Driving AH prices down...

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
you can mess with the markets pretty easily.

it isnt tough to get endless gems and endless glyphs. you can cripple both of those markets with little effort, if that is the sort of thing you are into.
If you want to drive prices down, the goal is to have an item listed that won't sell. If the item sells in bulk by the stack (ore, herbs, etc), post a single stack of one of the item at a lower price. If the item sells by singles (enchants, gems, glyphs, etc.) post the largest stack you can at a lower price per unit but much higher total cost.

You can definitely annoy the AH players in the gem and glyph and enchant markets, but you can't really annoy AH players with herbs, ore, and other base components. You'd have to control the market for every step of every production chain that the base component is involved in, which is pretty much impossible unless you want to do it with BC/Wrath/Cata mats or something.
As a practical matter, you are likely over-imagining your personal impact.

Hard core auction house players use a variety of add-ons and keep themselves involved in a huge range of markets to minimize the impact of things like this. Yes, you can cause a particular player to be "less profitable" for a period of time in a particular good. But invariably, your negative impact is overwhelmed by the markets you *aren't* competing in. And, frankly, most people can't stick with it, as it is pretty boring to do.

Not saying you shouldn't keep at it. But I once had my day in the sun as an AH baron, and I can tell you bluntly that the kind of reposting you are talking about has a trivial impact on long-term profitability.

Pretty much this. People try it all the time on my server. Doesn't do anything to me at all.

It may be a server specific situation... I'm sure that having to constantly relist/repost is annoying... unless you use some kind of script... which could eventually get you banned... either way, everyone profits and I get to enjoy the game the way i want to enjoy it... sure, you can claim it doesn't impact you at all, but the truth is, it doesn't matter... it impacts me positively.
Smart AH users know how much people will pay for things (or how much they can profit from combining them into something else) and will just buy your cheap things if they fall below a certain threshold and resell them. You aren't really doing anything but wasting your own gold.
05/08/2013 10:01 AMPosted by Grimmoire

That's the reason for the extremely high mark ups.

You may think yourself exceedingly clever or witty for undercutting AH powerusers, but these people know what they're doing, and your little stunts are things that occur all the time, and are factored for accordingly. In addition to having dozens, if not hundreds of irons in the fire, they've also got the capital to beat you in the long run every time.

Doubtful...

I have four dual gathering toons and four dual crafting toons. Whatever they can do, I can do equally as well if not better. I'm ok if they still make profits in areas I'm not covering. I just enjoy driving ah prices down on a daily basis... I have enough capital and enough resources to do this all day long. Again... I enjoy doing it as much as they enjoy being "ah power users" so we all win :)

Gathering toons.... ooh bless your heart...you think you can beat someone like me with gathering toons....

I have millions in liquid capital, more millions in goods stored in my 14 six tab guild banks, a constant circulation of goods in the mail which I use just for storage and an intimate knowledge of my servers prices.

Bring it on kitten. We'll see just how deep your pockets are.
higeki - i know you run a major operation, but if someone wants to mess with your gems, glyphs, and belt buckles, they can make things a lot less pleasant.

herbs and glyphs are pretty much limitless and the same with gems.

irk the wrong person and i dont see how it is an easy solution for you or whomever the local baron is.

and not only would you have to worry about the undercutter, but you need to worry about all of the noobs that undercut the initial cutter. so you could be buying rocks from 5 people.
Usually it's the profession leveling mats that are outrageously priced. And the ones that buy the cheap ones and re-post them for that ridiculous amount are the ones I see spamming WTS (Insert Profession) Kit for $25k. I mean a stack of strange dust on my server can go for a 100g.
Meh, I was responding more to how that person phrased things. I'm actually patient. I will buy out your underpriced goods (because I can afford to do so) and wait a week or two, reset prices to normal and go on about my business with consistant prices. You'll be out of stock and I'll be sitting on things that are below my cost to make.

I've been flipping 70s Hypnotic Dust for 17g each. Profit is the reward for patience.

I have farmers that supply me which means that I can usually afford to sell my goods for far less than you can and still make a tidy profit. The most important part of being a baron are these two things:

1. Time is money friend.
2. Margins.

If you understand how important those two things are to the gold mini-game, it's easy to earn millions.
Uhhh...... Sorry for putting those trillium bars up for 35g each? Because I didn't want to wait 2 days for them to sell?

(Sheeraah has 2 pages of trilliums bars up each one is 100g.)
Me:HMMMMMMMMM.........
Me:(Puts 50 trillium bars up for 35g each.)
(They all sell in 7mins.)
Me:-Blam!- YEAH!
(Sheeraahs trilliums still waiting for a buyer.)
I use Auctionator and usually just post things at whatever price it suggests, which is slightly below the lowest price existing auction for a given item.
The funny thing that people don't always understand is that AH moguls are extremely helpful to everyday sellers, because they will almost instantly buy anything you post that is below their "profit threshold."

For example, I can pretty much sell Golden Lotus on demand in any quantity at 49.99. My buyers are pretty much always AH players - who flip it and sell it for 59.99. The difference is, they have to actually care about the AH, whereas I just want my 50 gold now, and with 100% certainty.

They are willing to patiently invest time and effort into "taking" my 10 gold margin, I'm willing to forgo that 10 gold margin for instant gratification and zero effort.

Just like an economy should work!

TLDR: Love your local Auction House Playah.
Uhhh...... Sorry for putting those trillium bars up for 35g each? Because I didn't want to wait 2 days for them to sell?

(Sheeraah has 2 pages of trilliums bars up each one is 100g.)
Me:HMMMMMMMMM.........
Me:(Puts 50 trillium bars up for 35g each.)
(They all sell in 7mins.)
Me:-Blam!- YEAH!
(Sheeraahs trilliums still waiting for a buyer.)

On your server Ghost Iron Ore is selling at 84 gold a stack. That means that it cost 84 gold to make that trillium bar that you just sold for 35 gold. Yep...you're a genius. Please transfer to Hyjal as we need people like you. People that how no real idea of the cost of the goods they want to sell make people like me rich.

Doubtful...

I have four dual gathering toons and four dual crafting toons. Whatever they can do, I can do equally as well if not better. I'm ok if they still make profits in areas I'm not covering. I just enjoy driving ah prices down on a daily basis... I have enough capital and enough resources to do this all day long. Again... I enjoy doing it as much as they enjoy being "ah power users" so we all win :)

Gathering toons.... ooh bless your heart...you think you can beat someone like me with gathering toons....

I have millions in liquid capital, more millions in goods stored in my 14 six tab guild banks, a constant circulation of goods in the mail which I use just for storage and an intimate knowledge of my servers prices.

Bring it on kitten. We'll see just how deep your pockets are.

Good for you nancy... I bet your mom is proud of your "accomplishment"
price changes are dependent on how much you play the AH. if you just go in with some things per week, you aren't doing much except raking in some profit.

real changes only occur when you dedicate yourself to changing them, which means a lot of not having fun. that is, you spend all your game time farming for stuff, that way you aren't spending any capital, and it's all profit. at this point, you aren't having fun, you become a human bot, grueling away at the nodes and crafting.

sadly, most of the people that do this have this fantastic bot program out there that's nigh untraceable, as it does nothing in WoW. it literally activates your keyboard and mouse in predefined programs, and you can run it 8 hours a day and be reasonably certain you aren't getting caught. there's a high change you may be trying to drop those guy's prices, and as a person, that's crazy.
My mother died of Alzheimers Disease in 2007.
price changes are dependent on how much you play the AH. if you just go in with some things per week, you aren't doing much except raking in some profit.

real changes only occur when you dedicate yourself to changing them, which means a lot of not having fun. that is, you spend all your game time farming for stuff, that way you aren't spending any capital, and it's all profit. at this point, you aren't having fun, you become a human bot, grueling away at the nodes and crafting.

sadly, most of the people that do this have this fantastic bot program out there that's nigh untraceable, as it does nothing in WoW. it literally activates your keyboard and mouse in predefined programs, and you can run it 8 hours a day and be reasonably certain you aren't getting caught. there's a high change you may be trying to drop those guy's prices, and as a person, that's crazy.

Farming things yourself does not make them "free." You must always factor in the oppurtunity cost of what those farmed goods could be sold for as raw materials. It's like the poster above congratulating himself for selling Trillium Bars far below what it cost to make a Trillium Bar- a stack of Ghost Iron. If he'd sold the Ghost Iron Ore instead he'd have made quite a bit of gold with no extra work involved. He thinks he's manipulating the market but he probably just sold all of his bars (the ones 50 gold below cost) to the person that sells them for 100 who has the patience to wait for them to sell for what they are worth.
I just go to the undermine journal and price from there. Lol at addons. I can find out nearly anything from anybody who has ever sold anyting on the AH.

I study their strats, see their usual posting times and days, what items they post and for how much, throw a wrench in it, make my gains and move on. Im not gonna sell anyting that has a high deviation. I like taunting them sometimes. I have multiple accounts for a reason. I usually only dump when all of my guild banks tabs are full.
05/08/2013 01:47 PMPosted by Higeki
Farming things yourself does not make them "free."

If you understand that concept, you are well on your way to being a "one-percenter" of Azeroth.

Fortunately, no matter how many times it is said (or even explained), people don't get this concept at all. Which is very nice for my pocketbook!
I really really enjoy it. Anyone else?

I like to undercut them AND put up two of the item. It really messes with their Add-Ons.