Am I doing something wrong?assassination spec

Rogue
Been practicing my dps on the test dummies and I'm a bit curious if I'm hitting the right dps for my gear, or if I'm behind where I should be.

On a test dummy with nothing but my passive attack speed buff and deadly/leeching poision, I'm at a steady 56k-57k (It varries a little bit depending on how lucky I am with both Rupture crits and Blindside procs) I have a 490 ilvl with 2 pieces of pvp gear and some gear that is not at all itemized for an assassination spec (I get what I can take for the gear).

I usually start off stealth'd and open up with garrote so that Venomous Wounds can start ticking right away (I also use shadow focus so this doesn't cos any energy). I then use slice and dice followed by vendetta and then shadow blades before the GCD is over. Then I get a 5 point rupture followed by a 5 point envenom. Then I use nothing but 5 point envenoms while not overlapping the buff from envenom. If Rupture is about 7-8 seconds from falling off then I wait off on using envenom until Rupture is finished, I'f I'm about to be energy capped I use a mutilate or 2 and bank the points with anticipation.

Am I doing something wrong or is 56k-57k with no buffs on a test dummy at par for my ilvl?
leeching poision,

Nope. Don't use that !@#$.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0keQOBk0VvM
I'm talking purely for PvE dps. Don't think it makes a difference as long as im using deadly.
Are you keeping rupture and slice and dice up?
yeah
just used http://shadowcraft.mmo-mumble.com/us/zuluhed/velorendis/#!/hZLbbsIwDIbfJdfRlHScqv8KdrqYtoFYxVBVITJKT0uLSkFoT7+/NBO7mIQrO67tz3akhFqKam4Br0GhesgXdwCq529GErRiTzvo7QHegckXXMSeGmg/hWfPVEfayeRMtqX5Ytn2CrSLLF0DO/4gWMEhKGeBa1nuMmaOXcvzrPLVJ73tBo6n9MedP9k7pgqKX+99Sjr/Q9uGu/v3bt+v+eWnEyF5/bWQwlNaK4+OCUYwQR8mfaA+ChkKw7BWFJcXV5BIhqFW0o+I7eGj/9aO8p9aO8Ng4SaHSv77EUMPGn14MLilfqLABgmjhtENBjx96pCZEStj5rfMG6xpC6S0Gc8cSbu/TVfxaRfXTbaPV/W6ycpkVR3jus42sZDqZsgXcKXkNuJWvKqIfgA= and it says im at about the right mark. the dps its telling me to do is obviously gonna be off by a bit depending on how lucky with procs i am.
I think it is the pvp gear pieces which aren't optimal for pve. Additionally, your mastery is rather low for a 490 ilvl assassin. Poison dmg is the majority of your damage as an assassin and mastery is the main stat for increasing it.
is my rotation any good?
The rotation you've described is fine. Basically everything you've described sounds fine, actually, unless I'm missing something.

You may want to consider saving your combat logs, uploading them to World of Logs and then examining them directly or using a tool like CompareBot (http://raidbots.com/comparebot/) to see how you're doing on the big-ticket things: SnD uptime, Rupture uptime and the like.
Don't use target dummy DPS as a show for how you're doing.

Do an LFR, then do what Rfeann said.
Well my dps has gone up a bit and is closer to what shadowcraft tells me I should be at. I made some modifications to my rotation and now open with a stealthed mutilate (75% reduced energy) followed my rupture regardless of my CP and then a mutilate and SnD regardless of my CP. then I use Mut for 5 point envenoms and reapply rupture when it runs out regardless my CP instead of waiting for 5.
Just don't spam Mutilate. Make sure you either get (or don't get) a Blindside proc before you Mutilate again.

That's really the only big difference between it and Cata.

It actually adds up pretty quickly if you're wasting Blindside procs -- which makes sense, they're Energy free dmg on a spec that has plenty of globals to spare.

Well my dps has gone up a bit and is closer to what shadowcraft tells me I should be at. I made some modifications to my rotation and now open with a stealthed mutilate (75% reduced energy) followed my rupture regardless of my CP and then a mutilate and SnD regardless of my CP. then I use Mut for 5 point envenoms and reapply rupture when it runs out regardless my CP instead of waiting for 5.

Opening with Mut seems like a waste of a whole bunch of CPs to me. It means you're putting up a 2 or 3 point SnD (which is a waste), plus you're forced to Rupture early.

Open with Garrote > SnD > Mutilate (check for Blindside proc) > Mutilate/Blindside > Envenom.

After that it's just simple maintenance of Rupture and Envenom buffs. If you really want to maximize your DPS, you'll want to track the Envenom buff. Don't Envenom with it up unless you're going to hit or go over 10 CPs. You can clip the last second, the DoT/buff extension mechanics work with it.

Basically, Assassination is maximizing the up time of Rupture and Envenom without wasting Blindside procs.

P.S. You're DPS will also be higher in raids. We do have an Execute phase -- that's rather large.

EDIT: Also -- Make sure you have Mastery on every single piece of gear. If a piece doesn't have Mastery reforge to it, even if it makes you lose stats like hit and expertise (and try to make those stats up elsewhere -- like pulling Crit off a Mastery/Crit item you may have).

Open with Garrote > SnD > Mutilate (check for Blindside proc) > Mutilate/Blindside > Envenom.

After that it's just simple maintenance of Rupture and Envenom buffs. If you really want to maximize your DPS, you'll want to track the Envenom buff. Don't Envenom with it up unless you're going to hit or go over 10 CPs. You can clip the last second, the DoT/buff extension mechanics work with it.

Thanks :) That's really what my old rotation was but I see what icy-veins was talking about with opening with mut instead of garrote. Opening with mut means you need to go with rupture before SnD which gives your venomous more time to proc (since it procs more with rupture then with garrote) and does more damage. I'm gonna do more testing and going back n forth with garote and mut as an opener.
This is *really* splitting hairs, though. We (by which I mostly mean Aeriwen and Fierydemise) recently tried to work through the opener here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8770047002?page=5#84 (also see post #93 on that page)

But the bottom line is, if you think you've got overarching DPS issues and that you're not performing as well as you should, your choice of openers almost certainly has absolutely nothing to do with that. It's not where anybody should reasonably be focusing their time if they want to make major improvements to their damage output in raids.
If you are talking about PVE you should never use Garrote. It only ticks every three seconds whereas Rupture ticks every two seconds.
If you are talking about PVE you should never use Garrote. It only ticks every three seconds whereas Rupture ticks every two seconds.

This.
If your armory is representative of your PvE setup switch your Offhand with your mainhand weapon. If you want to see some immediate results, cough up some gold and get 2x dancing steel, that will increase your dps by a bit.

I would also recommend searching for better trinkets. Save up your valor for the shadowpan assault trinket. If you can find a raid, try and get bottle of infinite stars, even the raid finder one might be better than what you have.