Separate crafting and gathering.

Professions
Change Herbalism, Mining, Skinning to Secondary professions.

Or

Boost Primary Professions from limit of 2 to limit of 3+.

I find it very stupid that i need to level multiple dummy characters 1-85 to have access to all gathering classes.
you arent supposed to have access to everything you. This is an MMO, you are supposed to gather/make some things, and sell them to have gold to buy the things you cant make/gather.
You made a choice with two crafting profs and no gathering one. Use the AH, trade chat, or find a reliable source to constantly supply you with your mats.
You made a choice with two crafting profs and no gathering one. Use the AH, trade chat, or find a reliable source to constantly supply you with your mats.

I have the alts to gather for me, it's simply inconvenient, and time management wise not very good. I like to mine, gather, craft, as i wait for LFR, LFG, LFBG. Which is not possible if i am jumping across 2-3 alts to gather the mats i need. I don't need to spend a gold on ah for mat's i get all mats from the field. My issue is the lack of convenience, more then anything.
I don't need to spend a gold on ah for mat's i get all mats from the field. My issue is the lack of convenience, more then anything.

Would it not make more sense to engage in a more profitable activity during that time and use that gold to buy material?
I don't understand why you'd want to have all the gathering classes. In order to use them, you'd need three different crafting professions, in which case you'd have to have multiple alts anyway.
I don't understand why you'd want to have all the gathering classes. In order to use them, you'd need three different crafting professions, in which case you'd have to have multiple alts anyway.

not quite blacksmithing, jewelcrafting and engeneering all use minning why not have minning as a secondary proffesion so you can use blacksmithing and jewel crafting or jewel crafting and engeneering that makes since because the egeneers use jewels as does blacksmithing
No need to have gathering with crafting professions. You can have two crafting professions if you wish.

All gathering does is turn time into gold. Usually there are other ways to spend your time to make gold. If you can't purchase the materials for an item off the auction house and make money selling it, then you can't really make money gathering those items either.
Quiz:

Ghost iron is on the AH for 60g a stack.

Q: If you buy a stack off the AH, how much less gold would you have?

A:_________________

Q: If you farm a stack and don't sell it on the AH how much less gold would you have?

A: ________________

(hint: the answer is 60g to both questions, whether you farm it or buy it, it costs you the same)
Becina:
not quite blacksmithing, jewelcrafting and engeneering all use minning why not have minning as a secondary proffesion so you can use blacksmithing and jewel crafting or jewel crafting and engeneering that makes since because the egeneers use jewels as does blacksmithing

But that's more of an issue with have two professions allowed instead of three. It doesn't have anything to do with gathering vs. crafting specifically. You might as well ask to make alchemy a secondary profession because blacksmithing uses living steel.
I think it would be nice if we could have three main tradeskills so that if they add a new main one with an expansion, we don't have to unlearn one from an alt or something to get whatever the new thing is. Plus it would be nice to have one gathering and maybe two crafting or two gathering and one crafting skill.

I admit that I really liked how, in previous MMORPGs I played, we could have as many tradeskills as we were willing to learn and level up. I do realize that they put a limit so they could encourage players to trade with others though. But the part of me that played EverQuest still wants to be able to craft everything because I just liked being able to do that.
I agree it is getting more and more annoying to have only the 2. I also would like to say to the posters saying "get over it" (which is it what their words amount to) I don't feel like getting over it, and go tell someone else how you feel about what i should think or prefer!

I really have no need of somebody telling me what I should think or feel, I get enough of that BS from the government and media.
Change Herbalism, Mining, Skinning to Secondary professions.

Or

Boost Primary Professions from limit of 2 to limit of 3+.

I find it very stupid that i need to level multiple dummy characters 1-85 to have access to all gathering classes.

It's part of that whole community thing. Limiting it promotes using the community instead of your own personal army of alts.
If they allowed three main professions, I'd put Jewelcrafting, Enchanting and Alchemy on one character. Probably put that combination on multiple characters.