Would having heal/tank specs be inefficient?

Paladin
So I think I've finally settled on this character, as the Paladin population doesn't seem to be as massive as I had thought (I hope).

I hear that Retribution is having some issues, so I was thinking about having my off-spec be Protection, since I want to heal. Would the two specs be especially difficult to keep relatively up to date, at least for the LFR/pug raiding level of play? Or would it be better to pick one and go DPS for the off-spec? My biggest worry is being part of the dime-a-dozen class/role combos.

Thanks in advance.
The only place it can be argued that Ret is having any problems is Rated Battlegrounds.

Most importantly play the specs that you like. But from a practical standpoint Prot/Holy isn't very useful if you ever get into raiding and the like.

There will be fights where you may want a Healer to go DPS or a Tank to go DPS but there aren't really any circumstances where you'll want a Healer to go Tank or a Tank to go Healer.

Trying to do dailies as Holy would be slow and doing them as Prot wouldn't be that much better.

Personally I think every hybrid player should have DPS as one of their specs, but again if you really enjoy both play what you like.

My biggest worry is being part of the dime-a-dozen class/role combos.

That's a pretty silly worry and if you want to be playing a "rare" class you might as well give up on Paladin as there are a lot of us.

Letting something like that limit what classes and specs you play is, well odd is a polite way to put it.
The only place it can be argued that Ret is having any problems is Rated Battlegrounds.

Most importantly play the specs that you like. But from a practical standpoint Prot/Holy isn't very useful if you ever get into raiding and the like.

There will be fights where you may want a Healer to go DPS or a Tank to go DPS but there aren't really any circumstances where you'll want a Healer to go Tank or a Tank to go Healer.

Trying to do dailies as Holy would be slow and doing them as Prot wouldn't be that much better.

Personally I think every hybrid player should have DPS as one of their specs, but again if you really enjoy both play what you like.

My biggest worry is being part of the dime-a-dozen class/role combos.

That's a pretty silly worry and if you want to be playing a "rare" class you might as well give up on Paladin as there are a lot of us.

Letting something like that limit what classes and specs you play is, well odd is a polite way to put it.
Alright, I'll just got holy/ret then.

And I'm not in it to be rare, I just don't like getting turned down because there's already a bunch of "x" already in the group. Thus the healing in theory.
And I'm not in it to be rare, I just don't like getting turned down because there's already a bunch of "x" already in the group. Thus the healing in theory.

Well a good Holy Paladin is always in demand so I wouldn't worry too much.

A good Ret is invaluable as well, just not as widely recognized by your average WoW player. Stigmas die hard.
04/27/2013 12:02 AMPosted by Cadenbrie

Well a good Holy Paladin is always in demand so I wouldn't worry too much.

A good Ret is invaluable as well, just not as widely recognized by your average WoW player. Stigmas die hard.
Okay, perfect. Thanks for the tip.

On a different note, since I won't have a tank spec, is Ret any good at soloing old content? I'm sure Prot is better at that, but I'd like to grab transmog gear at some point.
On a different note, since I won't have a tank spec, is Ret any good at soloing old content? I'm sure Prot is better at that, but I'd like to grab transmog gear at some point.

Ret can solo most things and is a good bit faster at it. You won't start hitting bumps until late Wrath but Prot wouldn't make much of a difference in most of those situations anyway as it's usually a mechanics thing that gets you and not anything to do with your spec.

Usually those bumps are in higher difficulty settings, I believe I've heard tale of a Ret soloing 10 Man ICC in the past.

And really Prot is just a quick Talent respec away if you ever feel you need it, if you can grab a decent sword and board the rest of the gear set for Prot and Ret is pretty interchangeable.

Really the only armor Prot doesn't use is armor with crit on it.
04/27/2013 12:22 AMPosted by Cadenbrie

Ret can solo most things and is a good bit faster at it. You won't start hitting bumps until late Wrath but Prot wouldn't make much of a difference in most of those situations anyway as it's usually a mechanics thing that gets you and not anything to do with your spec.

Usually those bumps are in higher difficulty settings, I believe I've heard tale of a Ret soloing 10 Man ICC in the past.

And really Prot is just a quick Talent respec away if you ever feel you need it, if you can grab a decent sword and board the rest of the gear set for Prot and Ret is pretty interchangeable.

Really the only armor Prot doesn't use is armor with crit on it.
Huh. My last raiding experience was a while back, so that is definitely new to me. Used to dodge, parry, all that old stuff.

Great news for me though!
There are a handful of fights I can't solo as Ret because the incoming damage is too high, but can solo as Prot. They're relatively few, though - a couple bosses in ICC25 and the bear boss in ZA are the only ones I've yet found. Most things will either be a) soloable as Ret anyway or b) too difficult to solo at all.