What did you play before 2005?

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 10 Next
Diablo 2:LOD i believe...... i was in love with that game.
EverQuest. That was a great experience. It was like the Woodstock of gaming. If you weren't there from early on (release into Kunark) then it is hard to understand how addicting and immersive that game could be. We look back on it with all these polished games in our mind, but for its time it was pretty good. Night/Day cycles, corpse runs, dragging people's corpses, lol (remember when you could coin-loot player corpses when they gave permission to drag you?) It is one where I really enjoyed casual/solo as much as I enjoyed raiding. I'll always remember my first look at Naggy. I still have those screenshots, lol. Taking about a hundred people to the Temple of Veeshan was wild. I can't believe it is still going, as I had finally thrown in the towel around 2007. It was just to sad to see places like EC and PoK empty of people. But the mass of people came to WoW so since I enjoy the social aspects of mmo's, I came along.

(Reynard - Cazic Thule)
I was not big on computer games back then.
Same for me, though I did play Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness and Beyond The Dark Portal expansion (later getting WC2 battle.net edition), and Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne expansion.

I was pretty much a gamer of the 90's, so the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis were my childhood consoles, later moving up to Nintendo 64 and Playstation. I did also get a Dreamcast around the time Playstation 2 and Gamecube came out, in addition to those.

Games I enjoyed included:
Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past (SNES)
Super Mario RPG (SNES)
Earthbound (SNES)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Donkey Kong Country 1, 2 and 3 (SNES)
Castlevania IV (SNES)
Star Fox (SNES)
Killer Instinct (SNES)
Mega Man X (SNES)
Illusion Of Gaia (SNES)
Young Merlin (SNES) -Yes, I liked this one too.
Banjo Kazooie (N64)
Banjo Tooie (N64)
Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
Final Fantasy VII (Playstation)
Crash Bandicoot 1, 2 and Warped (Playstation)
Heart Of Darkness (Playstation)
Medievil (Playstation)
Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 (Playstation)
Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
Killer Instinct Gold (N64)
Paper Mario (n64)
Goldeneye (n64)
Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast)
Sonic The Hedgehog 1, 2 and 3 (Genesis)
Sonic and Knuckles (Genesis)

*Takes a deep breath*

Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)
ATV Offroad Fury 2 (PS2)
Ratchet & Clank (PS2)
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door...? (Gamecube) -What ever the title was for the Gamecube one.
Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker

There were more with the Gamecube and N64. I do still own my collections from all those years past. I'm actually currently re-playing Ocarina of Time when I'm not on WoW these days.
I definitely got into the Guitar Hero/Rock Band and Grand Theft Auto series after '05 as well, but anyway.
I also acquired an NES after it was obsolete (and before '05), and I do like the Mario games outside of the RPG's, though I haven't played Sunshine and Galaxy 2, yet....
Pokemon - Beating the game for the 1st time was an awesome experience. Soon after my cousin showed me the gamebreaking glitches.
Splinter Cell (Original Xbox) - Fun game to mess around on.
Soul Calbur 2 for Xbox - Yoshimitsu, Kilik, and Spawn were my favs. I sucked at the game, but was fun to play. I didn't know about tiers back then, so they prolly suck or maybe now, idk.
Metal Gear Solid (PS1) and 2:Substance(Original Xbox) - Used to play this 'til 3 am when I was 12.
Fuzioooooooooooooonnnn Frenzzyyyyyyyyyyyy!(Original Xbox) - Really fun game to play with friends/family.
Banjo Kazooie (N64) - My sister got me into this game when my dad bought her the game for her birthday. We both loved that game soooo much.
Guildwars. Was a very pretty game. But as most of us know, pretty games usually aren't that great.
Angband.

A dungeon crawler better than Diablo or any of it's sequels and competition.

Vast dungeons, seemingly limitless variety in gear, powerful bosses, special levels, set in the Tolkien universe... it had it all.

If I hadn't moved to a laptop without a numeric keypad, I'd probably never have picked up WoW.

(edit) And you can play Angband on pretty much any computer made in the last 15-20 years.
I played Anarchy Online and Lineage 2 (both Korea server and NA server). The game I left before joining WoW was Lineage 2. I was tired with how MASSIVE the grind was there for both gear and levels. Also, that game was plagued with Chinese farmers who would bot the same hard level areas top players needed to level or get drops to make gear. They would taunt you to hit them so they could kill and loot you. (You dropped a lot of your gear if you died while red flagged). I got tired of investing so much time for so little reward. When I learned I never dropped my gear if I died in WoW, it was a done deal.

Anarchy Online was one of the best games for twinking I've ever played until the wow early BC era came out. WoW hasn't been able to touch it since.
Console gaming.

SOUL CALIBUR 2 TEAM BATTLE ALL DAY ERRYDAY.

Nightmare:

STILL THE BEST

Due to the game rating and the general mannerisms of keeping it clean I can only say she was happy lol.

But no kidding aside on this same type post I have answered more times than I can recount), Console both nintendo and PS3+(emulators like mame, old sega/nintendo/other emulator games), Pool, Bowling, Star Trek series games, and a bunch of dying old arcade games. and finally Ultima Online

Oh in 2002 I was playing with Divorce, Viva la Freedom!
I was very heavily into Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons and Dragons stuff, think I went through a period where computer games became less important for a while though after that, until I finally got sick of it, and got addicted to wow?
Oh let's see, it went something like:

UO, then SWG, then FFXI, then WoW, then I moved to Ohio, then GW, then the ex broke up with me, then back to WoW just to tick him off.

Sounds about right.
DAoC for sure. Those were glory times.
Star Wars: Galaxies, and Asheron's Call 2 before that. (Though my friend powerleveled me to 30 and I had no idea wtf to do after that)

Before those? UT2003, mostly just Face Classic map
Prior to World of Warcraft, I played Ragnarok Online and NexusTK. A lot of non-online games like Super Smash Brothers as well.
a lot considering I didn't start playing wow until 2010, I am and always will be a console gamer prior to starting in wow I didn't even own my own computer, but I've owned consoles for 25 years. so to answer the question I played (and still play) madden, call of duty, uncharted, resistance, mlb games, halo, Zelda, super Mario brothers, Metroid, and about 1,000 other games too numerous to name.
Everquest from 1999 to 2003....I still have great friends today I met there. Simply amazing game in the old days, raided hardcore for years. Left during the Planes of Power era when non hybrid melee classes went obsolete, I was a monk and watched my class go completely useless.

Played Dark Age of Camelot for years after that until WoW released, had a great time there as well.
here are a few

Island of kesmai
Shattered world
Dragon’s Gate
Elendor
Genocide
The ruins of Cawdor
Legends of Kesmai
Jumpgate
Console games
FFXI main TaruTaru BST
WOW at release 2004