Blizz, dying servers have real people on them

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
I have to speak up. I love this game and have been playing about 7 years. And while I realize nothing will be done, sometimes one simply has to speak up in the face of injustice. It’s a long read; for that I apologize. But it’s written from the heart.

I am a business woman; an accountant actually. I understand much about business. More than most people probably. And I know that what’s best for business is not often best for all customers. But Blizz’s treatment of their customer base defies business and moral logic.

There is business asset called Goodwill and accountants actually list Goodwill on balance sheets. Goodwill adds value to the company. It is an intangible asset, meaning you can’t put a price tag on it easily like you could a fleet of trucks or a warehouse or scores of copy machines or pizza ovens, but nonetheless Goodwill is an asset and has a quantifiable value to a business. It’s like a reputation.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am on the recruitment forums often, looking for raiders for my guild. My guild does not have jaw-dropping progression but it progresses and is comprised mostly of working adults with changing schedules. Thus I have a large turnover rate (as do many semi-casual raiding guilds). Most of the recruits I find are from very low-pop servers and these players have no way to hope for progression raiding on their servers. The raiding guilds simply don’t exist on their dying servers. They can’t even build pugs for world bosses. Fortunately I’m on a server that is active therefore I can attract these players.

Blizz has done these customers on low-pop servers a great disservice and is not rectifying the situation.

Let me give you an analogy as to how I see how Blizz is handling this very serious issue with its customers.

This is hypothetical but I hope you can see the similarities.

(1) ME: I have a 25 man guild I’m going to cut back to 10. It will be much less management headaches for me – I need a break. It’s much easier to manage 10 people than 25. It’s much easier to keep 10 people happy than it is 25. So, I am going to have about 18 raiders who will no longer have a raid slot. They can no longer see the raid content with my guild because I’m no longer allowing them to raid.

BLIZZARD: Has many servers with such low populations that the players can no longer find guilds to join and progress through the content with. These players simply do not have enough people to raid with on their server. Their server is not active enough to allow raiding guilds to exist.

(2) ME: I will not allow any raiders (or their alts) to leave my guild unless they deposit 25k in my guild bank. And furthermore, they must pay for each toon they remove from my guild. So if they have the 25k to get themselves freed up to join a different raiding guild, they cannot bring their alts with them unless they pay me an additional 25k for each alt. The alts sit, inactive, with me unless they can pay to move. Oh, did I mention that my raiders are also required to pay the guild bank 1k a month in order to be able to raid? It’s a monthly fee, required by all members that want to experience all the guild has to offer.

BLIZZARD: They will allow transferring to a different server where the customer can once again raid upon payment of $25 ($30 more for faction transfer) for EACH toon the customer desires to transfer. Most of us raiders have alts for profession needs. Why should they have to pay for toons on the same account to transfer to a different server? Yes they can re-level toons but they leveled those. They want to use them. All are on the same account – yet they have to pay Blizz for every toon on the same account to move to a place where they can experience the content they are paying for. Oh, and btw, did I mention that Blizz requires all subscribers to pay $15 a month in order to enjoy all the game content? However, in order to experience the full banquet of content, the subscriber on a low pop sever must pay additional fees.

(3) ME: Hey, I’m gonna be a nice gal! Those whom I remove from the raiding roster will be allowed to pug raids for their raiding pleasure! They are not doomed to sit and wait for a raid spot to open up but can go raid with whomever they please! However they can’t raid current content or actually join any team they meet up with in a pug unless they pay me 25K to free themselves up to join a different team.

BLIZZARD: Hey, we got CRZ now! Wow players can pop on any server via a friend’s real ID and raid on a server with plenty of people! (Assuming, of course, they have a friend on a busy server). Unfortunately these subscribers can’t raid current content or ever have a stable team to raid with, but they can temporarily hop servers for free and play with different people every night of the week! Just can’t get into current content or have familar teams to depend upon, or a raiding guild that cares about their raiding enjoyment, but what raider would care about that? This isn't a social game is it?

BLIZZARD: Hey we got lfr now! Players can run 25-contnet any time they want! The thrill of raiding is simply a queue away! Unfortunately not one of those in lfr care about one another’s enjoyment of the raid. Unfortunately not one of those in the lfr group who receives a piece of gear will help other’s on the team progress further next week. Not one person in lfr will say hey man – this would be a great upgrade for you – take it and I’ll get it next time it drops! But by golly, lfr will allow people on dead servers to experience… what? The loneliest way to raid with a group of people that Blizz has ever invented.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Am I being fair to the raiders in my guild by requiring them to pay to leave, as well as requiring them to pay to remove their alts while I require them to pay monthly to enjoy what benefits my guild has to offer? And furthermore, am I being fair if I do not let the idle players raid current content or if I force them to be at the mercy of finding a one-night stand raid group which is unlikely to be successful enough to allow them to experience raiding progression?

Is that 25k gold worth to me the unhappiness and unfair treatment of some of my members? I don’t think so. Evidently Blizz does. Throwing money in the vault is not always the prudent course of action. Even an accountant knows this.

How much Goodwill do you think I’ll have on the books of my guild if I follow the above practices? Sooner, rather than later, those remaining in my guild with a raid spot will be demoralized and will realize that they could be in the next group I turn my back on. My actions reflect my lack of respect and concern for my players. I will eventually lose my ability to even field a 10-man team because of my lack of compassion and respect for my teammates.

So goes it for Blizz.

They are rapidly writing off their Goodwill from their books. I am guessing they think their Goodwill balance is so enormous that writing some off is acceptable. They are wrong. Any asset that can be preserved has value. One that has value and is written off is bad accounting and bad business.

Blizz, if you can’t save the servers, save the people on them. They are your Goodwill.
Blizz, if you can’t save the servers

They can though and are working to sove the issue. I would suggest you take a look at a WoW news site/blue tracker to hear what they are saying back to you.

You should also note that they have never said LFD/LFR/CRZ is a fix for low pop realms/factions. They were aimed at solving other issues but do have some effect for people experiencing population issues.
Ah, there is an old cliché, which applies here, and it is so very true.

Actions speak louder than words.

Well, if you want to act like a child crying about something but not listening, I guess that is your right. I prefer to engage with Bliz to make sure the fix to this very complex problem of faction and server populations is the right fix. There is another cliché you might have heard of...

Measure twice, cut once.
I played briefly on a horrible dying server Blizz suggested me for, and I'm with you.

SWTOR-style free transfers to a designated server (designed to maintain and improve faction balance) followed by eventual mergers is the way to go.
Some see smoke, some don't.
What you choose to see is certainly your right. As it is mine.
However those lost in the smoke often become disoriented and think they hear crying.
Be careful of the sounds you follow while blinded.
What is it with all these proverbs and sayings

Some adice you should listen to as well. Hate, anger, mistrust, and listening to the tinfoil hat club can blind one far more than any smoke.

I played briefly on a horrible dying server Blizz suggested me for, and I'm with you.

SWTOR-style free transfers to a designated server (designed to maintain and improve faction balance) followed by eventual mergers is the way to go.

Except one thing, ToR dies shuch a rapid death, they they can afford to slap a ban aid on it and call it a day. WoW'd demize is going to take longer...at least another decade.
05/12/2013 02:37 AMPosted by Solaru

Some adice you should listen to as well. Hate, anger, mistrust, and listening to the tinfoil hat club can blind one far more than any smoke.

Except one thing, ToR dies shuch a rapid death, they they can afford to slap a ban aid on it and call it a day. WoW'd demize is going to take longer...at least another decade.

SWTOR has recovered strongly after their server mergers and F2P move.

If you hadn't heard, they just announced 500,000 subs, 2 million other players and the highest revenue ever, higher than when they had 1.5 million subs, because of the cash shop. And unlike WoW, SWTOR isn't big in China - those are mainly Western numbers.

I repeat: server mergers worked spectacularly well for SWTOR and Blizz should copy what they did.

I dunno.

I have to say I can't just take Blizzard's word on it.

It's not gonna kill them to give us some information once in a while.

While I'm not going to rant and rave about them not doing anything, their tendency to keep us completely in the dark can be frustrating.

They only thing they've really told us about their solution is "Hey guys we're doing a thing."

Well, if you want to act like a child crying about something but not listening, I guess that is your right. I prefer to engage with Bliz to make sure the fix to this very complex problem of faction and server populations is the right fix. There is another cliché you might have heard of...

Measure twice, cut once.

We have all heard about blizzard saying they are on a solution yes, but we have also all made fun of the term "Soon TM." After all this time until they tell us their plan or what they are planning to do I'm going to assume, and logically so, that low pop servers is at the very bottom of their list if at all

edit"
I have to say I can't just take Blizzard's word on it.

While I'm not going to rant and rave about them not doing anything, their tendency to keep us completely in the dark can be frustrating.

They only thing they've really told us about their solution is "Hey guys we're doing a thing."

pretty much this
I repeat: server mergers worked spectacularly well for SWTOR and Blizz should copy what they did.

...and they are still a band-aid. Eventually they will need to be done again (and with WoW, several times).

05/12/2013 02:39 AMPosted by Dliver
And unlike WoW, SWTOR isn't big in China

Maybe you did not hear either, WoW is not that popular in China either thse days ;)

No. That is why they do it. I say, it is not going to kill the playrbase to listen to what they are saying. Blizz mention the possibility of merging the AHs on low pop realms and low pop factions to solve the economic issues 8 months ago. I am finally hearing the players comment about the idea on the forums and provide feedback. People complain that it take Blizz so long to do things, maybe they should engage them more.
I am finally hearing the players comment about the idea on the forums and provide feedback. People complain that it take Blizz so long to do things, maybe they should engage them more.

I was under the impression that players were constantly commenting and providing feedback.

Perhaps not always in the most constructive way, but it's there.

And it's good that they've given us some idea on some things they might be planning to do.

But eight months... kind of a long time to be silent for, in my opinion.

20 lies spring up while the truth is being uncovered.
I was under the impression that players were constantly commenting and providing feedback.
They can not provide feedback when they do not listen as to what Blizz is wanting feedback on.

But eight months... kind of a long time to be silent for, in my opinion.
I totally agree. The playerbase should have given feedback all along on CRAHs an the other ideas Blizz has been putting forward...constantly.

Measure twice, cut once.

blizzard has said that the CRZ would fix low pop as well as lower raid sizes concerning not enough people seeing raid content. The funny thing is, is that even though these things were implemented, they didn't live up to the hype blizz put behind them, 25 man raids and 10 man raids didn't help more people see content and CRZ didn't help low-pop servers. Stop being dramatic and actually attempt to hold a conversation instead of being rude and childish please. Thank you.
05/12/2013 03:31 AMPosted by Freaver
blizzard has said that the CRZ would fix low pop

Funny because they made this post just 2 weeks after CRZ hit beta...
We do realise that this system does not address all of the issues affecting low population and faction imbalanced realms
http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/206388-low-populated-unbalanced-servers/

Thanks for proving my point about players not listening to Blizzard at all.
05/12/2013 01:32 AMPosted by Solaru
Blizz, if you can’t save the servers

They can though and are working to sove the issue. I would suggest you take a look at a WoW news site/blue tracker to hear what they are saying back to you.

You should also note that they have never said LFD/LFR/CRZ is a fix for low pop realms/factions. They were aimed at solving other issues but do have some effect for people experiencing population issues.

Cross realm zones are an abject failure. They have further alienated people from their own communities, and have absolutely ruined world PVP with the lag inherent in the system.

Too unimaginative to come up with unique thoughts?