response—love the name by the way!

Posted by Wildspirit
One main thing I'd like to address about the upcoming changes is the 3-minute wait on Druid cooldowns. Yes, I know, Incarnation is very effective and can help us throw out insane amounts of damage, but a lot of other melees have shorter cooldowns than us, especially Death Knights. They can burst 3 times in 3 minutes while we can only burst once. Paladin's have a much lower cooldown on Avenging Wrath, etc, than we do on Incarnatiion.

You can't really compare two class abilities in a vacuum like this. Class abilities are considered with the whole toolkit in mind. Paladins also have GoAK + talents they can line up for bust as well. Classes also need their own flavour, if you start comparing abilities and requesting spells from other classes tool kits you risk homogenization.

I suppose your argument is fair, I just can't stand being bursted 3 times so quick, ouch!

05/01/2013 11:15 PMPosted by Elamari
The SR and Cat Form glyphs should be made baseline too. These two glyphs are mandatory to any raiders leaving only 1 glyph slot available to customize. These two glyphs are so important that to not have them puts you at a distinct disadvantage.

I definitely agree with you on this one. These two glyphs are mandatory, and having only one glyph slot available (usually taken up by Glyph of Barkskin for PvP anyway....) is pretty horrendous! Glyphs are supposed to be used to fit your unique playstyle, there shouldn't be any mainstream glyphs that are obviously going to be used without any originality.

I'm really loving all of the discussions going on, thank you to everyone for keeping it friendly, clean, and very interesting! Special thanks to Elamari for the latest response. Happy prowling!
I'd like the idea of having FB refresh bleeds. DoC could use some toning down in terms of complexity so staring at timers 63422424 timers isn't all I do in encounters while trying to stay out of bad, pay attention to what's actually happening, and keeping my positional requirements.

This would also still keep some of the complexity of feral dps and give a nice dps buff. I'm only concerned it might get a little OP with a perfectly timed rip (potions, trinket procs) and consistently buffed rakes/thrashes...

Since they said they're concerned about OP bleed dmg in PvP they need to figure out something to balance it out a fit for feral PvE.
Haste should affect druid bleeds the same way haste affects resto HoTs. So there would be capping levels, as well as continuing to affect energy regen.

Better scaling is obviously important, as ferals are severly lacking atm in the scaling department, not sure if the roar buff will fix this, but I doubt it.

I would like to see something new brought in for Druids, say like Tree teleportation, where druids can travel to areas by major Trees, for example Hyjal, Moonglade, darnassus etc.

Also before Panadaria expansion came out I was joking that druids would get control of a flock of birds to do damage for them, but instead they gave it hunters, how would hunters control birds? Surely that would be more of a druid thing, we can talk to and control small creatures yet not birds that live in Trees. Strange Blizz Strange...

Oh and get rid of Shred position requirements, feral druids are the only class whos major filler requires them to be behind the boss. THIS is long over due.

And up leather drop rates all I ever see is plate (personal whinge there).