LFR Loot

General Discussion
So I play an assassination rogue and an arms warrior and am gearing them up in LFR. But I notice that on my arms warrior, I can't win 1 handed weapons (which I'd like a chance to win so I can switch over to SMF some day).

That's fine, I can deal with that. I get it, loot for your current spec and all. But then I notice on my assassination rogue that I can win maces and axes. The thing is I can't use those as an assassination rogue. They are great to win if I want to switch to combat some day, but not for using mutilate (requires daggers).

So I was just wondering what is the logic behind this? And are there other discrepancies like this with other classes?
the logic is your class can use the items. not every boss is going to drop a dagger so instead of giving you nothing they give you a chance at something. as for arms they have no need of 1hs since that's not their primary weapon type. could they use a 1h, yes they could but it's not practical as we both know. It's not perfect but you at least have a chance at something.
I play a combat rogue. Rogues can USE 1h maces and axes but they are not set to any specific spec. Just because you have a particular spec that uses daggers for a few attacks isn't going to completely eliminate you from winning other weapons that your class can use.
For the same reason healing priests can get non-spirit gear.

It sucks more so for rogues, as you are so weapon dependent. All I have it hugs for you.
I play a combat rogue. Rogues can USE 1h maces and axes but they are not set to any specific spec. Just because you have a particular spec that uses daggers for a few attacks isn't going to completely eliminate you from winning other weapons that your class can use.
I believe you can't use mutilate with anything but daggers. Sinister strike is automatically replaced with mutilate when you are in assassination spec (unless my UI somehow is automatically doing this for me). You can't generate any combo points without either mutilate or sinister strike.

I may be wrong about this, and I'm sure someone will point it out in about 10 seconds if I am, but can't I equip a 1-handed weapon as arms? Sure, why would I want to? But by the same token, why would I want to equip a mace or axe as an assassination rogue?

I'm not complaining and asking for anything to be changed. I'm just trying to make sense of it...
I'm pretty sure this was changed a few weeks ago.
04/30/2013 11:18 AMPosted by Darkbladejk
not every boss is going to drop a dagger so instead of giving you nothing they give you a chance at something. as for arms they have no need of 1hs since that's not their primary weapon type.
aren't daggers the primary weapon type for assassination spec? Assassination rogues have no need for maces or axes in the same way arms warriors have no need for 1hand weapons.

I hope you can see why I'm puzzled by this.
April 2

Raids, Dungeons, and Scenarios
Throne of Thunder
Assassination Rogues should no longer be receiving non-dagger agility weapons from bonus rolls and Raid Finder.
I'm pretty sure this was changed a few weeks ago.
In which direction? Because I was just in LFR on my arms warrior and found that the 1 handed weapon from Iron Qon was not available to me on the loot table. Did they remove the maces and axes from assassination's loot table?
April 2

Raids, Dungeons, and Scenarios
Throne of Thunder
Assassination Rogues should no longer be receiving non-dagger agility weapons from bonus rolls and Raid Finder.
ah, thanks :)

I only play my rogue towards the end of the week when I'm valor capped on my warrior. I hadn't noticed. Thanks :)

I guess they realized that this was inconsistent. I wish they had changed it the other way.
ah, thanks :)

I only play my rogue towards the end of the week when I'm valor capped on my warrior. I hadn't noticed. Thanks :)

I guess they realized that this was inconsistent. I wish they had changed it the other way.

Sorry, I could have been more clear. Arms is a 2H spec, so I sincerely doubt that they'll ever get One-Handed weapons from LFR.

Assassination on the other hand was simply a bug.
Sorry, I could have been more clear. Arms is a 2H spec, so I sincerely doubt that they'll ever get One-Handed weapons from LFR.Assassination on the other hand was simply a bug.

When I use the dungeon journal, it still shows that I'm able to win maces and axes, but you're saying they've changed that. I take it the dungeon journal is still in error then.

And I can in fact equip and use a one-handed weapon as Arms. I just logged in and did it. So my point was that if a rogue could gear up his combat spec while in assassination, an arms warrior should be able to gear up a fury spec.

As far as I can tell, things are still the same, unless the dungeon journal is in error. Assassination (a dagger spec) can win axes and maces but an arms warrior cannot win 1-handed weapons (which it can also equip and use equally inefficiently).

But I'll just have to go with the dungeon journal being bugged for now.
Unholy and Blood DKs are limited to 2h weapons in lfr/bonus rolls as well. If you want 1hers as a DK, you have to be in as frost. With 5.3 you'll be able to pick which spec you want loot for.
Unholy and Blood DKs are limited to 2h weapons in lfr/bonus rolls as well. If you want 1hers as a DK, you have to be in as frost. With 5.3 you'll be able to pick which spec you want loot for.

holy cheesenuggets, is that why I can't get a 2H on this poor little DK?
04/30/2013 12:20 PMPosted by Piñata

Frost can get 1H or 2H Weapons.

Blood and Unholy can only get 2H.
And I can in fact equip and use a one-handed weapon as Arms. I just logged in and did it. So my point was that if a rogue could gear up his combat spec while in assassination, an arms warrior should be able to gear up a fury spec.

04/30/2013 11:53 AMPosted by Kale
an arms warrior cannot win 1-handed weapons

Arms is not a 1H spec, it's 2H. If you want to win one-handers go in as Prot or Fury.

Ret paladins can use one handers, but they aren't flagged for them because Ret is a 2H spec.

Frost DKs as mentioned are like Fury in the sense they can either use 2x1H or 1x2H so they can win both. Unholy and Blood are 2H only, so they don't get one-handers.

Once 5.3 comes out you can queue as Arms and pick Fury as your desired spec to receive one-hand weapons, but until then you have two choices: Prot or Fury.

And for the record, I can equip a staff and dps with it...how come I can't gear up my staff spec when I go into an LFR? I mean it's not optimal but I can use it.
I don't use one-handed weapons on my arms warrior.
04/30/2013 12:21 PMPosted by Annorroth

Frost can get 1H or 2H Weapons.

Blood and Unholy can only get 2H.

cool, pleasant misunderstanding. Now, to cheesenugget the system.
Arms is not a 1H spec, it's 2H. If you want to win one-handers go in as Prot or Fury.Ret paladins can use one handers, but they aren't flagged for them because Ret is a 2H spec.Frost DKs as mentioned are like Fury in the sense they can either use 2x1H or 1x2H so they can win both. Unholy and Blood are 2H only, so they don't get one-handers.Once 5.3 comes out you can queue as Arms and pick Fury as your desired spec to receive one-hand weapons, but until then you have two choices: Prot or Fury.And for the record, I can equip a staff and dps with it...how come I can't gear up my staff spec when I go into an LFR? I mean it's not optimal but I can use it.

I don't use one-handed weapons on my arms warrior.
I don't use maces or axes on my assassination rogue.

You guys didn't seem to read my post. My question was why assassination rogues win axes and maces which they don't use, and why the discrepancy.

But that's ok, according to the warlock in this thread, they've fixed it so that assassination rogues no longer win axes or maces from LFR or bonus rolls, it's just a bug that it shows in the dungeon journal that you do.
I got a tanking belt from ToT. I haven't tanked since Wrath. I am still wondering why I got it.