Question about Professions for a Hunter

New Player Help and Guides
Hello Everyone,

I've been looking around on these forums and a lot of people recommend getting engineering as as one of the professions for a hunter. I currently have skinning and leatherworking and I've already leveled up skinning to close to 400 (so I don't really feel like starting over). Are these professions I've picked useful or is it worth it to change? If I had to change professions, I would like to do it before I get too high of a level if it's anything like skinning (because it was really easy to level while questing).
Any advice would be appreciated.
Your skinning is high enough to power level LW to the point where you can make useful gear. I'd do that.

Engineering is only moderately useful for any class. It's more so for hunters due to guns but basically, it's all about the toys. It would take you a long time to level engineering/mining to the point where you could make gear that was actually useful - like helms and level appropriate weapons.
What have been the reasons given for taking Engineering? I remember it used to be handy when we still had to purchase ammo, because they could make their own buckshot and such pretty easily.

The guns tend to be replaced too quickly for it to be worth the effort, and the more useful scopes can be found in the AH or made by friends/guildmates. Many of the gadgets and explosives can be useful though, but they can benefit any class. It's definitely not the most profitable profession, and it can be quite expensive to level -- you'd want to switch to Mining to supply your own mats (it's possible to catch up the mining in an evening), or sell a lot of skins to afford buying the mats from the AH. I had a lot of the extra non-ore mats squirreled away in my alts' banks, like elemental motes and gems, and plenty of funding when necessary, and without either I know it would have been a lot more difficult.

LW will be a pain too though, mostly once you start needing heavy and rugged leather (like, 10+ just for one item, and a few stacks to reach the next recipe, it can be awful), but you could at least farm up your own mats. Another option is to drop LW for Mining, and just sell everything you gather, keep the more rare items like gems, and when you're closer to level cap, buy the mats for one or both professions and power-level them.

(edit) and yeah, Engineering's more about the toys -- many of which are useful, but not necessarily for combat (<3 Jeeves). So far, I've had two pairs of goggles I actually made AND used for leveling, the ones I'm wearing now, and some I made during the Northrend stretch. Most everything else has either been vendored, or mailed to my enchanter to DE. Or thrown at something to make it blow up.
If you are reading advice about end-game raiding, you may be seeing the suggestion of engineering as a profession. All of the crafting professions offer a SLIGHT advantage to DPS over the gathering professions at the raiding level. Unless you are in one of the very high end raiding guilds in the world, it is unlikely that you will see any difference in your performance from one profession to another.

I recommend you take whichever secondary professions are most enjoyable to you. All offer different benefits and opportunities for gear, gadgets, enhancements or profits.
Thanks for the responses everyone, I'll definitely keep skinning for now. One more question, I've noticed that I'm picking up and using mostly mail armor and I was wondering if I would be able to craft anything useful with leatherworking that would give me an advantage over mail. (So far it seems mail has a higher defense etc. than leather does).
05/15/2013 03:20 PMPosted by Akrash
I was wondering if I would be able to craft anything useful with leatherworking that would give me an advantage over mail.

Actually, once you get your leatherworking high enough (around 205 skill level), you'll be able to make mail items as well as leather.

You definitely want mail items, especially since at level 50, you learned a passive ability that gives an extra bonus to your best stat for wearing all mail. :)
You also want just Agility, Strength/Intellect/Spirit no longer benefit hunters -- some weird Agi/Str stuff still pops up in Outland, but you only want to watch the Agility part. The armor rating doesn't matter as much since hunters avoid close-range combat.

IIRC some of the mail gear that can be crafted when you first reach Outland is pretty good for starting out, and it'll be the same for the other expansion areas (Northrend at 68+, Cata zones at 80, Pandaria at 85). The trick is having your LW caught up to that point when the gear will actually be useful.

If you're questing in Nagrand, the quest "Gurok the Usurper" will give you an amulet upgrade, but you can also check the AH (or a guildmate who has Jewelcrafting) for Necklace of the Deep and a couple Delicate Bloodstone. If you can find those cheap, that necklace would tide you through much of the 70's.
Thanks for the advice everyone!
If you are reading advice about end-game raiding, you may be seeing the suggestion of engineering as a profession. All of the crafting professions offer a SLIGHT advantage to DPS over the gathering professions at the raiding level. Unless you are in one of the very high end raiding guilds in the world, it is unlikely that you will see any difference in your performance from one profession to another.

I recommend you take whichever secondary professions are most enjoyable to you. All offer different benefits and opportunities for gear, gadgets, enhancements or profits.

Whichever primary professions, you mean?

Engineering in particular is frequently recommended in end-game raiding guides over other crafting professions because its stat bonus comes in the form of an on-use tinker that grants a high amount of stats for a short period of time, and so can be used together with cooldowns (such as Bestial Wrath or Rapid Fire) for greater effect, while the other professions generally grant smaller but static bonuses. That said, the difference between Engineering and other crafting professions are even smaller than the difference between crafting and gathering professions, and is entirely irrelevant before the level cap.

Whichever primary professions, you mean?

I did mean that, thank you.