"Unknown" players on my Ignore List.

Bug Report
Same issue. Help, my ignore list is full of jerks and more keep spawning!
Same issue.
Same problem here. Looks like it's been going on for months so not going to hold my breath until Blizzard fixes it.

Looking into it further it looks like it goes back a year and a half or more.
Put someone on ignore last night. This morning they're showing up as unknown. I hope it's fixed some time soon. Do the unknowns count towards your limit for ignore list? If that's the case, that sucks. My list is full of Unknown. :(
I am reasonably sure we players were promised a resolution on this issue upon the arrival of patch 5.4. Well? Where's the big resolution from the developers?

And check this out.....it's not listed as one of the known issues on the sticky posts anywhere. Hmm, I think some people are pretending the problem isn't real....

Don't let this bug run any longer. Squash it already.
This bug still persists.
Safe to say they probably know about this. The best we can do is continue to post our frustrations here so that they may take notice. Sometimes quantity does help.

A small, naive part of me hopes that they're waiting to fix this when they put in account-wide ignores.
This problem still persists and I have run out of slots to ignore people on multiple characters. Please let us ignore more people and/or ignore battlenet accounts and also to remove people who don't seem to exist anymore.
Actually there is one kinda fix for "unknowns". I keep a list outside WoW because I want to keep comments on why, exactly, did I ignore this or that person.

All those "unknowns" are someone you ignored. If you try to ignore them again, the UI will say that person "is already being ignored." and that entry will update. I'm not sure if it's just a display bug or what.
Just recording strangeness.

To try to equalize my ignore list over all my toons (since Blizz won't do it for me), I was setting up macros.

I tested one macro of eight /ignore targets several times. The results were far from equal. The first time, all the names showed up new. The second time, running the exact same macro, only 5 stated "already being ignored" and the other three became "Unknown" on my list. The three that went unknown were on other realms, the 5 that remained were my home realm.

Each time running the same macro after that got alternating results. Each time the home realm ones would say "is already being ignored", but the other-realm names would switch between "is now being ignored" and becoming "Unknown".
Was just directed here by a lovely young shadow over on the CS boards, as I noticed I was experiencing this issue too (3 normal cross-server ignores, 19 unknowns, 3 RID goldsellers). I thought it might have something to do with Connected Realms (being involved in three of the four connection waves so far) but if this goes back to 5.3, I guess not haha
Bumping this thread because I have just today noticed this happening in my ignorelist as well, it's still a problem. Can we get anything from a Blue on this? At least an estimated time of fix? It's been an issue for a few months now it appears.
This bug makes sense. I'm not saying it isn't a bug or not worth fixing, but it makes sense given the limitations of the current server system.

You can't query information about players from other realms unless you have them battle-tagged or are in an instance/CRZ with them. So when the ignore list goes to display their name, it can't because it doesn't have access to that server.
half my ignore list is unknowns, try to remove them and get 'player not found'

so basically i am forced to listen to toxic players and can do nothing

come on blue
Could it be that all of these unknowns are players that you ignored, and then they deleted the ignored character?

I know for certain that the friends list works like this, or it use to.

I know for sure that this is not the cause of the many unknowns on my ignore list(s).
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9165407262#12

This bug makes sense. I'm not saying it isn't a bug or not worth fixing, but it makes sense given the limitations of the current server system.

You can't query information about players from other realms unless you have them battle-tagged or are in an instance/CRZ with them. So when the ignore list goes to display their name, it can't because it doesn't have access to that server.

Ignoring players from other servers worked fine prior to 5.3 and still works fine now...as long as you have room on your list to do it.

Ignoring players from other servers worked fine prior to 5.3 and still works fine now...as long as you have room on your list to do it.

But it only works while you have access to that character.

For example, you can't just randomly ignore Simca-Malfurion. I need to be in your dungeon or battleground or group.

That's the problem - when you log on, you don't have access to my information, so when the game goes to display me on your ignore list (as an example), it would display as Unknown.

So yes, ignoring on other servers works fine when it is needed. However, it still appears to be the the reason for the Unknowns too.
characters that had a rename done will still be on your friend or ignore but with the new name (i had this when LK came out)
as for "fix" the ignores, this will never be fixed.. make a new character and have another 20 slots to fill in, blizz has never done any effort since vanilla to upgrade the list even if has been requested for almost a decade by now
We are aware that this is a continuing issue however I currently have no eta on a fix.