How is Guild Wars 2?

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Sadly, it looks like my time in WoW is starting to come to an end for various reasons. One of my friends recommended I check out Guild Wars 2, but I just wanted to get some more opinions before I drop some money on it to know if it is worth it. I know that it is F2P, but hopefully it is not pay-to-win right? Also, how is the endgame PvE and is their anything like raids in it? Thank you for any advice!
its a fun game and definitely worth a buy. but if you're looking for end game raiding you're better off looking elsewhere because i don't believe GW2 has any intention of doing raids.

also it is not P2W, few f2p games are as this is just a term casually thrown out with most f2p games that offer any type of gear in a cash shop(though i don't believe GW2 does this either).
GW2 was great fun, but as I didnt know anyone who was playing the game, and people in general have become less and less friendly (IMO!) I had a hard time getting into the game. The classes are interesting, and the quests flow easily enough.
GW2 is fantastic. I would also take a look at SWTOR. It's thriving and the newbie areas are filled with people.
Its a good game as long as you are not expecting a wow clone. Don't go rushing through the game trying to get to max level as fast as you can. Just do whatever you find fun in the game and enjoy it.

If you are looking for raids probably stay away from it as well. Don't look for "end game" in the traditional sense because essentially the entire game is the "end game". The whole thing is supposed to be fun not just what happens when you are level capped.
Morphean, I was checking out swtor but I game on a Mac:p and it does not seem to have a Mac client.

Gw2 looks promising, but my remaining question is how many people are still playing it/ is it still thriving?
Thanks
GW2 is incredible overall, but if end game raiding is your thing, look elsewhere. Leveling is great, pvp is fun, and they have been putting out a steady stream of content and holiday events.

Secret World is a solid option if you want something with a very different aesthetic. Modern horror/conspiracy as the backdrop, and it does have raiding.
Honestly, the world in GW2 was lacking for me. The story that is. The actually aesthetics of the world is stunning, but there's too much empty plot for me. It was just hard for me to care about the stuff I was doing.

WoW does a much better job of that. Deathwing blowing up zones randomly, destroyed cities. Sha in Pandaria, corrupted faction leaders.

Too bad though, because GW2's art style and graphics were so gorgeous. But I was bored.
GW2 is a great game and it's easy to lose yourself for a few months in the game. At max level it becomes very grindy and it takes forever to accomplish things. You'll have your best in slot gear, roughly, a week after hitting max level and then the main point is to run dungeons and farm gold for vanity look purposes. It's easy to get gear. It's a lot harder to get gear that looks good and unique though. So at this point a lot of people start to lose interest but up until you get here it's fantastic.

The game is thriving (even low level zones). I log on from time to time and I still see a TON of people running around. The main cities are bursting with people and still go into Overflow mode.

As others have said, the best part is the payment model. You buy the game and it's yours. You, literally, do not need to spend another dime on the game ever again. However, if you choose to spend some real life money you'll get some convenience items, abilities and some vanity gear. And keep in mind that you can convert in game currency to real money currency so, again, you can get all of those convenience items and vanity items using in game currency if you're willing to grind a bit. It's an excellent system. There is absolutely no pay to win items or abilities in the game at all. It's all convenience or cosmetic.
One last note. The personal story is FANTASTIC up until about level 40 or so. At a certain point of the game it takes a turn and becomes downright terrible. Without any spoilers, it's pretty obvious when this happens.
One last note. The personal story is FANTASTIC up until about level 40 or so. At a certain point of the game it takes a turn and becomes downright terrible. Without any spoilers, it's pretty obvious when this happens.

Yeah I remember the last stretch of the main story I just stopped caring about it. i still enjoyed the general playtime of it but the story modes were no longer fun.

I still love gw1 more than gw2. GW1 is easily my favorite mmo and one of my favorite games.
GW2 is fantastic but I got bored because of the progression way. You can lvl up to max in the same zone if you want to. I found this sad since you don't feel progressing normally in a world made for that...anyway.

If you're looking for another good MMO, try GW2. Worth it.
05/12/2013 06:09 AMPosted by Aeoden
GW2 is fantastic but I got bored because of the progression way. You can lvl up to max in the same zone if you want to. I found this sad since you don't feel progressing normally in a world made for that...anyway.

This is probably the one point that I love most about GW2.

It has always made me sad that I'll level a WoW character past a zone/expansion continent and then never again have a reason to go back. I'd like to be able to pop into Winterspring on a whim and have some relevant gameplay available.
i started to play it a lot more and holy cows bat man i havent had this much fun in wvwvw in a long !@# time. i just wish ioj and dh wouldnt double team us.... but then again this is war !!!!!

the one complain i see the most is about is the leaving story is that its to slow.... well it started of slow because they are testing out the waters we are thie lab rats and not gona lie it started super slow the flame and frost but the last part of it and the new temp dun speechless... best dung ever!!! and this Tuesday we have another ls starting up

and then we have loot issue if you looking for a game for shinnies and best stat gear so you can gank poor folks this is not the game for you. because you can get max gear super easy if you want the cool looking gear you just have to grind a few dung or craft XD
I enjoy it, it gives me something to do and a different change of pace compare to WoW. I love the non-stop events, quests, storyline stuf, ect.
someone talked about having max gear within weeks of hitting level cap in GW2,they are full of crap,i have been playing GW2 nonstop since beta an still not max geared.You can do daily quests that grant whats called a laurel an a monthly quest which grants 10 laurels,an the best gear requires 40 laurels plus other items just for 1 piece,not to mention all the rewards from doing the different dungeons,especially the fractals
GW2 is fun until you max level....

Also dont play for the PVP....its a joke. 4 or 5(now?) maps...all capture a point and thats it. No other game modes.

Guild Wars 1 had some of the best PVP in any MMO...ever......
GW2 must have forgotten its roots (for PVP) when it came to that....or they dont have the old team who created GW1 PVP doing GW2 .

Other then that its fun for a while...

IMO..
Guild Wars 2's PvP is still better than WoW's. I haven't done a single arena since Burning Crusade and gear is 2/3 of WoW's PvP fights. It's Guild Wars 2's end-game PvE that really kills it as a credible alternative to WoW. The dungeons are beyond terrible and they remove the trinity without really replacing it with anything better.

Also, I hated Guild Wars 1. 200 skills per class that all do pretty much the same thing, PvE missions that take over 45 minutes and have you start all over again on a wipe, having to use a PvX build to be considered by other players, having to protect characters that do Leeroy Jenkins in story missions (lol Menhlo), no real crafting, lack of quests, etc, etc. You mentionned PvP but that's pretty much the only thing it did well. The other is multi-classing.

Overall I think Guild Wars 2 is better than its predecessor, but yeah it has no endgame because its PvP is not as popular as the devs wanted it to be, and its instanced PvE is a catastrophe that needs a full redesign.
gw2 personal story is awesome!!

i miss tybalt leftpaw... is there a tybalt in wow ? :'(
gw2 personal story is awesome!!

i miss tybalt leftpaw... is there a tybalt in wow ? :'(

The personal story is alright... until you get to level 50 or so when Trahearne shows up and just craps all over everything.