1.3 MILLION subscribers lost

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 176 Next
Defending the poor design choices Blizzard has made sure as hell isn't going to make the last LONGER...

You can't say they left because of design decisions. So don't speak for others. I don't know why left but we shouldn't be arguing here. We should be trying to make the game better not debate stuff.
Mainly from the east. I wonder how many were goldsellers/botters.
05/08/2013 01:34 PMPosted by Jazrozi
Not to white knight Blizzard necessarily, but I am wondering how much of it is just the fact that MMOs, and pay-to-play MMOs in particular, are going the way of the dinosaur.

That is hard to believe. One of the strongest things in any game is a community, and MMO's keep their community together better than any other game genre because the availability of its players is paramount, inside the game, and not in chat rooms.

MMO's aren't for everyone but I fail to see how MMO's in general are failing, or even why.

MMO Fatigue? The fact that there is a growing divide in gamer demographics... I know its anecdotal, but when I was 13 I played on PC. My 13 year old cousins and neighbor's kids who are 13~15 do all their gaming via damn microtransaction games on iPad or tablet...

Look at how practically all "WoW Killers" have basically flopped... I think if there is a future in "gains" in MMOs it will be smaller, more homebrewed types of games. Not gigantic studio productions.
Um, wow, no way to sugar coat losing 15%+ of subs in one quarter.
You can't fully pin this on GC or any of the devs. This is an old game and I'd argue that most of the players that started in Vanilla or TBC have either left or play sparingly now. But.....

The devs can be blamed for taking away much of the forced grouping that was a cornerstone of MMO's. For all the chatter about only 2% of the player base seeing Sunwell and Naxx or how so many players were disenfranchised because of the old end game system it was also the era that drove the highest growth in the game.

Forced socialization and grouping may be anathema to the modern gamer but there's a deep rooted psychological element to that design that promotes addiction which leads to more players playing, logging in and subbing. The more the game moves to a solo friendly end game the less pressure there is to log on so as to stay current with your friends and guildies.

I won't try to argue that the old model was healthy from a personal standpoint but it was far healthier for the game. I think the internal pressure from Activision to maintain the growth we saw from Vanilla through early Wrath has made the devs introduce a lot of design elements that bring in short term "soccer mom" types but have hurt the game as a whole.

Badge Gear, 10/25 Normalization, removal of all group content in the open world and LFD/LFR have all hurt the game more than they've helped.
You missed something, here is a quote from mmo-chamipn: "Most of the loss came from the East once again.". I guess the game is not for them anymore.
It's called 8.3 million worldwide. Don't be conceited like your region is the only one.

So NA wow is dead and China is playing now? =s
The point may not to be the biggest, but rather, the one that thrives.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/activision-blizzard-announces-better-than-expected-first-quarter-2013-financial-results-2013-05-08

The lead designers' wisdom is clearly in question now.

One observation I'd like to make, is the genius behind Ghostcrawler's own observation that wow is weak as a solo-player game, while putting out a ton of solo-player daily quest content.
GJ :)
without clicking on the link... the link itself says "better than expected first quarter"

Doesn't sound like bad news.
I have been preaching it since cata been announced, they should have have made and rts and given us a huge lore dump and characters that we could get behind. Something to help us focus the narrative, as it stands a lot of people still feel that with arthas defeat was the end if the game. Deathwing felt tacked on and a paper champion.

Wow was different because it had a world building rts before it, they should have introduced the new threat mandatorirly via a new rts game then it would have narrow our view on what needs to happens and anticipates a new end evil.

Instead they went the regular mmo route, yes it an xpac and it has a new land about new creatures but I that's it, no one really cares about the panda or twilight cultist. I fell asleep killing deathwing at one point, Arthas and Illidian always had my attention.

Since wow is trying to go the mmo route l, they are dying like one too.

Maybe, making WC4 would have worked better. But you must realize the difference in making an expansion vs. a whole new game from the ground up. People already didn't like killing Deathwing for a year, add an extra 2 - 3 years for WC4 and WoW may very well not exist.

Also, why does everyone want WoW2 so bad? Unless they allow you to carry your characters over I'm not seeing the draw.
Wow's quest content is weak because 2+ people make it utterly trivial, but grouping and teamwork is discouraged in many elements of questing. If we don't have some kind of natural grouping system like GW2 by next expansion, I don't see how WoW is going to survive. There's just no magic in the world anymore - no amount of awesome landscape is gonna fix it. The world has to be filled with people I'm excited to play with, not losers who are going to steal my kills, my nodes, and my quest items.

^ This. Time for WoW to foster cooperation between players. Nothing is more frustrating than competition for resources, mobs, quest drops, ect...People sit on their mounts and just wait for mobs to spawn. How is that fun or good design?
05/08/2013 01:37 PMPosted by Aeluron
Defending the poor design choices Blizzard has made sure as hell isn't going to make the last LONGER...

You can't say they left because of design decisions. So don't speak for others. I don't know why left but we shouldn't be arguing here. We should be trying to make the game better not debate stuff.

Don't you know, the only reason to stop playing Wow is because it's a sucky game, It's not because you as a human being change, or your tastes change or your responsibilities have changed or anything realistic like that, 1.3 million people left the game for the same exact reason.
I'm guessing mostly in Asia.

They said most of them were from the East. Still, that is a lot of subs.
Funny how sub losses are always because "the format is dying," but gains are always because the game is good.

Where's the line between "dying format" and "bad game development"? 30% loss in active subs? 50%?
Badge Gear, 10/25 Normalization, removal of all group content in the open world and LFD/LFR have all hurt the game more than they've helped.

lfr certainly helped. LFR is not meant for raiders who have a lot of excess time to spend.
Eight year old game, with "highly stylized graphics" (ie low res to remain compatible with most current "average" gaming systems) still has more subs and income that all other MMOs combined... yeah, World of Warcraft isn't going anywhere soon.

Yes, there is room for improvement, but the only real "threat" to WoW is Titan.