Best Caster Class?

Arenas
Greetings,

So throughout all my playing years of World of Warcraft I've been sticking to melee. I'm looking for another PvP alt to run arena and other various PvP stuff. I have never played a caster before so not sure how different they are. I thought about trying out a Mage.. Simply cause I think Frost looks fun. Also, I'm just looking for something new to try out.

But my friend is trying to tell me to roll Warlock that they are faceroll. Is this true? I'm looking for a class that can pretty much be viable in most comps. He has about almost a 90 of everything and the one I mainly do arena's with is my Holy Paladin.

So, I come here asking for suggestions.

Thank you!
Oh come on!
Warlocks are currently one of the worst classes for arena.

Go with frost mage, especially if you think it looks fun.
Frost isn't actually fun, though.

Are they really?
Lol love seeing warlocks complain that they are terrible in arena.
05/04/2013 07:59 PMPosted by Thorhin
I'm looking for a class that can pretty much be viable in most comps.

Shadow priests pretty much fit with anything, but come 5.3 that wont be as true as it is now, but they will still be strong.

Warlocks are also extremely versatile and can work in almost any comp, but are not quite as strong as they usually are. They will probably be getting buffs and they've had a history of being a top tier class almost every season.

Mages are also a class that are historically very consistent. They are usually in the top 3 to 5 DPS range, but always rank 1 viable. Unfortunately, they tend to be a little bit more comp dependent because of thier mechanics (Namely they are reliant on dispel protections and have a lot of different DR's sets.)

well they aren't great to be honest. Not awful, but sure as hell not nearly as strong as a mage, hunter, rogue, spriest, or DK. Warlocks greatly exaggerated their plight though.

Frost isn't actually fun, though.

And as much as I hate to say it, this is actually kind of true now. Frost (and the mage class in general) lost a lot of its charm with MoP. I think still mages are fun, but not as much as they used to be.
05/04/2013 08:38 PMPosted by Bowsnroses

well they aren't great to be honest. Not awful, but sure as hell not nearly as strong as a mage, hunter, rogue, spriest, or DK. Warlocks greatly exaggerated their plight though.

They arent overpowered for once. With all those classes (besides mage and DK) being brought down, I expect to see more warlocks queuing 3s soon. I see quite a few already.

Luckily they get free gear by being the best RBG dps by far.
Same(opposite :P) boat, I want to have a melee 90 for when I'm bored with this.
Frost mage is the best spec.
mage, they 1 shot the world

Are they really?

Yeah they are.

Are they really?

Yeah they are.

No they're not. We're far from the best, but definitely not the worst.

OT: Right now SPriests are the best caster, in 5.3 it should be mages.
Boomkin in 5.3, just run with afflock and lol as you burn people to cinders. Also gives you the flexibility to be a tank, melee DPS or healer as well, which is kinda nice I guess.

inb4 "boomie is bad", because just like Disc Priests, Death Knights and Rogues the players suffer from this absurd point of reference in cata when their classes were just sick jokes.
Yeah play a Mage if you just want to do well. Warlocks take a lot of skill between pet control and using over 80 something keybinds. Mages have the best CC in the game for kiting melee and a ridiculous counterspell that makes people think it has no cooldown.

They arent overpowered for once. With all those classes (besides mage and DK) being brought down, I expect to see more warlocks queuing 3s soon. I see quite a few already.

pretty much this, lock/mage is probably going to be the scariest thing in the game next patch (and things like ele/lock, warrior/lock and dk/lock too probably)