Tablet - Yes? No? Maybe so?

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Good evening guys!

I come before you guys with a simple question and I would like to know the pros and cons of such a thing.

I was pondering on getting a tablet for use during the upcoming semester. Should I or is it a waste of money?

If so, why do you think so?
Also, if you think I should, what is the best model to keep an eye on? (I would rather avoid going over 500 bucks if I can, 300 at minimum.)
I don't get the appeal of a tablet. My phone does everything a tablet can only on a smaller screen. A laptop would give you so many more options.
My current laptop is really heavy, especially when coupled with a few textbooks and lugging all of them across campus.

My current appeal towards the tablet would mean I wouldn't have as much to carry around. Not to mention I have heard of a program where you can rent and download your textbooks onto the tablet.
Really that depends on what you're looking to do with it, a tablet is a great device for browsing the web on the fly or checking email or looking at pictures. In those regards they're better than a laptop, on the other hand you mentioned semester so you're in school and probably need something you'll do a lot of typing on, for that a tablet is terrible and I'd recommend a laptop even a cheap one like a netbook.

My take is kind of that a tablet is better for looking at information but a laptop or PC is better for extensive data entry. Although I will say you might actually consider the windows 8 tablets that have detachable keyboard, I have no experience with them but it might work for you.

My current appeal towards the tablet would mean I wouldn't have as much to carry around. Not to mention I have heard of a program where you can rent and download your textbooks onto the tablet.

There are laptops that are comparable in weight, cost and size to a tablet, and you can download textbooks to a PC.
I don't get the appeal of a tablet. My phone does everything a tablet can only on a smaller screen. A laptop would give you so many more options.

I use a tablet heavily, mostly for reading ebooks and rss feeds. It's not a replacement for a PC, although I'm sure some people use one that way.
I use an Apple iPad 3 (with retina display) for my Master's Degree program (Accounting). I got it a week before the iPad 4 was released so I got a pretty nice discount. I love the thing and I use it a lot more than I thought I would. It's really convenient to copy documents to it (such as solution manuals, test banks and so on) and I can carry it around. It's a lot less clunky and heavy than a laptop. The downside is that I can't really use it to write papers on but that's something I prefer to do from home anyway when I have all my resources and internet at hand.

Speaking of internet, I only got the wifi version and that's fine with me. Everywhere I go has free wifi so I don't feel the need to pay a monthly fee for internet service.

For me a Table cannot replace an actual computer for my schoolwork but it's a lot more convenient than carrying around a laptop.
If I were to go out get a tablet today for under $500, I would probably get the Windows Surface RT. Several of my friends have been using one for a while now and they all love it.
I agree with the Windows Surface RT, because at least it comes with MS office so you can actually do stuff for school on it.

I'd wait and see what sorts of tablets come out with AMD's Temash chip and what they cost. That would be a full quad-core x86/x64 machine with HD8xxx graphics. They should turn up in June, and I guess they'll run Win8.
For me a Table cannot replace an actual computer for my schoolwork but it's a lot more convenient than carrying around a laptop.

This I totally understand and I had no intention of totally replacing my laptop. (After all, how would I play WoW without it?! BLASPHEMY!) I just thought it would be a good way for me to type up notes and voice record some of the lectures.

I would hope there is a USB cable similar to the Ipod charger? That way I can connect and copy files over to my laptop.

Speaking of internet, I only got the wifi version and that's fine with me. Everywhere I go has free wifi so I don't feel the need to pay a monthly fee for internet service.

This too.

If I were to go out get a tablet today for under $500, I would probably get the Windows Surface RT. Several of my friends have been using one for a while now and they all love it.

I agree with the Windows Surface RT, because at least it comes with MS office so you can actually do stuff for school on it.

I'd wait and see what sorts of tablets come out with AMD's Temash chip and what they cost. That would be a full quad-core x86/x64 machine with HD8xxx graphics. They should turn up in June, and I guess they'll run Win8.

Window Surface RT? I'll keep an eye for one then. :) Thank you for the suggestion. But I didn't intend on getting anything super fancy, just something with a decent amount of memory, a large screen (about 10 inches?) and so forth.
05/09/2013 07:46 PMPosted by Zaishao
This I totally understand and I had no intention of totally replacing my laptop. (After all, how would I play WoW without it?! BLASPHEMY!) I just thought it would be a good way for me to type up notes and voice record some of the lectures.

The interface for typing up long notes papers on a tablet is terrible at this point.