Grinding a million dailies to buy valor gear

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 24 Next
Says something about the content.

That ilvls trump a lot of things and unless you absolutely need profession based recipes you can intelligently ignore grinds that yield inferior rewards?

Bash is being realistic. The old content is fine, but its old. You should no more endeavor to bash your head into a full 50+ dailies that yield 476 gear than you should go run Firelands to be prepped for leveling in Jade Forest.

If he said otherwise you'd all harp on how he's being dumb and inefficient by implying we get Exalted with the "first" factions before doing the "new" ones.
You shouldn't be grinding any reps to get Valor gear. Those items aren't really worth going after any more. There's the Shado-Pan Assault, but you get rep by downing each ToT boss each week, and there's no way to 'grind' that.

Two words: Boots & Helmet.

Can you point me to the SPA version of helm/boots?

The only VP boots I can find are Shieldwall and only VP helm I can find are Shado-Pan (not the SPA, but the original, locked behind Golden Lotus one).
05/09/2013 02:59 PMPosted by Fasç
I call it zerg mode because you are raceing a clock to get the valor I don't like to rush thru dungeons which is why to me the cata ones and the bc ones were perfect they made people pay attention to mechanics and know how to play there class.

/boggle

And thus why you don't understand how a Challenge Mode works. No Hand of A'dal or Champion of the Naaru, so pulling off a TBC Shattered Halls run for the quest was probably not something you did at all.

To pull a fast time you MUST pay attention to everything around you, know the pulls inside and out, CC and move appropriately, etc etc. You don't just pull-AoE-pull-AoE-pull-AoE-pull and hope your normalized gear DPS is enough to meet the times. It'll be like my first time pulling just for !@#$s and giggles... a very dead Bear and a baffled Healer.

actually shattered halls was my favorite of the bc heroics and I never had a problem for the quest in there guildies would ask me to run them thru there because they knew I would run that one every chance I got because I had that one down to a science.

Slabs was the one I dreaded the most that expac if I ever hear " Time for Fun" from a boss again.
05/09/2013 02:53 PMPosted by Suzyq
You shouldn't be grinding any reps to get Valor gear. Those items aren't really worth going after any more.

I find it funny seeing a blue tell someone to ignore content, but it's totally true.

They're probably (if asked) also going to recommend not bothering to gem and enchant WotLK gear, and tell people instead to just start questing in the Cata areas. That doesn't prove that WotLK was bad, or the gear was bad, or CRZ is bad, or whatever else people are claiming it proves -- it just proves that better gear is now available, and there are more efficient uses of your play time if your goal is to gear up -- which has always been the case as new expansions, patches, and raid tiers are released.
So you don't want to grind "a million" dailies for valor, but you don't want to zerg instances either? So, uh... what DO you want to do for valor?
[quote]
If you're working on Kirin Tor Offensive or Sunreaver Onslaught, hitting Honored is pretty quick, buy the belt for 300g and then only continue with it if you want to hit Exalted or want some of those other rewards. If you're just looking to gear up I'd probably stop there.

Who doesn't want a freaking awesome Direhorn?! Exalted was worth it.

You calling it zerg mode, makes it blatantly obvious that you have never done one. I would laugh at someone actually trying to zerg it. Then getting plastered all over the pavement.

I call it zerg mode because you are raceing a clock to get the valor I don't like to rush thru dungeons which is why to me the cata ones and the bc ones were perfect they made people pay attention to mechanics and know how to play there class.

Why are you speaking for something you've never done. They are way harder than any dungeon ever put out. You have to use invisibility potions, cc, interrupt, flasks, food, pots, etc. Basically everything in your arsenal to even dream of getting through it.
again don't want to race a clock.

I find it funny seeing a blue tell someone to ignore content, but it's totally true.

They're probably (if asked) also going to recommend not bothering to gem and enchant WotLK gear, and tell people instead to just start questing in the Cata areas. That doesn't prove that WotLK was bad, or the gear was bad, or CRZ is bad, or whatever else people are claiming it proves -- it just proves that better gear is now available, and there are more efficient uses of your play time if your goal is to gear up -- which has always been the case as new expansions, patches, and raid tiers are released.

True enough, but this is still MoP.

So while WoTLK content is clearly out of date and all that, I think it says something that there are so many different factions with so many dailies, and in 5.2 they let everyone bypass them almost entirely.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have done that or anything, but those Panda factions must have set some kind of record for being relegated to useless, even for alts.

Get boots by doing Sha of Anger. Literally fly by and if your faction is doing it, tag it and loot the quest item after.

Helmet can be found doing any of the following without touching LFR:
476 helm from PvP - Easily gotten by converting JP to Honor as you do your 5mans
496 helm from Galleon - Same thing, consistently up now

Within LFR you have a multitude of methods for getting a helmet.

Seriously if THIS is your complaint... a single slot that can't be filled with Valor purchases, a resource that is limited on a weekly basis, then I question what you're doing with the gear you do acquire and what you do with your time the rest of the week.
05/09/2013 03:07 PMPosted by Subatrocity
Can you point me to the SPA version of helm/boots?

Blacksmithing, son.

Having issues with reading or are you just in the habit of quoting people out of context?

The question was in reference to where I can buy *USING VALOR POINTS* (using caps so there's less chance of misunderstanding) a helmet and boots based off the Shado-Pan Assault faction (since his response was we should ignore the old factions and just work on the new ones since the new one doesn't require any sort of "grinding").

And as a side note: I find it interesting that one of the developer is actively advocating ignoring existing content. I guess, I shouldn't be surprised really. If this is the "vision", it's no wonder the game suffers from such piss poor replay value.

So you rather do a instance in 31mins rather than doing it in 9mins 34sec, and by the time you finished taking your time i would've done 3 of them already. And you still get less doing Heroic/Normal dungeons....Think about that.
I'm not sure. Do you feel like that was the best way to get Valor? It may be the slowest. Good for filling small gaps though. Get a few friends together, chain-run Challenge Modes = VP win.

http://www.wowhead.com/currency=396/valor-points

(+Heroic Scenarios will also be a good source in 5.3, only need 2 friends, and no spec requirements)

And to get to the ilvl needed for those heroic scenarios ?

Oh right, grind dailies for valor to get gear or run LFD/LFR and hope the incessant RNG in the game smiles on you.

Having an ilvl requirement for pre-formed group content is unnecessary gating and is one more mistake this development team is making in MOP, IMO.

If I and two of my friends want to team up and get our butts kicked trying to best the content we should be allowed to, enough with the hand holding.
actually shattered halls was my favorite of the bc heroics and I never had a problem for the quest in there guildies would ask me to run them thru there because they knew I would run that one every chance I got because I had that one down to a science.

Like I said, no Hand of A'dal or Champion of the Naaru, so I am highly doubtful.

But the thing is... you claim the above that you liked it and had it down to a science...

And then say this. The Shattered Halls quest was precisely that! A race against the clock! You had to get through pull after pull in an era of weak AoE (save for Paladins and easy-mode Consecrate) and the very real possibility that even holding all of them could overwhelm your Healer. There wasn't much CC needed for the place, and the bosses could be a thorn in your side if things got a bit unlucky (Ogre deaggro and Bladefist random dashes), so it was more of a "zerg" than any current Challenge Mode.

You are basically contradicting yourself for the sake of being argumentative.
Doing dailies for most people is the same as doing chores...some don't mind doing them while others do.
The question was in reference to where I can buy *USING VALOR POINTS* (using caps so there's less chance of misunderstanding) a helmet and boots based off the Shado-Pan Assault faction (since his response was we should ignore the old factions and just work on the new ones since the new one doesn't require any sort of "grinding").

You're unduly restricting yourself then if you limit it exclusively to VP when there are OTHER means for getting very usable gear upgrades out in the world. Between SPA, Kirin Tor, and Shieldwall, you can get pretty much every piece of gear you need that doesn't drop elsewhere for the purpose of Raiding! And other than SPA, you can grind both of those factions FAR easier than you can any of the other ones.

If you aren't Raiding... then why do you need anything other than a shabby blue/green? Not like questing is hard.
I'm not sure. Do you feel like that was the best way to get Valor? It may be the slowest. Good for filling small gaps though. Get a few friends together, chain-run Challenge Modes = VP win.

http://www.wowhead.com/currency=396/valor-points

(+Heroic Scenarios will also be a good source in 5.3, only need 2 friends, and no spec requirements)

And to get to the ilvl needed for those heroic scenarios ?

Oh right, grind dailies for valor to get gear or run LFD/LFR and hope the incessant RNG in the game smiles on you.

Having an ilvl requirement for pre-formed group content is unnecessary gating and is one more mistake this development team is making in MOP, IMO.

If I and two of my friends want to team up and get our butts kicked trying to best the content we should be allowed to, enough with the hand holding.

You don't have to do a single daily ever to get the ilvl required. This was a valid complaint at the beginning of the expansion. However, it's not anymore. Not to mention you don't have to do dailies for VP either, since I don't.

4 world bosses
LFR
Crafting

Just to name a few of the easy way of getting gear without dailies.

Get boots by doing Sha of Anger. Literally fly by and if your faction is doing it, tag it and loot the quest item after.

Helmet can be found doing any of the following without touching LFR:
476 helm from PvP - Easily gotten by converting JP to Honor as you do your 5mans
496 helm from Galleon - Same thing, consistently up now

Within LFR you have a multitude of methods for getting a helmet.

Seriously if THIS is your complaint... a single slot that can't be filled with Valor purchases, a resource that is limited on a weekly basis, then I question what you're doing with the gear you do acquire and what you do with your time the rest of the week.

Is it a requirement that when people post on these forums, they completely lose the ability to read something and understand the context?

The question initially was: Why do we have to grind factions to buy valor gear?

The response was: You don't have to grind faction, since you can ignore the old faction and stick with the new SPA faction, which cannot be "grind" anyways.

The follow up: SPA faction, which cannot be grind, does not offer helmets nor boots. So going back to the original point: TO SPEND VALOR POINTS, one must still grind faction if they plan on filling the helm/boot slots.

Saying that I can hit Sha of Anger or Galleon, makes about as much as sense as "you can just raid Twin Consort and get boots from them". Yeah, I can. And if I were asking "where can I get 5.2 epic boots", that would be a valid answer. But that wasn't exactly the question now was it?