Question about 5.3 EXP...

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
So before there was a quote from Blizzard...

Experience needed to increase from level 85 to level 90 has been reduced by 33%.

Scenario 1:

Before the patch:
Character has 50/200 xp, xp bar shows 25% progress to next level.

After the patch:
Character has 50/100 xp, xp bar shows 50% progress to next level.

Scenario 2:

Before the patch:
Character has 102/200 xp, xp bar shows 51% progress to next level.

After the patch:
Character has 102/100 xp, and will level as soon as they gain an experience point.

Let me know if that helps.

So my question is this... What EXP and Level would you need to be at... (IE: Level 88 and 3/4) for when 5.3 comes out, to instantly hit 90? I completely hate Dread Wastes.

I know that I need gear, and Dread Wastes has good drops, but I hate leveling there.

So anyone able to do the math.. It seems that the WowWiki EXP Table isn't accurate.
It doesn't work that way, actually. It drops your progress to 1 point short of leveling to prevent exactly what you're trying to do.
I suspect it will be a percentage thing.

If you are 40% toward your next level, after the patch you will still be 40% toward your next level.

Example:
Pre patch you have 120XP out of 300 needed.
After patch you have 80XP out of 200 needed.

Still at 40% but you only need 120 more instead of 180 more.
You'd have to be level 89, and 66% of the way to 90. And still gain one experience point after the patch.
Something... still doesn't seem right...

From the Blizzard post... the amount of EXP you GAINED will not change..

IE: 102 / 200 EXP ... 102 / 100 EXP

So the EXP doesn't change...

So.. if the EXP that you NEED gets changed, and the amount you HAVE doesn't change, wouldn't that mean you'd get a TON of progression towards your levels?

Does anyone else see that? Please?
My guess is you need to be 50% into lvl 89 to be 90 when 5.3 hits. Yes, you'll still have to get 1 xp to level up though, but that won't be much of a problem.
If you are at 88 and 99%, after 5.3 and after getting 1 exp you will be at 89 and 30 (or so) %

If you are at 89 and 67%, after 5.3 and after getting 1 exp you will be at 90
See... I am seeing the math in a different light though...

Here is what i see... and these are complete fabrications of what the real EXP is..

Example..

Level 85 - 86 = 1,000,000
Level 86 - 87 = 2,000,000
Level 87 - 88 = 3,000,000
Level 88 - 89 = 4,000,000
Level 89 - 90 = 5,000,000

All of that equals: 15,000,000.

Now.. if they are reducing all EXP from 85 to 90 bu 33%..

We take 15,000,00 and minus 33%... Which would be... 4.950,000 EXP

Which would mean...

That I would BARELY be into Level 89, and it would be me 1 EXP shy from 90.

Again these numbers are completely fabricated, Does anyone have any actual numbers of EXP per level? Again, the WoWWiki table seems to reflect numbers that aren't accurate. And to top it off, I don't have a ALT at each level span to test this theory out.
Tranquil, its not a combined number.

It is not 66% of 15,000,000.
It is 66% of 1,000,000 + 66% of 2,000,000,.... etc

The end number is the nearly exactly the same, but the process is completely different. It makes it modular and easier to change/manipulate by Blizzard

As for the Numbers, wowwiki is severely outdated, dont use it. all their main contributors left to join WoWPedia when Wikia forced their changes to the wowwiki site. all the pages are named the same, so just change wowwiki.com to wowpedia.org. For example:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Experience_to_level#Experience_to_level_by_level
http://www.wowpedia.org/Experience_to_level#Experience_to_level_by_level
The sites you posted still seem to be off by just a little... I am on my Shaman right now, who is 88, and he needs 22,880,000 to hit 89... WowPedia says 27,300,000. I know it's a fractional margin, but still not accurate.

Now while both sets of math come out to be an almost exact same amount of EXP... my question still stands... if I am sitting at 89 and 5% will it push me to pretty much level 90? (IE: My post above)

If we are doing your math... and it's 66% (67%) of whatever your current level is... then this is what I see... (taken from WoWPedia)

Level 85 - 86 = 13,000,000 (~8,580,000 less 33%)
Level 86 - 87 = 15,080,000 (~9,952,800 less 33%)
Level 87 - 88 = 22,600,000 (~14,916,000 less 33%)
Level 88 - 89 = 27,300,000 (~18,018,000 less 33%)
Level 89 - 90 = 32,800,000 (~21,648,000 less 33%)

If we add up all the EXP taken away from the equation...

Pre 5.3 Total EXP = 110,780,000
Post 5.3 Total EXP = 74,118,000 (difference of 36,662,200)

If 36.6 million EXP is taken away from the END total EXP. AND the amount of EXP already gained doesn't get affected; which has already been stated by a BLUE. If we went by the logic you said... I would only have to be approx. 4 Million EXP from 89 to be 1 EXP shy of 90 after 5.3 Hits. If that is true, then I would never need to step into Dread Wastes at all. Which sounds better than the math I did before.

My method came out to be a shy bit different...

Total EXP - 33% = New Total EXP
110,780,000 - 33% = 73,114,800 (difference of 37,665,200)

Which would mean again, I would be like 5-10% 'BEFORE' I hit 89, to make me hit 90.

But another question arises... Will EXP trickle over like that? Or will the EXTRA EXP be wasted? Is it something i'd want to hit 89 for? So that I don't lose out? Please advise.

I don't want to do work that Blizzard is going to do for me... No offense Blizzard... I've done this rodeo now 6 times... a FREE level ain't going to hurt anyone.

I don't know which is the right answer, but some clarity from someone higher up may make me feel better... Please? Maybe a nice pug puppy-dog or a Floating Skull? I have a few toons who are getting near the Dread Wastes area, and i'd like to avoid it if possible.
So I guess this is dead now :(
I don't think it will go off what you already have, but will go off what you will need to get to go next level , so instead of needing like 1000, you will now only need 660 xp.
I don't think it will go off what you already have, but will go off what you will need to get to go next level , so instead of needing like 1000, you will now only need 660 xp.

While I see that being a possibility, wouldn't that basically screw over the amount of EXP you have previously got in previous levels?

From how I saw the BLUE post, the extra EXP would trickle over... or at least that is what I see when 102/100 is posted. That extra 2 EXP would carry into the next level? Wouldn't it?

I got 2 level 89's right now... and I am curious to know if I should keep working on them or wait till 5.3. I wish I had more of a definitive answer on this topic.
05/17/2013 01:35 PMPosted by Tranquil

While I see that being a possibility, wouldn't that basically screw over the amount of EXP you have previously got in previous levels?

From how I saw the BLUE post, the extra EXP would trickle over... or at least that is what I see when 102/100 is posted. That extra 2 EXP would carry into the next level? Wouldn't it?

I got 2 level 89's right now... and I am curious to know if I should keep working on them or wait till 5.3. I wish I had more of a definitive answer on this topic.

While anything is possible... they have reduced experience for levelling a half-dozen times or more over the years, and everytime I can ever recall, it ONLY affected the level that you had in progress. (I don't think anyone ever gained more than one level as a result.)
OP: the exp reduction isn't designed to propel you very far. It's merely meant to make it easier for leveling post-change.

If you are lvl 87 and and have only 68% of your exp to 88, after the change if the raw numbers would have put you over 88, Blizz stops you at 1 point shy of 88 to keep the kind of exploit you seem to be hinting at from happening. Then, when you level from 88 to 89 the change would make that level quicker and easier to make. Same with 89 to 90.

Even if you're 89 and the drop would put you to 90, they stop you at 1 point shy and make you actual earn that point before you ding.

Clear now?

Edit: typo
So before there was a quote from Blizzard...

Experience needed to increase from level 85 to level 90 has been reduced by 33%.

Scenario 1:

Before the patch:
Character has 50/200 xp, xp bar shows 25% progress to next level.

After the patch:
Character has 50/100 xp, xp bar shows 50% progress to next level.

Scenario 2:

Before the patch:
Character has 102/200 xp, xp bar shows 51% progress to next level.

After the patch:
Character has 102/100 xp, and will level as soon as they gain an experience point.

Let me know if that helps.

So my question is this... What EXP and Level would you need to be at... (IE: Level 88 and 3/4) for when 5.3 comes out, to instantly hit 90? I completely hate Dread Wastes.

I know that I need gear, and Dread Wastes has good drops, but I hate leveling there.

So anyone able to do the math.. It seems that the WowWiki EXP Table isn't accurate.

You will not be given any levels. If anything will happen, it will stop you 1 point shy of 89. You won't be boosted instantly to 90.

And, I don't get it. My mage hit 90 just by questing (did not do a single instance) without ever having to touch Dread Wastes. I wasn't even halfway through Townlong Steppes before I hit 90.
Level with pet battles. 150K to 200K per battle. It goes by fast. I was pulling 5 Million Exp an hour the other day. Started leveling this character last Thursday Evening. Barely played on Tuesday and Wednesday this week. Leveled to 90 last night. Only zone completed through questing was Jade Forest.
OP: the exp reduction isn't designed to propel you very far. It's merely meant to make it easier for leveling post-change.

If you are lvl 87 and and have only 68% of your exp to 88, after the change if the raw numbers would have put you over 88, Blizz stops you at 1 point shy of 88 to keep the kind of exploit you seem to be hinting at from happening. Then, when you level from 88 to 89 the change would make that level quicker and easier to make. Same with 89 to 90.

Even if you're 89 and the drop would put you to 90, they stop you at 1 point shy and make you actual earn that point before you ding.

Clear now?

Edit: typo

While I agree with everything you said, any EXP reduction propels you.. Maybe not amazingly, but it helps.

I am just planning ahead if anything. I don't want to shove 2-3 hours to get all the way through 89 and DING 90... when MAYBE *tin foil hat* 5.3 is this Tuesday. Which would make 33% of what I did, pointless.

I just think it's funky; if what you are saying is actually true, then it wouldn't be advantageous at all to level any toons, because the job is 33% easier come the patch.

You will not be given any levels. If anything will happen, it will stop you 1 point shy of 89. You won't be boosted instantly to 90.

And, I don't get it. My mage hit 90 just by questing (did not do a single instance) without ever having to touch Dread Wastes. I wasn't even halfway through Townlong Steppes before I hit 90.

I know I wont be given any levels... but here is my thing. imagine that you had a character that was 88 and 97%... this patch goes through, and now you're sitting at 88 and 99.99999... (1 EXP needed)... Wouldn't that just suck a lot? I mean, however long it takes you to go from 88 to 89... that extra EXP past 67% into 88 is all wasted... gone... useless effort. This is the main reason I made this post... to see if EXP is getting thrown away or not.

I know I am not going to be 'given' any levels... but if I was 88 and 97%... i'd be pissed if I only got 3%. The EXP totals should trickle over. It seems very fruitless to even consider leveling anyone... or for that matter, leaving all to a level and just keeping them at a LOW % through their levels. So that no EXP gets lost.

While anything is possible... they have reduced experience for leveling a half-dozen times or more over the years, and everytime I can ever recall, it ONLY affected the level that you had in progress. (I don't think anyone ever gained more than one level as a result.)

I too have seen many of these, but here's the thing, when this happened before, all of my toons were already maxed. They EXP reduction comes much earlier to Mists, then any other expansion... so I actually have some toons left to level out.
Level with pet battles. 150K to 200K per battle. It goes by fast. I was pulling 5 Million Exp an hour the other day. Started leveling this character last Thursday Evening. Barely played on Tuesday and Wednesday this week. Leveled to 90 last night. Only zone completed through questing was Jade Forest.

My dear, I would love to know what you're fighting to get THAT much EXP per pet battle. Are you doing Daily Trainers? I've never seen 6 digit numbers off a Pet Battle before. Not since they nerfed it after (i think) 5.2.

Yeah, so IGNORE all of that, each pet battle does give 161k... interesting.
33% of what you do won't be pointless. You still probably want quest achievements and a start at SP and Klaxxi rep. You'll still want to get your professions maxed (if you aren't already). There's tons of things you'll want to do eventually at 90 that will get you exp if you go ahead and do them now.

Just play and don't worry about when 5.3 is coming.