Getting a new buddy to play WoW

New Player Help and Guides
Hey all, getting one of my work buddies to pick up and try WoW, but I am having some conflicts. He plays D3 / Border lands 2, so he is semi familiar with gaming.

First problem, he likes melee, but he constantly has the issue where he stands WAY back from the mobs, and wonders why his toon is not doing anything. How do I ingrain into him that he has to be CLOSE to the mob to do damage? Maybe there is a camera angle I can recommend to him to naturally help with this? I tell him "move up," but telling him move up every single mob over Skype, for an hour straight gets super old.

Second problem, I have all classes over 60, with most 85+ by this point. Any recommendations on what I should do to ensure he enjoys the company without me feeling like I'm doing the same garbage over again? I think I will be leveling with a dps / tank hybrid atleast, so I can get him into dungeons fast.

Third issue, If I use full heirlooms, will that hinder his enjoyment (opinion obviously)? Will I out-level him to the point I will hinder his EXP gain?

I haven't been a "WoW noob" in over 7 years... I dont even remember what problems I used to have. Any advice on what I can do to help him along, and what BASIC information I should share with him?

Any and all ideas and info are welcome.
The biggest thing you can give him is patience.

When I first started I tanked as a Holy Paladin. A little grace goes a long way.

Other than that, try to get him in a slightly "overhead" view. That should show the gaps he has between his character and the mob.

Heirlooms may make him feel like he's weak in comparison. It may not, however. It really depends on the person. Wether he's understanding or not.

Also, have you leveled through the new Cata zones? They may help spice up the already done-to-death leveling process you've been through.
Do not use heirlooms with your buddy. You will out level him fast and worse than ruining his XP he'll get pissed you are gaining levels faster than him. Trust me on that one. When I first started my friend did that to me and no matter what I said he refused to stop. We're not friends anymore. (though it wasn't ALL because of wow, but that factored into it).

You should be experienced enough at the game that not having heirlooms will be just fine. With the two of you together you'll kill just about anything. I supposed an heirloom weapon would be fine - trinkets too since they don't gain xp.

As far as him being melee and standing back... well, either convince him to roll a ranged character or smack him in the back of the head. As someone said above, hunter's not bad. Or maybe shaman. They wear mail, so it's got more of an armored look than clothies if that's the reason he likes melee characters.
Thanks all, good advice. I will advise him that there are other toons he should try for fun, push him to ranged. I will also recommend the over the head view a bit more, just dawned on my (I'm not at his actual comp, we are over Skype) that he might be playing fully behind the back or even First-Person.

Sadly the advice on heirlooms is exactly what I figured, Ill toss myself a weapon and leave it at that.
Maybe if you kind of explained the physics to him it might make more sense. If he's holding a sword and standing 10 feet away then he's not actually gonna hit anyone. Maybe if he thinks about it like that it might make more sense to him to move in close.

The suggestion of checking his camera angle is a good one too.
Hey all, getting one of my work buddies to pick up and try WoW, but I am having some conflicts. He plays D3 / Border lands 2, so he is semi familiar with gaming.

Basing on the facts you put out I used my educated guessing skills to put out that he might be 5 years or younger. It isn't rocket science to realize that mobs that are far away can't be hit with a sword. Anyway, make him go druid.

What? Either you didn't read his post at all or you're just being rude. Makes me really not want to help you with your other posts.
Get the recruit a friend bonus. Triple XP, friend summoning and other benefits. It'll keep you sane from faster than normal leveling as they're learning the rope.
Get the recruit a friend bonus. Triple XP, friend summoning and other benefits. It'll keep you sane from faster than normal leveling as they're learning the rope.

I strongly advise against that. Do you really think a player who is struggling to learn the basics of melee attack should be leveling at 3 times speed?

And he already HAS an account.
05/16/2013 07:02 AMPosted by Zolie

I strongly advise against that. Do you really think a player who is struggling to learn the basics of melee attack should be leveling at 3 times speed?

And he already HAS an account.

OP says his friend is familiar with D3 and Borderlands 2, so certain parallels can be made. In BL2, you have to be within a certain distance from your enemy for your melee attack to 'connect'. The same goes for WoW. Point out that some of the friend's action bar is faded and will be unavailable for use outside of that distance.

I'm assuming here, but it sounds like the OP is doing all the pulling when they're playing together. Perhaps the OP should let the friend pull to get a feeling for the figurative distances involved in melee combat. They need to be 'this' close to the mob to hit. If the OP is always the one pulling, it'll be hard for the friend to gauge.

If they're not even in dungeons yet (<lvl 15), OP's friend may be willing to start a new account through recruit a friend. Not much time is lost (in fact, they speed things up considerably), it gives both of them insane benefits and it's free for a limited period of time after which there are MORE benefits. Unless OP's friend purchased every expansion at once, there isn't really a downside.

Lastly, though not explicitly stated, many new players that I've encountered get frustrated with lack of visible progress. There are major slumps in the game (24-30 Gnomer much?, 54-58, 65-68, most of wrath, etc) where you feel like you're doing the same thing over and over and over and the boosted XP for the bonus period can help push through those slumps.
Second problem, I have all classes over 60, with most 85+ by this point. Any recommendations on what I should do to ensure he enjoys the company without me feeling like I'm doing the same garbage over again?

Ideas:

1. Roll the opposite faction. If you've played nothing but Alliance, go Horde.
2. Be Pandas. At the very least, you get to have a new zone for a while.
3. Go do zones you haven't done before. As mentioned, Cataclysm really changed the old Azeroth quite a bit. Or maybe you'd skipped Silithus on every toon, or never did Netherstrom before leaving Outland.
Many games have a collision issue where you can't stand in the same spot as someone else (not sure if the two games he's played has this mechanic). WoW doesn't have any collision detection at all. So if he's used to sanding a few feet away from something to hit it in the other games, in WoW he's actually out of melee range.

Tell him that his character's reach circle (the circle that appears around your character's feet when you select yourself) needs to be at least touching the reach circle of his opponent (the red circle at the mob's feet) if he's trying to hit it with a melee weapon.
Zoom the camera out, and rotate it up so that you're looking down about 45 degrees. About the same as it appears in D3. Though the camera angle in D3 is fixed, it can be moved freely in WoW, and your friend may not be aware of this. This is probably the #1 issue right now. Show him how to adjust the camera angle, as different situations call for different camera angles.