Pet Battle Questions

Pet Battles
Hey everyone. I just recently got into doing pet battles, and it is quite fun!

I have a few questions though I hope someone can help me with.

1) What does the star mean on the pet frames? I see it on some people's pet frames in the armory, but not on others.

2) What exactly is the deal with battle stones? I realize they raise a pet to rare quality, but is that it? Does using one on a pet simply raise it stats across the board?

3) Is it a bad idea to use all 3 slots of the same pet breed? ex: all dragonkin

That's all I can think of at the moment. Thanks for all input!
1) Pets w/ a star by their picture means they are Favorited, for ease of finding them in the Pet Journal.

2) Yes, rare pets have slightly higher stats than uncommon ones.

3) It's considered a bad idea, since all 3 of your pets could theoretically be countered by a single pet if it was strong against that pet family.
1) What does the star mean on the pet frames? I see it on some people's pet frames in the armory, but not on others.

That that pet has been favorited by that player.

2) What exactly is the deal with battle stones? I realize they raise a pet to rare quality, but is that it? Does using one on a pet simply raise it stats across the board?

Yes, and while at lower levels the stat difference may not seem like much at level 25 it is quite noticeable.

Unless you are speed farming certain pets for drops/lessers for the most part yes it is a poor idea to put all your faith into one type.

A star means that pet has been marked as a favorite.

That's about it, yes. The higher the quality of a pet, the more stat points it will have at any given level. Every rare-quality rabbit of the same breed will have the same stats at the same level regardless of if it was caught as a blue and leveled, caught as a grey and stoned and leveled, or caught as a grey, leveled, and then stoned.

On your team, or in your journal? Do you mean breed (ex. S/S, H/P, P/P) or species (ex. Spawn of Onyxia, Infinite Whelpling, Nexus Whelpling)? Are you talking about collecting three P/P Infinite Whelplings, or creating a team of three dragonkin?
First off, thank you to everyone that has replied so far! =D

05/16/2013 03:29 PMPosted by Ryxl

A star means that pet has been marked as a favorite.

That's about it, yes. The higher the quality of a pet, the more stat points it will have at any given level. Every rare-quality rabbit of the same breed will have the same stats at the same level regardless of if it was caught as a blue and leveled, caught as a grey and stoned and leveled, or caught as a grey, leveled, and then stoned.

On your team, or in your journal? Do you mean breed (ex. S/S, H/P, P/P) or species (ex. Spawn of Onyxia, Infinite Whelpling, Nexus Whelpling)? Are you talking about collecting three P/P Infinite Whelplings, or creating a team of three dragonkin?

Regarding your third response. I was referring to having all of the same type. For example, all critters or all beasts.

But since you have brought it up about the S/S, etc., I will ask about that as well. I see people referring to this. And I have done a little research about pet battles, and noticed these refer to things like Speed/Speed, Heath/Speed, etc. My question is, how do you classify something as such? Is it just that pet battles have been out long enough that people know a particular pet is very fast and has a lot of health at lvl 25? I am still a little lost on this.

*edit*
More specifically even. I see some people refer to the same pet as being S/S or S/H. How do you determine what that pet is? Someone above stated that a rabbit of the same type will have the same stats regardless at lvl 25, assuming both are rare in this case.

Thanks again everyone!
05/16/2013 03:56 PMPosted by Healér
Regarding your third response. I was referring to having all of the same type. For example, all critters or all beasts.

Not usually recommended, because your entire team will share weaknesses. If you're running three critters, and you come up against a team with a strong beast, you're going to get munched unless you manage to take out that beast.

But since you have brought it up about the S/S, etc., I will ask about that as well. I see people referring to this. And I have done a little research about pet battles, and noticed these refer to things like Speed/Speed, Heath/Speed, etc. My question is, how do you classify something as such? Is it just that pet battles have been out long enough that people know a particular pet is very fast and has a lot of health at lvl 25? I am still a little lost on this.

*edit*
More specifically even. I see some people refer to the same pet as being S/S or S/H. How do you determine what that pet is? Someone above stated that a rabbit of the same type will have the same stats regardless at lvl 25, assuming both are rare in this case.

Most pets have multiple breeds. http://petsear.ch/Breeds can show you all the possible breeds for a pet. In the case of the Snowshoe Rabbit, there are three possible breeds: B/B, S/S, and S/B. A breed S/S Snowshoe Rabbit will, for each level, gain more in the Speed attribute than a S/B breed, which in turn will still be faster than a B/B. http://petsear.ch/Info has all of the math if you want to poke around.

As for telling what breed a pet is, most of us use an add-on for that. Much easier to tell what breed that Infinite Whelpling is when you can see P/P beside its name rather than having to look up what stats a poor quality would have at level 14 and figure out the breed that way.
Warcraft Pets has a pretty comprehensive write-up for *what* the breed system is doing:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pet-battles/#breeds

Also, for the nitty gritty your final stats are calculated by multiplying your breed / base stats by the level and a quality bonus (starting from 1 for grey/uncommon pets and up to 1.3 for blue/rare pets and higher still for those epic and legendary pets tamers use).

So, you can definitely start off with any quality; but every level you'll just start to fall more behind.