Suggestion: Bonuses to realm-only LFD/LFR grp

General Discussion
Hi all,

A suggestion that would put to rest the complaints about LFR and LFD killing communities, while allowing players to form that community they believe they had back in vanilla and BC.

When 4/5 players in LFD or 20/25 players in LFR are from the same realm, give those players a bonus of 20% extra VP, JP and reputation points. Maybe make the bonus 25% if all players are from the same realm.

This keeps the existing LFD and LFR system in place, unchanged. Nothing is lost there.

It also provides a substantial incentive for players who want to form their own groups and run random content with people they know, or people from the same realm. Players will once again learn who is good and who is not good to play with, and if they care to form a community around that, they can.

Everyone gets what they want, no-one loses anything and no excessive bonuses are given out.

I don't believe in removing features, and an incentive will drive behaviour far more effectively than what many might see as a punishment.

Comments?

By the way, my motivation for this is that I'm interested to see if the stories about BC and vanilla communities were true. I joined in BC and never saw anything positive about the community (certainly never experienced anything good from other players back then) but I think this idea would give those players back the thing they say they want most, while allowing anyone left out of that community for whatever reason the ability to keep playing as they are today.

The idea is not mine - I've seen it floated before in various threads but the recent rash of community nostalgia threads makes me think the idea's time has come.
I rather see more reason to group up with people on your realm. I couldn't care less if people in my random dungeons/LFR was from my realm.

I rather see a community grouping together to DO things in the world itself and quite frankly, the only way its going to happen is reward it. Like, for instance, killing the warbringers could be a 2% mount chance drop increase for every warm body in the group and within 100 yards of the boss. Maybe a set of 3-5 man (daily) quests (with mechanics that require the bodies so people just cant solo it by having gear and/or the right spec/mechanics) that reward an exceptional amount of valor and be a viable alternative to solo dailies (kinda like how the thunder isle makes you pick between PvE and PvP dailies).
Well, there could be many group quests that give bonuses to realm-only groups, but group quests are becoming a thing of the past now so that's probably not the way to make any lasting difference.
I'm all for encouraging groups from the same realm since it helps finding friends, but there are a few problems. I'm not sure a small VP boost would encourage grouping enough to matter. For LFR, getting 20/25 would take too long since LFR isn't all that efficient for VP grinds anyways. For dungeons, 20% would barely cover what you lose from not having Luck of the Draw and definitely wouldn't cover the loss of the loot bag tanks and healers sometimes get.

The bigger problem is Blizzard is still at this very second actively encouraging people to group with strangers they will never meet again (Luck of the Draw, satchels). It just doesn't make sense to actively encourage two opposing behaviors, so players need to convince Blizzard the game would be better if friendship was encouraged instead of solo play with strangers.
Well, there could be many group quests that give bonuses to realm-only groups, but group quests are becoming a thing of the past now so that's probably not the way to make any lasting difference.

I did not say group quests. I said content that requires or significantly encourages groups. Like, for instance, zone events that mechanically can not be tackled solo (on random timers and with big incentives to actually participate in them).

The current (and overall poor one) is the scouts and warbringers. I'd rather see them leapfrog off the idea and come up with content. Kind of like....scenarios (the concept) on a more large scale on random times and in random areas.

Oh crap, the village in kun-lai is being overrun by saurok and yangoul...better throw out a call in general and quickly amass a small army. Saving the inpromptu attack on the village...if you manage to save the village, you get their hidden treasure cache (chest with a bunch of gold and items that can be rolled on or distributed via loot council or whatnot (anywhere from 476 - 496 iLvl blues/purps). Mechanics for saving the village ranges from putting out fires, fighting off waves of adds, and healing/aiding injured villagers all at once (requiring multiple people and varying specs).

That's just one example throw together off the top of my head.
I did not say group quests. I said content that requires or significantly encourages groups. Like, for instance, zone events that mechanically can not be tackled solo (on random timers and with big incentives to actually participate in them).

Sorry, I misunderstood you.

I was thinking of that something could be done pretty much now, without the need to develop new content. I really like your idea, but Blizzard have moved away from that style of content now, and I don't see it returning, sadly.

I tend to play solo while questing, but I do miss those areas that you knew you needed a group for. They were utterly lethal for solo players, but some areas of the world should be.
The bigger problem is Blizzard is still at this very second actively encouraging people to group with strangers they will never meet again (Luck of the Draw, satchels). It just doesn't make sense to actively encourage two opposing behaviors, so players need to convince Blizzard the game would be better if friendship was encouraged instead of solo play with strangers.

Hmm... I was thinking that the two incentives would apply to different types of players, but you're probably right.

I also agree with your point that a 20% bonus wouldn't be enough. I weanted something that didn't seem over the top, but you'd need something like all the bonuses of random queueing plus a bunch of extra bonuses, and it starts to add up.

I still think the basic idea is workable. Maybe give a loot bag with a higher chance of something useful, as well as 33% extra VP/JP/rep. Or even 50%.

Hmm...
People from the lower population realms would be absolutely lived when they can never get a pug, realm 20/25 man group together. They are definitely gonna have to address low pop servers before even considering this. The last thing blizzard wants is to introduce an incentive/reward based system that isn't available to all.
In B4 someone says you can still form your own group on your realm even though nobody does that anymore because everyone has been programmed to hit the queue button and you would get laughed at in trade chat making that choice not very realistic since the people that go into LFR are looking for free loot and just want to get out of there.
Nothing will bring the community feel back unless the feature Blizzard has been working on for 5.4 is time travel back to 2005.