Do animals understand hugs?

Movies, TV and Entertainment
I was wondering. Do animals understand what a hug is? Cats rub up against you to leave their scent, essentially making you its "property". Dogs lick your face when pulled in for a hug, as a way of saying "Whoa there, calm down. I mean no harm."

I'm pretty sure other animals like parrots and iguanas have no idea what a hug is supposed to be.

So are we (and maybe primates) the only hugging creatures?
Our dog learned how to join in on group hugs, it was cute.
I'd say animals can understand hugs if exposed to them enough. Especially the primates, they essentially act a lot like humans anyway.

I mean, there's this one gorilla at some zoo they taught to use a rudimentary form of sign language. They showed her a sad movie, and at a point where some character's kid died, she turned away and signed out that it was a sad thing.

She also asked for a kitten after seeing some on TV, and they gave her one, and let her name it. She apparently named it 'All Ball' because of how small it was when curled up. It died after being hit by a car, and the gorilla's caretaker explained it to her.

"In December 1984, All Ball was released from his cage and was hit and killed by a car. Later, Patterson said that when she signed to Koko that All Ball had gone, Koko signed "Bad, sad, bad" and "Frown, cry, frown, sad". Patterson also reported later hearing Koko making a sound similar to human weeping. Drawing upon this incident, Patterson argues that non-human species can have human-like emotions."

Apparently at one point Koko pulled a sink out of a wall when she was alone, and tried to blame it on the cat. Intelligent and emotional they may be, but they can still lack common sense.

Sooooo the point is I'm sure primates know exactly what hugging is, and other animals can probably learn what it means over time.
05/04/2013 10:11 PMPosted by Soeroah
Apparently at one point Koko pulled a sink out of a wall when she was alone, and tried to blame it on the cat.

Seems legit.
I mean, there's this one gorilla at some zoo they taught to use a rudimentary form of sign language. They showed her a sad movie, and at a point where some character's kid died, she turned away and signed out that it was a sad thing.

Or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn79Lgfh1hw

I'm actually jealous of the gorilla in this.
I am sure you can find a bear who wants a hug.
Sometimes a cat rubs against you to leave it's odor, yeah.
But sometimes it really does ask for a hug, too.
I hug my dogs all the time but I don't think they really understand. They tolerate it but stand sort of awkwardly like "What are you doing to me?"
Manatees understand hugs.

Seriously, if you ever get the rare opportunity to swim with them (which is apparently illegal) if you hug them they will hug you back.
Monkeys and gorillas sure do.
I hug my dogs all the time but I don't think they really understand. They tolerate it but stand sort of awkwardly like "What are you doing to me?"

actually acording to the dog whispererthey're thinking "this human is attempting to mate with me"
Domesticated animals understand affection. Some can be conditioned to appreciate hugs, even.

I had a roommate who had adopted an Alaskan Malamute. The day my parents called to let me know they had to put down my childhood puppy, I visited her specifically to spend some time with an affectionate dog. As soon as I walked in, he bounded up, stood up on his hind legs, and embraced me -- his head on my shoulder and everything.

He even sighed.
Manatees understand hugs.

Seriously, if you ever get the rare opportunity to swim with them (which is apparently illegal) if you hug them they will hug you back.

and then wont let go and you drown in lettuce.
I don't know too many monkey's that could take apart a fuel injector.
I saw one once that could do sign language.
Yea I saw that one, uhh...Koko.
Yea, Koko.
Right Koko! That chimp's all right, high five!