Myth about classic Dungeoning:

General Discussion
1 2 3 10 Next
People claim that during classic they had to sit in trade for two hours looking for a tank and making a group was terrible; however, this was almost never the case.

Anyone who truly played in Vanilla knows that /who (dungeon level range) was your friend and groups were often made in less then 10 minutes, albeit on low Pop server it could be difficult, but removing LFG and LFR is completely viable and manageable for all intents and purposes.

You whisper each person on the list and you form a pool to create your group from plus the added adventure of making your way to the summoning stone with a group of your server comrades. WoW dungeons were a lot more fulfilling back then and you made a lot more friends as you needed to note the tanks and healers of your server to get things done in the future. WoW was a shared adventure.

What we really ought to fix on the otherhand is dead servers and low pop realms
Didn't you hear? Helping people is so 1990's.

It's much trendier to be a d-bag and not help your fellow players.
Ya, you used to have the old LFG/LFM channels, and in BC you had the interface for it: http://web.archive.org/web/20090807221227/http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningcrusade/townhall/lookingforgroup.html

Let's change the game my warlock brethren!
For all the harm they have done LFR and LFG have still done more good. They will never leave this game, people need to just accept it.

I remember when I was leveling for the first time, and this was in early Wrath. As I entered a new zone I would bring up /who and put together a dungeon group out of the zone population.

It was great fun, I met a lot of people that way and had some very good times.

But I couldn't do that today, my server population no longer supports it. Even if it did it is true that most people would blow you off nowadays and just tell you to use the dungeon finder.

It's the price we paid.

Let's change the game my warlock brethren!

Are you kidding me? I'm not going to help you, you're my competition.

Everyone is my competition in this game. I don't see why I should care about you.
No..it really was like that.

/who (any class that could tank)

soandso is ignoring you
whatsername is ignoring you

/who healers

ionlyhealfriends is ignoring you
nothealingyou is ignoring you

I played a healer back then and I got spammed whispers as soon as I logged in. I had an ignore list a mile wide.

If you played a healer, or a tank you could make a group easily
if you had friends, or a guild you made groups easy

If you didn't...you were spending hours looking.

LFD was made for a reason.

Spamming LFM Uldaman need tank for 2 hours got old pretty fast.
There were no low pop servers in vanilla. God they were opening servers like crazy.

But, yea, during BC I leveled a priest almost exclusively in dungeons. I got tells all day long.

In that sense, I never really got the whole "omg you make friends in dungeons". I ran so many dungeons I never stopped to take note of anyone. LFG just meant I didn't have to stand outside the instance all day long. I could finally go play the game.
No friend, let's take the game back for the players. The player base was a lot better, because we needed each other and we were all in this together, but now we are divided.
Honestly classic was better and here is why:
"Lfm RBGs!"
"Hi, I'm a hunter"
"welcome to the group!"
-get kicked-
/w why did I get kicked?
/r found a 2.2k achieve warlock from KT
/w that's not even our server
-so and so is ignoring you-
No..it really was like that.

/who (any class that could tank)

soandso is ignoring you
whatsername is ignoring you

/who healers

ionlyhealfriends is ignoring you
nothealingyou is ignoring you

I played a healer back then and I got spammed whispers as soon as I logged in. I had an ignore list a mile wide.

If you played a healer, or a tank you could make a group easily
if you had friends, or a guild you made groups easy

If you didn't...you were spending hours looking.

LFD was made for a reason.

Spamming LFM Uldaman need tank for 2 hours got old pretty fast.

This is true. I was lucky enough to have a priest, warlock and a warrior friend. As we leveled we picked up a rogue, and in time pugged into a group that eventually became a mc raid made of a mishmash of several guilds.
Honestly classic was better and here is why:
"Lfm RBGs!"
"Hi, I'm a hunter"
"welcome to the group!"
-get kicked-
/w why did I get kicked?
/r found a 2.2k achieve warlock from KT
/w that's not even our server
-so and so is ignoring you-

That has more to do with how RBGs work than people bringing people from other servers.

high rating RBGs is a no hunter, no ret pally zone.

It was like that in Vanilla...wanted to play a shadow priest?

HAHAHA, no you shut up and heal.
Downlo, I don't believe you played much during classic/bc/early wrath -.-

It wasn't annoying at all back then and the only person doing mass spams were gold bots.

For guild invite spam blame the creator of SGI.
Meh; I never had problems going through the wow phone directory lol. I lead an awfully large amount of pugs too
People claim that during classic they had to sit in trade for two hours looking for a tank and making a group was terrible; however, this was almost never the case.

I started playing at the tale end of that era, a couple months before LFD was introduced

yes, it was that bad

but removing LFG and LFR is completely viable and manageable for all intents and purposes.

no it's not. you are free to manually form your own groups, you do not have to force everyone else to conform to your way of thinking

the added adventure of making your way to the summoning stone with a group of your server comrades

you mean being the ONLY person to actually walk to the dungeon, while everyone else expects a summon, and by the time someone else finally works up the will to walk there, you have to hearth back and look for a replacement for the guy that already left?

05/11/2013 12:20 AMPosted by Reynà
back then and you made a lot more friends

RealID is a thing. you'd be surprised how many people will respond if you speak up first
I played back then, it often took an hour or longer to form groups, but not always.
but removing LFG and LFR is completely viable and manageable for all intents and purposes.

Remove them and i quit the game. Period no if ands or buts!!!!
I cant speak for anyone other than me and my family. But i do not think we are alone in this.

Anyone who truly played in Vanilla knows that /who (dungeon level range) was your friend and groups were often made in less then 10 minutes, albeit on low Pop server it could be difficult, but removing LFG and LFR is completely viable and manageable for all intents and purposes.

You whisper each person on the list and you form a pool to create your group from plus the added adventure of making your way to the summoning stone with a group of your server comrades. WoW dungeons were a lot more fulfilling back then and you made a lot more friends as you needed to note the tanks and healers of your server to get things done in the future. WoW was a shared adventure.

What we really ought to fix on the otherhand is dead servers and low pop realms

Still doesnt change the fact a lot of people prefer LFR and LFD to chat forming, if they removed it, I will leave WoW. I suspect Blizzard will not do anything as dumb as remove LFR and LFD because its become a standard for MMOs. Look at what happened to SWToR, it started without DR and people left in droves because they hated to form groups the old way.