The new Orc Chieftain.

Story Forum
No one can strip Thrall of his powers except the Elemental Spirits, and they still answer to him.

Him dying wouldn't accomplish anything. If Thrall lives out the rest of his days after the Siege teaching growing younglings about Shamanism and Orcish Culture as he learned, his life is a life worth living.

I would like to see him live out his life as basically a humble nobody with no political power who teaches young orcs but is still tortured by his decision to appoint Garrosh. I don't mind those kind of characters, pretty powerful/strong character who live out their lives in obscurity trying to repent.
Wow, what is with people wishing harm to Thrall?

He's a good guy. And frankly, though his decision to appoint Garrosh seems like it was a mistake on the surface--and yeah, it probably was--it might in fact have been a route that the Horde, and Garrosh himself, had to go down in order to finally and truly define their place in Azeroth and cement their own culture, one truly detached from the horrible legacy of the burning legion and the demonic taint.

There's a saying from an old play: "sometimes you have to go a long distance out of your way to come back a short distance correctly." This might apply to the Orcs, and the Horde itself generally.

Thrall was many things, but an idiot, or a bad judge of character he wasn't. I find it hard to swallow that his choice of Garrosh was truly a "my bad" moment.

That being said, I do not want to see him in the Warchief role or any prominent leadership role again. Not because he'd be bad at it, but because I like to see characters evolve and mature, and him seeking a more simple life to live out the rest of his days as a teacher and shaman befits a great man like him.
I want Thrall dead not just because of his decision to appoint Garrosh, that's a minor detail honestly that is more of a catalyst in my mind.
I'd like it to be Saurfang.

In fact, I'm having trouble thinking of anyone else of appropriate stature. Drek'thar is blind and crippled, and, while I love Rexxar, he's more suited to being a loner.
Thrall has a family now, family is like a 1# priority.
However now he realizes his family will be threaten if Garrosh remains in power so he is going to help right his own wrong.
Yes, he turned away from the Horde in Cataclysm but how many "heroes" have turned away from something for love (or a more important calling) in other stories?
Can't blame a guy for wanting a normal life.
Thrall has a family now, family is like a 1# priority.

The Horde is family, or at least that seems to be the new motto among the Horde.
I have a feeling Thrall will become High Shaman of the Clans, like Ner'zhul was on Draenor.

Yes, and I like this, even though I don't want to see Thrall as Warchief. He's uniquely qualified to be High Shaman.

If Thrall is High Shaman it might be possible for Garrosh to remain as Warchief, though that will depend a great deal on what is actually up with him---that is, has he learnt any lessons about moderation, and has he figured out how to keep from being overwhelmed by the various shas---and exactly what happens during the seige of Orgrimmar.

It was my understanding that Garrosh has only ever been "acting" Warchief, and the real Warchief is still Thrall.
Hard to choose a new Orc leader when so many are going to die horribly in 5.4. I assume Thrall will still be alive, but so many of the others will probably fall pointlessly.
05/05/2013 01:56 AMPosted by Trilliam
I have a feeling Thrall will become High Shaman of the Clans, like Ner'zhul was on Draenor.

Yes, and I like this, even though I don't want to see Thrall as Warchief. He's uniquely qualified to be High Shaman.

If Thrall is High Shaman it might be possible for Garrosh to remain as Warchief, though that will depend a great deal on what is actually up with him---that is, has he learnt any lessons about moderation, and has he figured out how to keep from being overwhelmed by the various shas---and exactly what happens during the seige of Orgrimmar.

It was my understanding that Garrosh has only ever been "acting" Warchief, and the real Warchief is still Thrall.

To be perfectly honest, I could see Rexxar or some other dark horse candidate becoming Warchief before Garrosh stays on regardless of why Garrosh is doing what he's doing and whether or not he learns any lessons. And since Blizzard has confirmed he's acting of his own free will as late as 5.2, outright possession isn't possible.

Garrosh has simply made too many people too angry to retain the throne under any circumstances. The Horde rebels hate him for leading the Horde back down a dark path, and the Alliance wants justice for a dozen different attacks he's made on them (most notably Theramore).
05/05/2013 12:34 PMPosted by Falrinn
Garrosh has simply made too many people too angry to retain the throne under any circumstances. The Horde rebels hate him for leading the Horde back down a dark path, and the Alliance wants justice for a dozen different attacks he's made on them (most notably Theramore).

This seems most likely. Though it should be said that simply dethroning the man doesn't necessarily require him to be condemned to death; in my mind it would be great, great shame if they simply killed off one of the last Orcs of Draenor.

He should be striped of rank, surely.
He should be publicly punished, absolutely.
He should be legally restricted, certainly.

But should one of the greatest military commanders the Horde has be outright killed for causing more harm than good? I don't know, but if steering the nation into a poor direction is punishable by death then we'd probably have executed a half-dozen or so Presidents of the United States (jury is still out on the one sitting in office today).
But should one of the greatest military commanders the Horde has be outright killed for causing more harm than good? I don't know, but if steering the nation into a poor direction is punishable by death then we'd probably have executed a half-dozen or so Presidents of the United States (jury is still out on the one sitting in office today).

Garrosh hasn't merely steered the Horde in the wrong direction. We aren't talking about the difference between Carter and Reagan here, we are talking about the difference between either of those two and Stalin. It's a completely different scale.

And even if the Horde was willing to grant Garrosh some measure of clemency, that doesn't mean the Alliance will be.
05/05/2013 04:34 PMPosted by Falrinn
Garrosh hasn't merely steered the Horde in the wrong direction. We aren't talking about the difference between Carter and Reagan here, we are talking about the difference between either of those two and Stalin. It's a completely different scale.

I only thing that is even remotely Stalin-like, that I can think of, is how he chooses to handle the Darkspear Rebels... but the fact that he makes such a choice after war is openly declared makes it only a vague comparison at best as Stalin opted for all of his deeds not to defend against rebels but to keep his neighbors weak and subjugated.

I'd say a more apt comparison would be to say he's a little bit like both George Washington and Benjamin Franklin; he has similar resolve as the former, being able to do anything and everything to provide safety and liberty to his constituents, as well as the ethnocentrism of the latter, believing his own particular variety (i.e. Orc) to be of utmost importance.

Clarification: I'm not saying he's necessarily virtuous, as many people envision both Washington and Franklin as being, but rather the traits he displays are perfectly sought after by leaders from all walks of life and are not necessarily "bad" in any way, shape or form on their own.

I wouldn't say they are all joining the rebels for "going down a dark path" the Tauren and Trolls yes maybe but the Blood Elves, Forsaken and Goblins? Garrosh ticked them off. That's why they are rebeling.
how about Jorin Deadeye?

True, he hasn't done anything....

Might be the perfect candidate.
Thrall's the logical choice, so long as he's not the Warchief.

It's been made blatantly clear that, yes, Thrall was wrong, his hopes did not pan out, and his high-minded ideas about how great Garrosh would be fell flat on their face.

Kind of feel that humbles his enough to make him a decent character again.

Now if only Malfurion ended up accountable for his actions, instead of murdering the people he failed, sweeping them under the rug, then dusting his hands off thusly and proclaiming that, "Boy, howdy, it sure is a good thing that crazy, irrational, man-was-she-just-completely-out-of-left-field-on-all-counts lady is now dead!"
Garrosh: Though unlikely I can see it as a possibility, especially since Blizz has conveniently not stated he will die (yet?).

Dead or not, they confirmed he will be deposed. :P

My money's on Saurfang as the new Orc leader.

It won't. No one is petty enough to blame him except for the Night Elves. Everyone is focused on what Garrosh has done.

I would like to see him live out his life as basically a humble nobody with no political power who teaches young orcs but is still tortured by his decision to appoint Garrosh. I don't mind those kind of characters, pretty powerful/strong character who live out their lives in obscurity trying to repent.

I agree with this.

Thrall's the logical choice, so long as he's not the Warchief.

It's been made blatantly clear that, yes, Thrall was wrong, his hopes did not pan out, and his high-minded ideas about how great Garrosh would be fell flat on their face.

Yes, but there is a problem with him in any leadership role. He can't be a group leader without feeling like he is the Warchief again. As the former Warchief and founder of the Horde, you can't really put him back in the political circle without him looking like the guy running the show. He is kind of in a place where he needs to be distanced from the power circle.

That and putting him back into the leadership role kind of feels like a lose of a lot of his development. He really needs to go a different path.
My vote is for Eitrigg, Saurfang, or Jorin Deadeye. It'd be nice if Jorin finally got his due credit for saving Garadar while Garrosh moped in his emo corner.