Cost of Blacksmithing VS Cost of 522 Gear

Professions
People get so hostile when when they get a post that is not "right on brother"...geez.

I was agreeing with you in that the change you mentioned will likely go into a future patch. However, I do not agree that Haunting Spirit are part of a bad design. They are *supposed* to be hard to obtain. Good items are supposed to be hard to get.

I now await the inevitable snide comments and/or insults.
I'm growing tired of all these threads complaining about the price of haunting spirits, wish the people creating them were smart enough to just use the search function and go read the replies on the myriad of existing threads, but then if they were that smart they'd already understand the rational behind it and wouldn't be here complaining.

In the vain hope that some of you might read and understand this....

Crafted raid gear, stretching from MC all the way to current, has been intended for raiders who've had bad luck on drops. Almost every piece of raid crafted gear has been gated to it's specific target, raiders, in some fashion, whether recipes only dropped in raids, recipes unlocked via a rep you earn in the raid, or materials needed that only dropped in the raid.

Pretty much the ONLY time there's raid ilvl crafted gear which isn't gated is at the start of an expansion and then it's usually gated via some other means, such as the 476 patterns at MOP start needing reps, the 359 crafteds in Cata needing heroic dungeon dropped mats.

Haunting Spirits being needed to make gear the same ilvl as current raid drops is not a new concept!

If you really wanted to complain about needing raid mats to make raid gear before it was imped, you'd need to travel back in time to before the release of vanilla wow and whine about core leather, fiery cores and lava cores.

As for the price of them...this is called supply and demand. The supply is limited firstly by the amount of gear that drops that nobody actually needs (and my raid group de'd 2-3 items the very first week of TOT) and then by whether your group actually wants to sell those mats. My guild kept them, when we had enough we used them to craft gear for our raiders, I actually made some of it myself since I'm BS/LW and also made some boots on my tailor alt for guildies. NOW, when none of our raiders need crafted gear, is when we actually sell the spirits.
People get so hostile when when they get a post that is not "right on brother"...geez.

I was agreeing with you in that the change you mentioned will likely go into a future patch. However, I do not agree that Haunting Spirit are part of a bad design. They are *supposed* to be hard to obtain. Good items are supposed to be hard to get.

I now await the inevitable snide comments and/or insults.

Haunting spirits are not hard to obtain. They are as simple as disenchanting a raid item. The point people have made over and over and over is that by the time you get around to getting them (or enough of them to make more than a couple items), you usually don't need them anymore. It happened last tier, its happening now.

That aside from the fact that it requires you to have an enchanter, while unlikely that someone isn't an enchanter (especially in 25 man) but its definitely possible (much more likely in 10 man).

That alone makes it a bad design from the start. Let alone everything else people talked about.
04/30/2013 12:29 AMPosted by Katzbalger
If you really wanted to complain about needing raid mats to make raid gear before it was imped, you'd need to travel back in time to before the release of vanilla wow and whine about core leather, fiery cores and lava cores.

You mean that stuff that you could literally just farm by doing trash over and over, that wasn't tied to disenchanting gear you needed? Btw, core leather was only used for 11 items, only 9 of them being actual armor. 2 of them being bags, 1 being an armor kit. And the big reason for a shortage of that was people not looting the freaken hounds for a skinner to skin. Firey cores and lava cores were pretty common. Go solo MC some time, you'll end up with a ton of them by the end.

Haunting spirits are not hard to obtain. They are as simple as disenchanting a raid item. The point people have made over and over and over is that by the time you get around to getting them (or enough of them to make more than a couple items), you usually don't need them anymore. It happened last tier, its happening now.

That aside from the fact that it requires you to have an enchanter, while unlikely that someone isn't an enchanter (especially in 25 man) but its definitely possible (much more likely in 10 man).

That alone makes it a bad design from the start. Let alone everything else people talked about.

If this was the case, then wouldn't Blood Spirit's demand have dropped before the latest patch? I saw high demand (and sold quite a few of the epics) until 5.2 content came out. That indicates to me that people did want them.

As has been pointed out before, the intent appears to be to allow raiders to fill in gaps in their gear that they haven't recieved in drops, and then following that to allow the rest of the population to bypass using valor to get the same.

I get people don't like it, but that's the design and I see nothing wrong in it. The fact that it takes enchanting to get them isn't a big deal. Raid groups tend to have one. This is little different then back in BC when people would run raids and BoP patterns would drop, and many of the items made were BiS.
I have a solution for this problem that can be fixed beginning in patch 5.3 - instead of giving every blacksmith the ability to learn current normal raid gear patterns, give them equivalent LFR ilvl patterns. Make the normal patterns drop in normal raids and heroic patterns drop in heroic raids. This way people can't complain or be frustrated about materials required.

I got a simple solution. No more gated content.

Also, its stupid to say the problem with blacksmiths was that the isle took to long unlock. Even if unlocked that week. Or was unlocked/available the first day. It still would have taken a total of 30 days before any blacksmith could churned out a 502 weapon. It is simply a bad design.

You claim it is bad design because you disagree with the intent. I find the timing of the weapons to be appropriate and so consider it excellent design.

The limitation was frustrating but in e broader context fair since we did get the weapons as well as the pop craftables.

As far as haunting spirit crafted items their availability only increases and prices only drop so again it seems to be p,laying out as intended.

Almost forgot my initial point. Comparing the cost of levelling a profession to the cost of a crafted item is only reasonable if the profession confers a bop item and you compare int to the cost of acquiring the same item which is boe

Nah, the timing is a big deal. My mage tailor was able to craft, buy spirits, sell and profit from the 522 recipes on day 1. In the first 14 days I crafted and sold 3 522 ilvl pieces. My blacksmith will take 90 days to craft 3 502 ilvl weapons, and by then, nobody will be willing to pay much for LFR level weapons. Very poor design I'd say.
Nah, the timing is a big deal. My mage tailor was able to craft, buy spirits, sell and profit from the 522 recipes on day 1. In the first 14 days I crafted and sold 3 522 ilvl pieces. My blacksmith will take 90 days to craft 3 502 ilvl weapons, and by then, nobody will be willing to pay much for LFR level weapons. Very poor design I'd say.

why do they need to be the same and super profitable? If blacksmiths couldn't also make equivalent 522 items i might agree with you but they can.

The only real negative thing i have to say about blacksmithing is that it was kinda jacked up that they had to wait till stage 5 or w/e to start learning the patterns.