Treasure Trove Scenario for Mages

Mage
Share your tips/strategies in this thread with your fellow Mages!

One of these days I'll stop being lazy and learn how to make videos and make a proper visual guide, but for now here's what I do:

Spec: Arcane. Very bursty for killing the end boss quickly and the Frost pet gets in the way. It's the same spec I use for dailies and solo play.

Talents: Blazing Speed, Ice Barrier, Ice Ward, Greater Invisibility, Frost Bomb, Incanter's Ward (the same setup I use for dailies)

Glyphs: Evocation (60% heal with IW), Blink, Invisibility (speed boost)/Slow/Arcane Power

Items: 3x Polymorphic Key, 1x Sleep Dust (sometimes optional), 1x Frost Rune Trap (optional), 1x Jade Serpent Potion, As many Arcane Propellant as you can buy (I drop myself down to 5 coins before doing the run), Drums of Forgotten Kings, Salyin Battle Banner (aggro drop), Flask, Food, Engineering perks if you have them

Warning - Don't use a jade serpent potion until the final room or it'll put your keys on cooldown.

Strategy:

General - My goal is to maximize burial trove keys for bonus Mogu Runes. Open all red and golds that aren't out of the way and make sure you kill the end boss and talk to Tenwu for guaranteed burial trove keys. 13% drop rate from small chests, 20% from large according to Wowhead. Be very generous with propellants, and Ice Block off the lightning debuff if you get it.

1st room - Blink/Blazing speed and Propellant across the mogu statues, picking up the speed boost on the right along the way, jump up on top of a stepping stone to your right after the last statue and do these 3 ledges as seen from 1:10 to 1:45 in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr2eHtlLY3I

2 propellants here. Blazing Speed can make the jumps easier. Loot a couple close chests. Use the lever to open the door.

Hallway - Use the stones to get up and propellant across to the other stepping stones as you jump off. Get the easy chests from both sides

2nd room - Jump off to the right, sheep the mob without getting too close, open the gold chest next to him. If there's 2 chests, that means the left chest will be a treasure saurok, and drop a frost rune trap on it to CC him or cast Slow. He's a guaranteed burial trove key. If he's not there, don't go out of your way for him, as you should head straight to the next hallway. Sleep dust the middle patting add if you need to, but be aware you'll need to invis off the aggro. Key the first door.

Hallway - Same as first hallway. Should have at least 2 minutes left on your debuff here, if not 3. Key the second door.

3rd room - Jump off to the right again, and get the chests. Can propellant across the lightning if you don't want to bother with it. Get all those small chests that aren't out of the way and jump up through the gap in the railing. Odds are, the Mogu mob will be patting, and you'll need to Invis or Battle Banner him off. Invis won't be up if you used it in the 2nd room. Open the door with the key.

Final room - Head straight to the boss, pop hero, Jade Serpent pot and blow him and the two quillens up, loot all the chests there and head to Tenwu, opening any reds near Tenwu if you have > 10 seconds. I talk to Tenwu at 3-5 seconds left just to be safe.

Usually nets me ~40-45 chests, sometimes 10 of them gold, and sometimes I'll get good RNG with burial trove keys and achieve a "perfect run". A perfect run is 8 burial trove keys because 8 burial troves total spawn. Mogu Rune drop rate is still pretty low, so don't expect one if you open all 8. It's also possible to get unlucky and only get your 2 guaranteed burial trove keys despite the decent drop rate.

Anyhow, share your other suggestions/videos/questions with other Mages here. Thanks.
I don't have any better strategies, I just wanted to say thanks for this.
I'm a poor sob so i sit in the first room and loot everything.

Xiun #1 at treasure troves

You get more out of it by pushing farther for the large chests. The big money is in Treasure Trove Keys.
If at all possible, avoid using Polymorph to CC enemies you need to pass by. If you get too close, they're considered in combat with you, and they'll hunt you down mercilessly when they pop out unless you Invis. Use Sleep Dust instead; they won't aggro from proximity that way.

Xiun #1 at treasure troves

I do the same thing my last run netted me 3 trove keys 5 spirits of harmony and around 500g.

I'm too lazy to get all technical with the different consumables they have for it haha.
I do the same thing my last run netted me 3 trove keys 5 spirits of harmony and around 500g

yeah same.

though i've wanted to try and go further. maybe tomorrow.
Has anyone experienced difficulty with invisibility? Mine never seems to actually stick.

Also having your water elemental pop traps for you is wonderful. No really: I WANTED you to run over the red tile and get me killed.
1. Blazing Speed, Ice Barrier and Greater Invis should be no-brainers, though I don't invis past much. It's best used as a failsafe in case you do accidentally get agro. Make sure you wait until after you get pulled to melee by each troll first.
If you really want CC, Ring of Frost would be better than Ice Ward as it doesn't require you to take a hit. If you're playing your cards right, trying to cautiously dodge a mob is usually more time consuming than just moving on to another chest.

2. As for Poly-Keys, I only use them if I'm going for the end dude. The middle set of doors requires two keys and if you're fast you can hit the lever on the second door, then use a little chest to get up and over the railing to the door with the quickness. - It's probably faster than using keys. The only real challenge is avoiding combat in the area. I'd suggest liberal use of Sleep Dust.

3. Also, Learn to use Arcane Propellant and get creative. Hitting it at the peak of your jump can launch you over all kinds of things and put you in the right place for some extra chests. There's two right at the start that are easy to pick up with propellant.

4. Avoid agro at all costs except the wee spiders.

5. If you're going for the achievement, don't try to maximize your chest pick up. Just get the achievement requisite and maximize after.

6. There's a youtube video of a goblin hunter doing a route with only Aspect of the Cheetah up. I'd recommend watching it. He outlines a great route. Using his methods I've hit 17 chests in a single run. Best. Video. EVAR. He tried to keep it as class universal as possible, spare Aspect of the Cheetah. The route is awesome, regardless of your class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr2eHtlLY3I
General - My goal is to maximize burial trove keys for bonus Mogu Runes.

wat
wat

Mogu Runes of Fate have a (ridiculously low) chance to drop from Burial Troves at the end of the scenario. Before anyone complains about how it's balanced, always remember it's more likely you'll win gold from your extra roll. :)
Curse's database says 2/897 chance to get it from Burial Trove and 1/159661 to get it from golden chest. I guess I shouldn't hold my breath :)
I ended up snagging one myself today. Will upload a screenshot.

However, I still am getting !@#$ed over by that damn middle room. The sentries on some of those chests get me before I have a chance to loot and get away. It's pretty annoying. I have a feeling it's a latency issue since I live in an EST zone but am playing on a PST server.

I did follow the advice someone above recommended for invisibility, though! If you let them pull you in before casting invisibility, it actually works! Pretty awesome.

Maybe just neglecting the middle room would be more viable? I still have yet to get the 10 chest achievement.
I have a feeling it's a latency issue since I live in an EST zone but am playing on a PST server.

As someone living in the GMT +8 time zone, for some reason I get less latency on the PST servers than the EST servers >.>

And for some unexplained reason all the "Oceanic" servers gave me way more latency than the EST/Central/PST time zone servers. The Oceanic servers have insane latency for some reason. I can't ever get it lower than 900 ms. On the EST servers I'm always cruising at 200-300, but on the PST servers it goes a little lower (max 150)
6. There's a youtube video of a goblin hunter doing a route with only Aspect of the Cheetah up. I'd recommend watching it. He outlines a great route. Using his methods I've hit 17 chests in a single run. Best. Video. EVAR. He tried to keep it as class universal as possible, spare Aspect of the Cheetah. The route is awesome, regardless of your class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr2eHtlLY3I

Watched this and got 14-15 on my first run-through with my druid. It's a great route.
i love this instance!
05/02/2013 02:39 PMPosted by Autumni
General - My goal is to maximize burial trove keys for bonus Mogu Runes.

wat

I've gotten... two i think from the troves at the end so far.

Really nice :]
I have a feeling it's a latency issue since I live in an EST zone but am playing on a PST server.

As someone living in the GMT +8 time zone, for some reason I get less latency on the PST servers than the EST servers >.>

And for some unexplained reason all the "Oceanic" servers gave me way more latency than the EST/Central/PST time zone servers. The Oceanic servers have insane latency for some reason. I can't ever get it lower than 900 ms. On the EST servers I'm always cruising at 200-300, but on the PST servers it goes a little lower (max 150)

Weird!

At any rate, it sucks being hit by the beam and aggroing everything in that room. I've been debating skipping it but there are just too many chests in there to do so.. ; ;
Spec: Arcane. Very bursty for killing the end boss quickly and the Frost pet gets in the way. It's the same spec I use for dailies and solo play.

The pet is actually great if you are good at micro managing it.

Let it aggro everything in your way and make it run far away from you ... you then walk through where all the mobs were and let your pet die and invis ... the mobs reset .. you are past them all .. and you just summon a new pet if needed.
Yeah room 2 is the most risky folks. One can make a case for going left if you know the treasure saurok is there, but outside of that rooms 1 and 4 have more chests and less mobs to aggro. I spent more time in room 2 when I wasn't exalted and had no keys.